What now for the EU ?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My way forward on this thread is to only address the subject, rather that get waylaid by the Clown talking about early byzantine church music (or somesuch).

So. The future if the EU!

Not exactly rosy, is it?
I don't see the future of either the UK or the EU as particularly rosy at the moment.

BoJo and his government need to wrench their attention away from Covid 19 and realise economic recovery is the priority. The number of Covid 19 cases is going up, but the number of Covid 19 deaths is not. The government needs to put out firm guidelines.
  • Individuals must take responsibility for not transmitting Covid 19.
  • 2 metre separation + masks in public places
  • Over 70's back in self-isolation - that's the age group from which most deaths come.
  • Furlough scheme to end in October - most of those still on furlough won't have jobs to go back to, so best to get the pain over quickly.
The UK can then focus on getting its economy going again - the faster that happens, the less long term economic pain we suffer.

We are fortunate in only having one government (at Westminster, despite the delusions of Wee Nippy). If that government gets its act together, we can take swift steps that are purely in the UK's interests.

The EU will not be able to act so decisively. What action is takes will be indecisive - because not all nations will stomach decisive action. And anyway, the EU will split between the fiscally prudent north - who will want the south to bear the bulk of the Covid financial pain - and the south, who will want access to the magic money tree.

The European Commission is sure to make a power grab - demanding even more power from the member states. Which will predictably stoke up further resent at the EU.

And the German Constitutional Court may throw a hand grenade into the works by upholding it's decision on the illegality of the ECB's QE program. Which will throw the euro into crisis.

Personally, I'd say the UK is heading into a serious financial crisis - which will require BoJo to develop some testicular fortitude if we are to put out of it relatively quickly.

I'd also say the EU and euro are heading for the intensive care ward - which they may not exit alive; or if they do, emerge permanently crippled.

Wordsmith

Truxx

LE
You said the doctor was an inappropriate expert... Which is a strange claim because he was just asked to explain what happens to patients who do not get their medicine.

As you claimed - they needed a logistics expert. Lets test that assumption of yours... Here is an experiment - lets see how it goes.

Tell us what happens if someone with epilepsy is denied their medication. And then what happens if someone with diabetes is denied theirs.

Intellectual prowess you say?
Ok brane

If those drugs are normally supplied from a supplier in Holland and the additional hassle adds a 6 hour delay to the delivery of these items what should be done about it?

As for the diabetes one I can answer that.

The answer is that each insulin dependent diabetic will be issued an additional 21 days supply whilst extra stocks will be held at local diabetic centres. In addition arrangements will be made to cross service supplies from other centres if needed.

In addition the roll-out of libre digital monitoring devices, enabling a diabetic to more quickly identify blood sugar levels and, more particularly trends (using an app on a mobile phone) is accelerated, together with a doubling up of the emergency combo pens issued to supporters and carers in case any patient suffers a debilitating hypo.

This is even well practiced as we have now approached a no- deal precipice not once but twice.

Oh and whilst the current source of insulin is the EU we are perfectly capable of producing all that we need. Oh and loads of non eu countries produce it. Oh and in modern packaging it has a very long shelf life and does not even require refrigeration.

Last edited:
A "supply chain expert" who is not a logistian?

Blimey. That's a new one on me.
There is sometimes a bit of confusion on the definition to be fair
That confusion is generally from people who've heard about logistics but never axtually had anything to do with it

Ok brane

If those drugs are normally supplied from a supplier in Holland and the additional hassle adds a 6 hour delay to the delivery of these items what should be done about it?

As for the diabetes one I can answer that.

The answer is that each insulin dependent diabetic will be issued an additional 21 days supply whilst extra stocks will be held at local diabetic centres. In addition arrangements will be made to cross service supplies from other centres if needed.

In addition the roll-out of libre digital monitoring devices, enabling a diabetic to more quickly identify blood sugar levels and, more particular trends (using an app on a mobile phone) is accelerated, together with a doubling up of the emergency combo pens issued to supporters and carers in case any patient suffers a debilitating hypo.

This is even well practiced as we have now approached a no- deal precipice not once but twice.

Oh and whilst the current source of insulin is the EU we are perfectly capable of producing all that we need. Oh and loads of non eu countries produce it. Oh and in modern packaging it has a very long shelf life and does not even require refrigeration.
No your job was to explain the patient outcomes. That way they can decide if it’s a priority issue or not.

Truxx

LE
I don't see the future of either the UK or the EU as particularly rosy at the moment.

BoJo and his government need to wrench their attention away from Covid 19 and realise economic recovery is the priority. The number of Covid 19 cases is going up, but the number of Covid 19 deaths is not. The government needs to put out firm guidelines.
  • Individuals must take responsibility for not transmitting Covid 19.
  • 2 metre separation + masks in public places
  • Over 70's back in self-isolation - that's the age group from which most deaths come.
  • Furlough scheme to end in October - most of those still on furlough won't have jobs to go back to, so best to get the pain over quickly.
The UK can then focus on getting its economy going again - the faster that happens, the less long term economic pain we suffer.

We are fortunate in only having one government (at Westminster, despite the delusions of Wee Nippy). If that government gets its act together, we can take swift steps that are purely in the UK's interests.

The EU will not be able to act so decisively. What action is takes will be indecisive - because not all nations will stomach decisive action. And anyway, the EU will split between the fiscally prudent north - who will want the south to bear the bulk of the Covid financial pain - and the south, who will want access to the magic money tree.

The European Commission is sure to make a power grab - demanding even more power from the member states. Which will predictably stoke up further resent at the EU.

