Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What now for the EU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's me thinking that EU law held supremacy over national law. If the ECB's actions are in accordance with EU law then surely Germany must comply.

It's nice to see German feathers being ruffled from actions taken by an EU institution. Warms the cockles of me heart, so it does.

The constitutional Court has told the European Court of Justice to do one in spades, stating it has misinterpreted the law and acted outside its powers.
https://www.lexology.com/library/de...ay 2020, the,Sector Purchase Programme (PSPP).
On 5 May 2020, the German Federal Constitutional Court issued a judgment in which it declared a European Court of Justice ('ECJ') decision ultra vires in Germany. The ruling focused on the legality of aspects of the European Central Bank's ('ECB') Public Sector Purchase Programme (PSPP). The legality of this programme had previously been referred to the ECJ, wherein it had been determined lawful.

Ultra vires means "acting or done beyond one's legal power or authority".

The EU has responded by saying the German Constitutional Court was acting outside its powers.
The European Commission responded to the German Federal Constitutional Court ruling and stated that “notwithstanding the analysis of the detail of the German constitutional court’s decision today, we reaffirm the primacy of EU law and the fact that the rulings of the European Court of Justice are binding on all national courts.”

If the constitutional court upholds its judgement next month, we're heading for a very entertaining bout of fisticuffs between Germany and the European Commission.

Note that the constitutional court has not directly challenged the ECJ's supremacy - it has said it is in legal error. Which leaves the ECJ on shaky ground because past evidence suggests they bend EU law out of shape every time the European Commission is challenged. And this is going to be fought on points of law.

The German worm has turned.

Wordsmith

Enjoying the show while prepping dinner.

1595780167096.png

My Dutch teacher* insisted that Flemish is Dutch, I forget the actual phrase she used.

*A rather tasty blond with a doctorate in the Dutch language.
Again from my experience, once you get to the south of the Netherlands (Limburg-Brabant) the harsher sounds in Dutch tend to soften, especially the G which sounds like a serious medical throat problem in Holland becomes a soft, almost musical thing in Belgium. Also Flemish has absorbed more French words than Dutch, the easiest example being The Cops = Les Flics = De Flikken.
I have understood & been understood talking my Norn Irish accented Dutch in Antwerp.

The constitutional Court has told the European Court of Justice to do one in spades, stating it has misinterpreted the law and acted outside its powers.
https://www.lexology.com/library/de...ay 2020, the,Sector Purchase Programme (PSPP).

Ultra vires means "acting or done beyond one's legal power or authority".

Quite...

Wait until the latest cunning financial shenanigans hits the court, I believe the treaties explicitly forbid mutualised debt and fiscal transfers between states...

JB

Quite...

Wait until the latest cunning financial shenanigans hits the court, I believe the treaties explicitly forbid mutualised debt and fiscal transfers between states...

I suspect Article 125 will receive an airing...

1. The Union shall not be liable for or assume the commitments of central governments, regional, local or other public authorities, other bodies governed by public law, or public undertakings of any Member State, without prejudice to mutual financial guarantees for the joint execution of a specific project. A Member State shall not be liable for or assume the commitments of central governments, regional, local or other public authorities, other bodies governed by public law, or public undertakings of another Member State, without prejudice to mutual financial guarantees for the joint execution of a specific project.

Going to take some fancy footwork to get around that article...

Wordsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.