What now for the EU ?

France and Lebanon have very close ties. Macron has acted admirably here.

of course they do, they're part of agreement Post WW1. Macron must be hoping for some very good news very soon, at the moment he's looking into some rather deep financial holes. Now how would he finance a Lebanese rescue package given the fact that he's the one to propose a single budgetary office for the Euro, which of course, by definition would mean that Paris would be hamstrung by Brussels. Moreover he has placed conditions on Help by reform that no arab country would tolerate- meaning there'll be diddly squat coming. Oh I know send a ship have a parade. Euronews was quite happy not to mention our paltry contribution.

Didnt say it was.

Just giving an example of how being an EU member state lets you punch well above your weight.
Only if you're small fry - you get dragged down if you're one of the big ones - unless you're France or Germany because they don't play by the rules anyway- which left the UK!

But who cares about that shit show anymore?

Didnt say it was.

Just giving an example of how being an EU member state lets you punch well above your weight.
They're not punching above their weight any more than a committee member blocking a proposal which suits everyone except them.

The EU could be a powerhouse if they were a United States and had fiscal and taxation harmony, but everything is fcuked up by the politics.

There has been plenty of discussion about the benefits of remaining, which are now obviated.

As for us getting some balls back, I dontbthink we ever really lost them.

Second most influential country on earth, our Armed Forces are constantly on Ops of various sizes, and I'd suggest we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet, rather than a solo state going it alone with a poor hand.
As Grac kindly pointed out, under EU rules we couldn't even use a British company to make British passports.

Thankfully the British public have a set of balls and decided we wanted out of this ponzi scheme.

Didnt say it was.

Oh dear! That's not punching above your weight, that's having 27 brakes on your economy. If you want to continue the boxing analogy, it's like having to consult with your corner before throwing a punch.

It's evidence that the EU can't act in an agile and responsive way in new and challenging trading conditions. They'll always be 27 steps behind - and still inward-looking. It's further evidence that Von der Leyen, Verhofstadt and all the other federalists will demand more political union, less democracy and total federal power in Brussels. By the time they get everyone to agree to it, it'll be too late - the EU project will be spark out on the mat.

Oh dear! That's not punching above your weight, that's having 27 brakes on your economy. If you want to continue the boxing analogy, it's like having to consult with your corner before throwing a punch.

It's evidence that the EU can't act in an agile and responsive way in new and challenging trading conditions. They'll always be 27 steps behind - and still inward-looking. It's further evidence that Von der Leyen, Verhofstadt and all the other federalists will demand more political union, less democracy and total federal power in Brussels. By the time they get everyone to agree to it, it'll be too late - the EU project will be spark out on the mat.
The nonsense of being unable to agree which city or country in which the seat of power should convene is testament to the fundamental political problems of the EU.

Fudged by spending substantial amounts of cash to traipse between offices is an increasingly unaffordable compromise.

Whataboutery.
Cypruses membership of the EU gives them huge leverage on a matter of their own self interest.

I'm not talking about the effect this has on the EU.

Whataboutery.
Cypruses membership of the EU gives them huge leverage on a matter of their own self interest.

I'm not talking about the effect this has on the EU.
Why not?

It is the effectiveness or otherwise of the EU construct that's under discussion, as per the thread title.

The nonsense of being unable to agree which city or country in which the seat of power should convene is testament to the fundamental political problems of the EU.

Fudged by spending substantial amounts of cash to traipse between offices is an increasingly unaffordable compromise.
Pah! €114,000,000 from a budget of 165,800,000,000 is chicken feed!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The limpster left Belgium on a bit of a hurry
The never-served civvie has still not realised (despite repeated posts over 4 years) that I am a Eurosceptic who never thought that leaving would be worth the candle. At least he has his long-predicted and world-beating recession.

Well done.

The never-served civvie has still not realised (despite repeated posts over 4 years) that I am a Eurosceptic who never thought that leaving would be worth the candle. At least he has his long-predicted and world-beating recession.

Well done.
Of course you are :roll:

You remind me of a young officer who joined the Bn straight out of the factory, on Buck House he did a patrol during the night and asked the Gdsm at the rear of the palace what would you do if a submarine was coming down the mall? The Gdsm replied I would depth charge it. Where would you get your depth charges the officer asked. Gdsm replied, same place as you got your effin submarine.

Well done.
A recession of sorts always was, and always will be on the cards.

I'd be interested to hear of alternative points of view on ways the EU might dig themselves out of it.

Truxx

LE
Of course you are :roll:

You remind me of a young officer who joined the Bn straight out of the factory, on Buck House he did a patrol during the night and asked the Gdsm at the rear of the palace what would you do if a submarine was coming down the mall? The Gdsm replied I would depth charge it. Where would you get your depth charges the officer asked. Gdsm replied, same place as you got your effin submarine.
The answer would have been to stick a round in the chamber, adopt an aggressive standing fire position and loudly exclaim

"HALT. Who Goes there?"

Just like Lcpl "Ted" Shields did on Warbarrow beach when nine thousand tons of landing ship beached in front of him.

Last edited:
The answer would have been to stick a round in the chamber, adopt an aggressive standing fire position and loudly exclaim

"HALT. Who Goes there?"

Just like Lcpl "Ted" Shields did on Warbarrow beach when nine thousand tone of landing ship beached in front of him.
A Guardsman would be confused if the challenged party didn't halt on the correct foot.

Latest Threads