What now for the EU ?

Truxx

LE
Very true and very rarely challenged by the media. Because like bravo 2, the objectivity is absent and a wish to create a tough question, to then challenge the evil brexit UK Government minister, is more important and all rather puerile. Leaving with no deal, seems the only solution and whereas I personally was against the idea back in the day, it seems the EU leaves us no other choice.
I was always a no deal (at least at first) supporter. First because it was not in fact no deal as in nothing, but rather a reversion to the trading arrangements in place for our trade relationship with the non eu world. WTO.

The continuing project fear label of "no deal" is bandied about like the fifth horse of the apocalypse, a myth questioned by greater business brains than I.

But the main reason that I have been comfortable with the prospect ( especially as most organisations have had 4 years to get their heads around it) is that the prospect must concentrate minds on the other side of the channel.

In this regard that bus picture is entirely relevant. But not for the reasons the trolls think. We could dick around all day over the figure, and the could, and the should.Whichever way you look at it, the euro projekt is going to dip out big time just at the very moment it could use the cash.

So as many have said, the thread is about what happens now to the EU.

And as our resident (German) colleague has noted it looks a bit fornicated.

So pictures of teary toddlers, buses and Dr Fox quotes aside , all of which have appeared and been fcuked off at the high port endless times previously, it is very difficult to see that whatever fudge and stunt the Borg might pull, any trade arrangement with the UK is the very least of their problems.

Oops

War Hero
You nasty little Englanders thwarted that attempt on real EUropean greatness back then und you do it again. But this time the Le Grande Forza Armate Wehrmacht will win.
An d then all of you will have to eat Pfälzer Saumagen every day.
Can I have ( edit; overpriced ) Fendt tractor then?
Bitte.

Feel free yourself

Cheerio
So you can't back up your blagging "statement".

Didn't think you could...

Ha ha.

You'll annoy Mr. Y. I Banzai by "Quote mining" even if you post the whole thing. Not that you can, of course...

I was always a no deal (at least at first) supporter. First because it was not in fact no deal as in nothing, but rather a reversion to the trading arrangements in place for our trade relationship with the non eu world. WTO.

The continuing project fear label of "no deal" is bandied about like the fifth horse of the apocalypse, a myth questioned by greater business brains than I.

But the main reason that I have been comfortable with the prospect ( especially as most organisations have had 4 years to get their heads around it) is that the prospect must concentrate minds on the other side of the channel.

In this regard that bus picture is entirely relevant. But not for the reasons the trolls think. We could dick around all day over the figure, and the could, and the should.Whichever way you look at it, the euro projekt is going to dip out big time just at the very moment it could use the cash.

So pictures of teary toddlers, buses and Dr Fox quotes aside , all of which have appeared and been fcuked off at the high port endless times previously, it is very difficult to see that whatever fudge and stunt the Borg might pull, any trade arrangement with the UK is the very least of their problems.
I don't recall any pre-referendum caveats regarding needing to formulate any type of deal if we left.

It was an artificial construct shoe-horned clumsily into place as a holding action until a "People's Vote" could be gerrymandered into producing the correct referendum result.

That went well, didn't it?

Then you should understand that the words 'should be' changes the whole context from the mine quote 'easiest deal in history'.

I say you should, but if you're really dumb, then you won't.

Get it yet?
Well, first of all it doesn't, and secondly, I've posted a video of him giving the whole quote.

Have you recently suffered a blow to the head? Dizzy spells?

The EU for the past three years has claimed that it doesn't know what our side wants ? I've heard that statement enough times on channel 4 news from the voices of europe on the show.

Lots of things are easy, a marriage for instance is a doddle, so long as you go along with everything the fuhrer demands.. But when a break comes, the deal making, requires both parties to be willing to debate and the understanding what the other side wants, to find a compromise.

I am baffled why you never give an objective view, that the EU is and remains a bad faith player. The inability to see that (validating our exit), is your achilles heel and the same narrow logic that the 'EU is good, because eh it is', will eventually see its eventual demise.
I have at no point made any comment as to the EU position.

However, if you think they won't negotiate to get the best deal for the EU, fair enough.

I suppose, my view was based on an assumption that the EU could set aside politics and act in the best interests of its member states when the time came. That view has been strongly overturned, on countless set piece clashes that see that you and others 'no deal/wto' were right all along.

