What now for the EU ?

It's worth nothing that despite what has gone between the the UK and Ireland in the past few years, the British are more than twice as willing to help the Irish than the average for the EU countries listed, and significantly more willing than the second place country (Denmark).
Yers but that’s because, Nationalism aside, we’ve had a commonality with Ireland since Roman times and before. In fact Nationalism recently has done Ireland no favours and neither has anti English sentiment. It used , in part to be part of the Danish empire as were the rest of the U.K. the paradox being that the Nationalists will either have to ditch the lie that their distaste for the British Empire can be replaced for a liking of a EUropean one based in Brussels. The most virulent one started in Victorian times is that some how a Celtic driven economy is any better than a Teutonic one given their common roots In Celtoi.
The fact that Kings of England, not English Kings demanded adherence to English norms is in fact no different to Brussels demanding conformity. How many atrocities have the Nationalists committed in Europe against the EU? None. It means of course that their supposed requirement of control of the whole Island is a lie and always has been.

The French want 30 million to police their own waters.

We should bill them 100,000 for every immigrant lilo that we catch in our waters...

The French want 30 million to police their own waters.

We should bill them 100,000 for every immigrant lilo that we catch in our waters...
Frankly, all the demands for more UK cash is ripping the arrse out of it.
Yesterday morning on ‘Today’ there was some official from Calais whinging that it cost them 8 million a year to check every truck going through the port for illegals: a figure they could not afford and Britain should, therefore, pay.
Imagine my surprise when, about 4h later, I read a report stating the M25 was blocked due to police stopping a truck with ‘people’ being seen climbing out of the trailer and legging it.
Every vehicle checked?
The French should be doing more to prevent the boats leaving their shoreline. Apparently they launch from a 30 mile stretch of coastline.
Somewhere in that stretch there’ll be FUPs to which pax and boats are transported during the night to be called forward and launched just before dawn.
UAVs/drones with IR cameras could surely be deployed to spot. With police/troops on the ground the launches could be interdicted.
There’ll be flaws in that argument, I know: just thinking off the top of my head.
We could, of course, lend them some manpower.
I read that the Poole area is overcrowded with tourists. Maybe some chaps from that neck of the woods would welcome an opportunity for a bit of wild camping in an area where they could play with some drones!

Truxx

LE
Yesterday morning on ‘Today’ there was some official from Calais whinging that it cost them 8 million a year to check every truck going through the port for illegals: a figure they could not afford and Britain should, therefore, pay.
Imagine my surprise when, about 4h later, I read a report stating the M25 was blocked due to police stopping a truck with ‘people’ being seen climbing out of the trailer and legging it.
Every vehicle checked?
The French should be doing more to prevent the boats leaving their shoreline. Apparently they launch from a 30 mile stretch of coastline.
Somewhere in that stretch there’ll be FUPs to which pax and boats are transported during the night to be called forward and launched just before dawn.
UAVs/drones with IR cameras could surely be deployed to spot. With police/troops on the ground the launches could be interdicted.
There’ll be flaws in that argument, I know: just thinking off the top of my head.
I read that the Poole area is overcrowded with tourists. Maybe some chaps from that neck of the woods would welcome an opportunity for a bit of wild camping in an area where they could play with some drones!
I dont suppose that it has occurred to the Ffrench to stop them coming into ffrance in the first place?

No?

Thought not.

Every vehicle checked?
Which of course ignores the fact that BF are the ones checking at Sangatte for the shuttle and have been since I can remember. Moreover it’s evident that the risk of being chucked out of a lorry is higher that blagging a rib and leaving from a beach. The French are the ones checking at Calais for the ferry’s. So the 30 million is for what? More beach babes

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The French are the ones checking at Calais for the ferry’s. So the 30 million is for what? More beach babes
I keep repeating this.

The Ffrench do not like us.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
incorrect

and all those you have signed are carbon copies of the agreements the EU has

Congratulations on posting an out of date link. This is actually the current one.

Which lists 20 trade agreements that will be signed the instant we leave the EU, and a further 18 at an advanced stage. And then we have
The UK has signed MRAs that replicate the effect of existing EU arrangements. These are expected to take effect from 1 January 2021. The withdrawal agreement allows for the EU’s arrangements to continue to apply to the UK until then.

The UK has signed MRAs with:
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • United States of America
Finally, so what if we're replicated existing EU trade agreements? Such agreement can be modified later by mutual agreement.

Which is something Ireland can't do - because you signed over a lot of your sovereignty to the EU....

