Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

There has been plenty of discussion about the benefits of remaining, which are now obviated.

As for us getting some balls back, I dontbthink we ever really lost them.

Second most influential country on earth, our Armed Forces are constantly on Ops of various sizes, and I'd suggest we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet, rather than a solo state going it alone with a poor hand.

Never mind, we are where we are.

anglo

LE
There has been plenty of discussion about the benefits of remaining, which are now obviated.

Second most influential country on earth, our Armed Forces are constantly on Ops of various sizes, and I'd suggest we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet, rather than a solo state going it alone with a poor hand.
On one hand,
Second most influential country on earth

On the other hand
we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet

Make your mine up which is it

yTkrpodAc.jpg

Oops

War Hero
My Granddad used to have Eicher, but if you really want a Fendt you sure can have one. You just have to sing Ode to joy, Marseillaise, Deutschlandlied and all the other 25 Anthems every forthnight Saturdays at 0700hrs sharp.
I do.....
However all I seem to get is;
"Null pointes"

Humperdoo

Clanker
On one hand,
Second most influential country on earth

On the other hand
we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet

Make your mine up which is it

View attachment 497070
Makes you wonder why we need the EU then if we are this influential. David Cameron can attest to the strength of this "influence" during his er "strong" leadership shown to the EU prior to the referendum.

and I'd suggest we had more influence as a major player in the biggest trading bloc on the planet, rather than a solo state going it alone with a poor hand.
well that's probably true to a point, problem with that bloc when it goes nipples up with a Looming Eurocrisis, we might just have lost one of our cards. More over La belle France ain't exactly on message re Lebanon, trying to outdo our slender help in the full knowledge that it probably won't be able to pay it's bills. After all why do they need our money to do their job. Particularly that for for the last 12 years we've been contributing to Brussels to do theirs. Epic fail that one.

Makes you wonder why we need the EU then if we are this influential. David Cameron can attest to the strength of this "influence" during his er "strong" leadership shown to the EU prior to the referendum.
Well, that economic giant Cyprus is holding both Canada and the EU over a barrel because of their interest in haloumi cheese...

well that's probably true to a point, problem with that bloc when it goes nipples up with a Looming Eurocrisis, we might just have lost one of our cards. More over La belle France ain't exactly on message re Lebanon, trying to outdo our slender help in the full knowledge that it probably won't be able to pay it's bills. After all why do they need our money to do their job. Particularly that for for the last 12 years we've been contributing to Brussels to do theirs. Epic fail that one.
France and Lebanon have very close ties. Macron has acted admirably here.

anglo

LE
Even less influential when the new veto rules kick in, and Lisbon treaty give the EU the power to do it
Example....

Some of the ideas are likely to generate debate.
Among them is a plan to prevent EU states from using veto powers to block legislation in areas that usually demand an unanimous agreement, like in taxation.
Taxation is often seen as a national prerogative where some EU states like Luxembourg and Malta have managed to prevent EU-level reforms given their veto powers.
But the EU commission is now pushing for a qualified majority voting based on article 48 of the Lisbon Treaty for legislation on "internal market matters" in an effort to break such deadlocks.

“Article 48 of the Lisbon Treaty gives the EU powers to amend its own treaties, without recourse to an intergovernmental conference or a new Treaty. ... In real terms this means that in the future significant changes could be made to the structure, procedures or competencies of the EU without the guarantee of a referendum.

Humperdoo

Clanker

Howay man, do you really believe all of that. It's the same argument that was consistently spoken by remain; "we can reform form within". Maastrict/Lisbon says otherwise.
Unfortunately, Macron, Merkel, China, Russia etc and up until recently Ireland! disagrees. Not to mention, various politicians, in both the UK and abroad, the media, remain fanatics including celebs etc etc.
If our balls are still there we need to get hold of em. Post COVID international relations will be very interesting.

I suspect not. It however much more indicative of the mindset that we face. 1988 was the year we should have had the referendum with the Maastricht treaty remember? Oh It was all so smugly inviting but we never got it under Thatcher, Major or Blair. I have on my desk a memento of those years with a single Market Paperweight. I remember seeing the proposals put out by Cand E and my comments in the margin. I took some flak then but I've been proved right. But your vid was an excellent reminder of the mindset back then. Smoke ,Mirrors promise and zilch.

Latest Threads