On the future of the EU the covid pandemic will have had a serious effect on people that is untested at the ballot box and those who want to burn money on vanity projects (EU), will face some serious questions in the coming years as the chickens fail to roost.

Whatever trade problems the EU has WRT to the UK will have a fraction of the impact of the problems we will have with the EU.

And as for the downside of leaving with a WTO "deal":

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
the Commission has said they will go to the markets for money, now if the markets demand usurious rates of interest, what do they do then?
There will be two sorts of borrowing in the EU:
  1. By the EU/ECB to try and stop the euro falling in a heap
  2. By the member states to try and roll over their debt pile.
I'd suggest the interest rates on (1) won't be too bad - the presumption will be that ultimately Germany will bankroll ECB debt.

The interest rates on (2) will essentially be determined by the markets. I suspect they'll stay low for quite a while as the markets wait to see it (1) will stop the impending fuster cluck. But eventually they'll start to push interest rates up for the more vulnerable countries - interest rates are after all a measure of the risk of lending to a state. More risk = higher interest rate. then the death spiral starts.

Remember being a member of the euro didn't stop interest rates for the PIIGS starting to spiral out of control as the markets realised that their debt was not sustainable. Which resulted in four countries (including the ROI) getting EU bailouts on very harsh terms + Spain needing a partial bailout of its banking system.

Obviously @irlsgt has forgotten the austerity his benevolent EU forced on the ROI.

The EC-‐IMF-‐ECB (Troika) loan programme which Ireland entered in December 2010 has severely constrained domestic budgetary discretion: all budget decisions must be cleared with the Troika, fiscal performance is subject to quarterly reviews, and Troika personnel are embedded in the core government departments.
The Troika essentially dictated Irish spending policy in the aftermath of the Lehman crash. Or to put it another way, Brussels had more control over the Irish economy than the Irish parliament.

There will be more of the same for vulnerable member states this time round.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
More Italian Banking woes. Now who in their right mind will buy the Italian Governments stake, step forward the ECB, so more money from the EU to prop up the Italian Banking Sector. Italy is riddled with banks like this, small provincial and poorly run.

The UK at least put its banking system in order after the Lehman crash.

It's thought that there are many 'Zombie' banks on the continent just waiting for another recession to push them over the edge - cf the above link. When you factor in inter-bank lending, the failure of one bank can trigger wider consequences.

That said, I don't think the UK banking sector is going to escape unscathed. RBS is still f---ed up from the last recession and Fred the Shred's genius management - I can see it being dismembered this time around. And I fully expect further examples of massively stupid lending/investments to emerge as our other UK banks come under financial strain. Although not as bad as last time around.

The ECB is less stringent in supervision than the B of E - we will have to see what happens when its Pandora's box of banking is opened...

Wordsmith

The fun starts when you reconcile dates on the various forums............when this happens.

View attachment 496951
I'm finding the whole micromeltown currently unfolding in his veiny, throbbing head most amusing:

"I'm a respected scientist, see, who has published in Nature magazine nearly but not quite but I was published in a pamphlet owned by someone who once knew the brother of a bloke who worked in a magazine owned by the same parent company so that's exactly the same as being published in Nature.

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?"

Can I have ( edit; overpriced ) Fendt tractor then?
Bitte.
My Granddad used to have Eicher, but if you really want a Fendt you sure can have one. You just have to sing Ode to joy, Marseillaise, Deutschlandlied and all the other 25 Anthems every forthnight Saturdays at 0700hrs sharp.

Humperdoo

Swinger
So you can't back up your blagging "statement".

Didn't think you could...

Ha ha.

You'll annoy Mr. Y. I Banzai by "Quote mining" even if you post the whole thing. Not that you can, of course...
Serious question, but what are you actually trying to achieve? You do know the world has moved on since 2016, so your posts are irrelevant. Would it not make sense to debate the current situation between the UK and the EU? Plus, within the spirit of the thread, where you think the EU is heading post Brexit and COVID. I'm new to the site and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but you are coming across as bit of bellend.

Serious question, but what are you actually trying to achieve? You do know the world has moved on since 2016, so your posts are irrelevant. Would it not make sense to debate the current situation between the UK and the EU? Plus, within the spirit of the thread, where you think the EU is heading post Brexit and COVID. I'm new to the site and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but you are coming across as bit of bellend.
When you get to know him better you will understand the word 'bit' is a massive understatement.