Wordsmith

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
A thought has just occurred.

Maybe all the French fisherfolk can spend their time returning the inflatables and ribs to French shores?

After all very soon they will have nowt else to do.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If it helps your tiny little country, we won't be having any FTA with Ireland.
It will have to be an FTA with the EU and the others will have to agree. Pity you'll have to just tow the line now they have MV. :cool:
1st January 2021. UK on the left, Ireland on the right.

1596973603138.png

The UK has regained its sovereignty - the ROI is now a cash cow for the EU.

And when the EU harmonises tax rates across the EU, the Irish economy will be fornicated - all those Google's, Amazons and Yahoo's looking for countries that can offer a lower corporation tax rate. Which, by an amazing coincidence may well be just over the other side of the Irish sea.

My moneys on Irexit within a generation (if the EU survives the impending implosion of the euro).

Wordsmith

Trashman

War Hero
Such agreement can be modified later by mutual agreement.
Brexit doesn't seem to do mutual anything as a rule.
The UK has regained its sovereignty
We never lost it.
Which, by an amazing coincidence may well be just over the other side of the Irish sea.
And not part of the EU trade bloc. Ireland speaks English and is.
if the EU survives the impending implosion of the euro
How many years have we been hearing this forecast?

lecky

War Hero
One of the most telling surveys from yougov in recent years is this:

What should the EU be? | YouGov

Scrolling down to the section on "who would EU countries be willing to help in a major crisis" and you will be shocked by how the UK stands out. The verticle column shows how we would help everyone (but Japan and Columbia). The horizontal one shows how only Poland, Denmark, Romania, Sweden would help us!
Nobody likes us...we don't care!

What's interesting is half the countries on that list, couldn't help themselves in a major crisis, let alone anyone else.

A thought has just occurred.

Maybe all the French fisherfolk can spend their time returning the inflatables and ribs to French shores?

After all very soon they will have nowt else to do.
Funnily enough, the very same thought occurred to me as I was driving home having dropped Miss T off at the airport!

I dont suppose that it has occurred to the Ffrench to stop them coming into ffrance in the first place?

No?

Thought not.
If they're asking for money to do it, then by default they are not doing it now...

which I think is against some sort of international law.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Brexit doesn't seem to do mutual anything as a rule.

We never lost it.

And not part of the EU trade bloc. Ireland speaks English and is.

How many years have we been hearing this forecast?
I thought it would be interesting to look up the ROI's trading partners. I expected the UK to be top of the list; to my surprise it wasn't.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/irelands-top-import-partners/
  1. United States: US$52.2 billion (30.8% of Ireland’s total exports)
  2. Belgium: $17.6 billion (10.4%)
  3. United Kingdom: $17.5 billion (10.3%)
  4. Germany: $15 billion (8.8%)
  5. Netherlands: $9.8 billion (5.7%)
  6. China: $9.2 billion (5.4%)
  7. Switzerland: $6.2 billion (3.7%)
  8. France: $5.9 billion (3.5%)
  9. Italy: $4.3 billion (2.5%)
  10. Japan: $3.1 billion (1.8%)
  11. Spain: $2.6 billion (1.5%)
  12. Mexico: $1.7 billion (1%)
  13. Canada: $1.7 billion (1%)
  14. Poland: $1.3 billion (0.8%)
  15. Sweden: $1.1 billion (0.7%)
Those countries account for about 90% of the ROI's foreign trade. If you tot up the non EU trade (including the UK next year) 54% of the ROI's trade goes outside of the EU.

If Trump gets re-elected this year, it's a racing certainty, he'll slap more sanctions on the EU - which will foul up access to the ROI's biggest export market.

There are also two ways the EU can throw the ROI under the bus.
  1. When the ROI holds out the begging bowl to the EU to cushion the impact of Brexit/Covid 19, expect the EU to demand that the ROI raises its corporation taxes before they get a handout.
  2. If BoJo puts in place customers arrangements between ROI/NI that the EU doesn't like, expect strict import controls on the 46% of Irish exports going to the EU to prevent cross-border smuggling from NI --> ROI to avoid EU import duties.
Finally, Leo Varadkar did the ROI no favours when he tried to act the Brexit hard man during May's abortive EU negotiations. He's used up a lot of UK sympathy the ROI will desperately need after Brexit.

So, remind me - what are all those benefits of EU membership the ROI gets*?

Wordsmith

* In return for becoming the fifth biggest contribution to the EU's budget and financing umpteen projects in Spain and Italy...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer