What now for the EU ?

Oyibo

LE
Interesting to see the French police and firefighters having a scrap with each other

Strictly speaking, it's Police vs Army (the Paris Fire Brigade is a military unit).

Strictly speaking, it's Police vs Army (the Paris Fire Brigade is a military unit).
well, the Gendarmes come under the Military too.

blu et blu - plus de fratricide, pas the fraternite!

Oyibo

LE
well, the Gendarmes come under the Military too.

blu et blu - plus de fratricide, pas the fraternite!
They are CRS, so come under the police.

They are CRS, so come under the police.
plus de confusion!

Police Nationale - civilian et pas de nails!
CRS - Police Nationale avec nails!
gendarmes - Militaire avec beaucoup nails!

Oyibo

LE
plus de confusion!

To add to the confusion: Marseilles Fire and Rescue - Navy

Oyibo

LE
One assumed an AAR has being compiled, the question is who won ?
I haven't really been following the action too much, but having read the following article:

it appears they weren't Paris Fire Brigade who were demonstrating. Also some were arrested.

So the brief AAR would be: CRS 1 - Civvies Nil

I haven't really been following the action too much, but having read the following article:
it appears they weren't Paris Fire Brigade who were demonstrating. Also some were arrested.
My (retired) neighbour was Paris FB where he did his national service.
As stated they are military and can't strike, but the other 235,000 in the country can.
And are, especially the retained blokes in the country.
This demo was where they were trying to break through onto the Peripherique, away from the authorised route.
Still not good to see visually though, especially for Macron.

Interesting to see the French police and firefighters having a scrap with each other

Not for the first time. A few years ago a French fireman had his hand blown off in an EM moment when he picked up a stun grenade that the police had launched in his direction.

Thought so, the CRS are not to be trifled with.

Oyibo

LE
Thought so, the CRS are not to be trifled with.
According to a French bloke I worked with (who used to be a sapeur-pompier in Paris) there are two types in the CRS: The older individuals who were trained to go in hard and kick the f*ck out of everything, and the new generation who are trained more in poncey stuff like minimum use of force. But I'm sure they can still dish out a good kicking.

According to a French bloke I worked with (who used to be a sapeur-pompier in Paris) there are two types in the CRS: The older individuals who were trained to go in hard and kick the f*ck out of everything, and the new generation who are trained more in poncey stuff like minimum use of force. But I'm sure they can still dish out a good kicking.
Either way, macron appears to be toast... I suppose the establishment will have to pull another non-entity out of the woodwork to convince the french people to stay away from those nasty populists.

Looks like they had themselves a little straightener afterwards.

Good, clean fun.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
plus de confusion!

Not necessarily, mon ami, PN are run by the Ministry of the Interior and civilian and look after major cities and large towns.
The National Gendarmerie are part of the French Armed Forces but are run by the MotI as well and look after mainly rural areas and smaller towns as well as the border areas.
The CRS are the reserve of the PN used primarily for riot/crowd control.
There is also the Mobile Gendarmerie who, basically, do the same job as the CRS.

Latest Threads