And the German Constitutional Court may throw a hand grenade into the works by upholding it's decision on the illegality of the ECB's QE program. Which will throw the euro into crisis.

Personally, I'd say the UK is heading into a serious financial crisis - which will require BoJo to develop some testicular fortitude if we are to put out of it relatively quickly.

I'd also say the EU and euro are heading for the intensive care ward - which they may not exit alive; or if they do, emerge permanently crippled.

Wordsmith
My own observation is that whilst the economy has taken a severe bash it is by no means down and out. I spent the day today in Pooley Bridge which was choc a block with tourists. Work was continuing on building the replacement bridge and without a reservation it was tricky to find a space in any cafe pub or restraint, they were jammed to the gunwhales.

Timing, they say, is everything, but things were looking rosy from where I was standing.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My own observation is that whilst the economy has taken a severe bash it is by no means down and out. I spent the day today in Pooley Bridge which was choc a block with tourists. Work was continuing on building the replacement bridge and without a reservation it was tricky to find a space in any cafe pub or restraint, they were jammed to the gunwhales.

Timing, they say, is everything, but things were looking rosy from where I was standing.
I visited two retail malls over the weekend: the Galleria in Hatfield and the Marlowes in Hemel Hempstead. In both of those about a third of the shops were boarded up and closed. Shopper numbers were low, and people didn't seem to be spending, except on essentials.

I think the picture is pretty patchy and the government is going to have to work hard to restore economic confidence.

Wordsmith

I've come to this thread rather late but it still seems the blobster is spouting on about the discredited doctor who breathlessly exclaimed to JRM that people would die due to medicines not being available post-Brexit. I'm sure we dealt with this a thousand threads ago... so to reiterate...

The stooge doctor claimed to have worked on Yellowhammer. He did briefly. His only contribution was in the early stage threat assessment i.e. the worst case scenario. If we failed to get x, y and z drugs from the continent, how many people might be at risk. His piece of work assumed all people at risk under said scenario would die - mildly absurd and certainly not based on any verifiable data.

Most importantly though, he was never involved or had any knowledge of the mitigation processes that fell out from the early-doors threat assessment and was unaware of any of the plans developed to eradicate the risks his work highlighted. Nonetheless, he spouted his death figures as if they were factual when, in fact, mitigation had already been put in place to prevent this happening.

Said doc was an out-and-out leftie, snowflake, anti-Brexiteer fraud whose sole reason for coming on the talk show was to try to embarrass JRM. He was denounced at the time as a stooge and for providing false information (or at a pinch 2% of factual evidence, 98% Greta-stylee-sky-falling-in-apocolypse-death-shock-horror). The bloke was and is a total arse.

Once again blobster is spouting shyte, who'd have thunked it.

I've come to this thread rather late but it still seems the blobster is spouting on about the discredited doctor who breathlessly exclaimed to JRM that people would die due to medicines not being available post-Brexit. I'm sure we dealt with this a thousand threads ago... so to reiterate...

The stooge doctor claimed to have worked on Yellowhammer. He did briefly. His only contribution was in the early stage threat assessment i.e. the worst case scenario. If we failed to get x, y and z drugs from the continent, how many people might be at risk. His piece of work assumed all people at risk under said scenario would die - mildly absurd and certainly not based on any verifiable data.

Most importantly though, he was never involved or had any knowledge of the mitigation processes that fell out from the early-doors threat assessment and was unaware of any of the plans developed to eradicate the risks his work highlighted. Nonetheless, he spouted his death figures as if they were factual when, in fact, mitigation had already been put in place to prevent this happening.

Said doc was an out-and-out leftie, snowflake, anti-Brexiteer fraud whose sole reason for coming on the talk show was to try to embarrass JRM. He was denounced at the time as a stooge and for providing false information (or at a pinch 2% of factual evidence, 98% Greta-stylee-sky-falling-in-apocolypse-death-shock-horror). The bloke was and is a total arse.

Once again blobster is spouting shyte, who'd have thunked it.

Links for this please. I mean links refuting him...

Also you raise an excellent point - the only people who claimed him to be wrong on his predictions, were not in any way medical experts and all pro Brexit.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
I visited two retail malls over the weekend: the Galleria in Hatfield and the Marlowes in Hemel Hempstead. In both of those about a third of the shops were boarded up and closed. Shopper numbers were low, and people didn't seem to be spending, except on essentials.

I think the picture is pretty patchy and the government is going to have to work hard to restore economic confidence.

Wordsmith
Fair comment but my own assessment is that fundamentally confidence remains in spades. One of the interesting experiences from my part of the economy is there was a change of gear around the middle of june from what could be described as a short term issue to the realisation that this was very much long term. In doing so folks dug in.this bodes well.

Truxx

LE

Also you raise an excellent point - the only people who claimed him to be wrong on his predictions, were not in any way medical experts and all pro Brexit.
The most excellent point he raises is contained in the last sentence.

Truxx

LE

Why are you demanding links whilst skipping over requests to justify your own wibble?

Why are you demanding links whilst skipping over requests to justify your own wibble?
There are no links is the point - no one with the same qualifications claimed he is wrong. The only people who said he is wrong, were non-medically qualified Brexit supporters and other assorted idiots.

Truxx

LE
There are no links is the point - no one with the same qualifications claimed he is wrong. The only people who said he is wrong, were non-medically qualified Brexit supporters and other assorted idiots.
What about links to your spurious claims to me declaring that I was an expert in drugs?

Ah come to think of it you are right.

There are no links to that

Latest Threads