Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

EU membership currently gives the U.K. barrier free access to the 26 member states plus 70 other countries

as it stands today the U.K. has deals 50 Countries ready to go on 1 January 2021 (which by the way are on exactly the same Terms as the U.K. currently has, they are roll over deals).
Er no. I’ve told you before, that is not down to the EU.

Those that think that was funny?

status of EU trade agreements with those countries?:

Canada - FTA in force since 21 Sept 2017
Australia - in negotiations since 2018
Brunei - no FTA or negotiations
Chile - FTA in force since 2013, replacement FTA negotiations opened and placed on hold
Japan - FTA in force since 1 Feb 2019
Malaysia - FTA negotiations paused since 2012
Mexico - FTA in force since 2000, replacement FTA awaiting ratification
New Zealand - in negotiations since 2018
Peru - no FTA or negotiations
Singapore - FTA entered into force 21 November 2019
Vietnam - FTA entered into force 1 August 2020

So come December, the U.K. is leaving FTAs with 6 of those 11 countries and negotiations with 2 more

Point of Order:

So no, not that one.

Also, that long and impressive list seems mostly to be "Application Pending", and pending for several years.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
it can

how many FTA’s as of today will the U.K. have in operation on 1 Jan 2021 ?

Distinctly more than Ireland - which can't sign FTA's at all - it's surrendered that privilege of a sovereign nation to the EU.

Which will be the forthcoming difference between the UK and the ROI. As of 1st January 2021 the UK will be able to start signing FTA's. Ireland will be forbidden to negotiate on its own behalf by EU law - only the European commission has the right to negotiate the terms of FTA's.

Still - cheer up. You still have the right to rubber stamp them after they've been negotiated on your behalf.

Just like you got to rubber stamp the EU's budget - after you became the fifth biggest contributor.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Distinctly more than Ireland - which can't sign FTA's at all - it's surrendered that privilege of a sovereign nation to the EU.

Which will be the forthcoming difference between the UK and the ROI. As of 1st January 2021 the UK will be able to start signing FTA's. Ireland will be forbidden to negotiate on its own behalf by EU law - only the European commission has the right to negotiate the terms of FTA's.

Still - cheer up. You still have the right to rubber stamp them after they've been negotiated on your behalf.

Just like you got to rubber stamp the EU's budget - after you became the fifth biggest contributor.

Wordsmith
My bold - which to be fair has been Ireland's position for hundreds of of years! :)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't wait for the epic squealing to start once the new MFF starts in 2021 and the financial reality of the fiscal transfers to the EU starts biting hard....

It will be akin to the remain camp in the UK.

"Look how many more projects the EU is paying for in Ireland".

While completely ignoring the fact that the Irish are paying for the projects with their own money.

Wordsmith ;)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My bold - which to be fair has been Ireland's position for hundreds of of years! :)

I shall be very interested to see if the Irish update their EU page.

Between 1973 and 2015, Ireland received over €74.3 billion from the EU. During the same time, it contributed approximately €32 billion to the EU budget (Department of Finance figures).

That surplus will be wiped out in the next 10 -15 years.

I also liked this:
The Irish language is an official working language in the EU, which helps to protect the country’s native mother tongue for future generations.

And
https://www.mustgo.com/worldlanguag...reann,language speakers worldwide (Ethnologue).
Today, Irish is spoken as a first language by a small minority of the population of Ireland... Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge nah Eireann) is a Celtic language spoken by 138,000 people as a first language.

So basically 138,000 people speaking Erse as a first language is a reason to make it an official EU language. And then you need Erse speakers, who can translate it into the other 30 odd official EU languages.

What a wonderful waste of money...

Wordsmith

Wordsmith
Ireland won’t “be forbidden” ... we (like the U.K.) have been forbidden for a long time.

as I said how many are ready to go? You’ve had 4 years

zero independent ones. The U.K. has photocopied EU ones and did replace all for EU with UK

EU membership currently gives the U.K. barrier free access to the 26 member states plus 70 other countries....

You've never actually done any "business", have you?

To suggest intra-EU trade is "barrier free" displays a level of naivety belonging only to those not engaged in trade.

Looking at that as well. The Finns really loath us.
any ideas why ?. I mean it’s not like we ever invaded them is it.!
If you have a look at that chart, the Finns don't seem too fond of many countries on that list. They dislike more countries than they like. The only countries they do like by a significant margin are Estonia, Denmark and Sweden, the first of whom are ethnically similar to Finns and the latter two being their Nordic neighbours.

According to what I have read in the news, the Finns think they are getting shafted by the EU financially, and so are probably not feeling in too generous a mood to anyone other than those with whom they happen to feel a close kinship, that being the three countries I mentioned above.

The Mediterranean and Balkan countries as a group seem fonder of each other than they are of the rest of the EU. There seem to be groupings of various sizes within the EU, rather than any sort of broad pan-EU togetherness.

If you look at the UK's column, while the UK may be in first place for generosity, the countries that receive the highest UK ratings are Ireland, Canada, Malta, and Cyprus, all of whom are former parts of the British Empire with whom the UK still feels a degree of commonality. Nigeria and India receive lower, but still positive ratings, but that may reflect the looser political ties which have come since independence.

It's worth nothing that despite what has gone between the the UK and Ireland in the past few years, the British are more than twice as willing to help the Irish than the average for the EU countries listed, and significantly more willing than the second place country (Denmark).

Last edited:
Ho Ho Ho

France is demanding about £30m from Britain before it starts dealing properly with migrants crossing the English Channel

1. Don't deal with the migrants - No fishing rights.

2. We will deduct the £30 million from the £1 Billion French fishing fee.

Simple really.

The Mediterranean and Balkan countries as a group seem fonder of each other than they are of the rest of the EU. There seem to be groupings of various sizes within the EU, rather than any sort of broad pan-EU togetherness.
A bit like the voting patterns in the Euro vision song contest then. Not that I have watched it in decades. Last time was when the late Terry Wogan was the commentator and he was the one who pointed it out in that quite Irish piss taking way of his.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Ireland won’t “be forbidden” ... we (like the U.K.) have been forbidden for a long time.

as I said how many are ready to go? You’ve had 4 years

zero independent ones. The U.K. has photocopied EU ones and did replace all for EU with UK.

Varying FTA's are at various stages of negotiation; we won't know the actual stage until early next year, because the UK is legally prevented from signing them until then by the withdrawal agreement we signed by the EU. I suspect a few are also waiting on whatever FTA (if any) we sign with the EU before they are finalised.

The UK represented 15% of the EU's economic strength - we are after all the 5th (or 6th depending on the list) largest economy in the world. Don't you think it tells you something when the second largest economy in the EU decides it's national interests are better served by leaving the EU?

Finally, as you have observed, Ireland is forbidden from doing a lot of things by EU rules. After the 31st December (now less than 5 months away), the UK won't be.

Wordsmith

I'm thinking of referring to the ROI as the EUCOI.

European Union Colony of Ireland...

Wordsmith :twisted:
I think that it is Ireland's lot in life.

Colony of London.
Colony of The Vatican.
Colony of Brussels.

At least when it was a colony of London, Dublin was the second city in the greatest and most benign empire that the world has ever seen.

the UK is legally prevented from signing them until then by the withdrawal agreement we signed by the EU. I suspect a few are also waiting on whatever FTA (if any) we sign with the EU before they are finalised.
incorrect

and all those you have signed are carbon copies of the agreements the EU has

Latest Threads