Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lets do the easy first.

Ban anything with the CE mark this is built / made in

Vietnam
China
Probably a host of others.

Country of Origin :D :D Cannot even get as close as Continent of Origin :D:D

What we need is a 'Made in Britain' mark for goods and services that are predominately grown or made in Britain. So, for example, lettuce grown in the UK qualifies for the mark; lettuce flow in from abroad does not. A car with 60% of it's components actually made in the UK qualifies; a car with less than 60% does not. A further criteria could be that the company concerned must have its European HQ in the UK and pay the bulk of its tax here.

That way we don't really have to police CE marks or or 'country of origin' we just need to police the 'Made in Britain' mark. If that becomes regarded as utterly reliable, people can come to their own judgements on how reliable other certification systems are.

I'd probably be happy to pay a few quid more for a product if I knew the money was going back into the UK economy and not to some overseas provider of short lived crap. And longer term, the governments tax take would go up - so more money for public services without raising the tax rate.

Wordsmith

What we need is a 'Made in Britain' mark for goods and services that are predominately grown or made in Britain. So, for example, lettuce grown in the UK qualifies for the mark; lettuce flow in from abroad does not. A car with 60% of it's components actually made in the UK qualifies; a car with less than 60% does not. A further criteria could be that the company concerned must have its European HQ in the UK and pay the bulk of its tax here.

That way we don't really have to police CE marks or or 'country of origin' we just need to police the 'Made in Britain' mark. If that becomes regarded as utterly reliable, people can come to their own judgements on how reliable other certification systems are.

I'd probably be happy to pay a few quid more for a product if I knew the money was going back into the UK economy and not to some overseas provider of short lived crap. And longer term, the governments tax take would go up - so more money for public services without raising the tax rate.

Wordsmith

An extension of this?

All companies that apply to use the Made in Britain mark may be asked to submit written evidence that they manufacture their products in Britain. The Made in Britain mark is accredited to businesses that sell goods that have been manufactured or have undergone a final substantial change in Britain before sale

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Britains best farming land grows sugar beet.
Thats insane when you can get cheap cane sugar from abroad

Subsidies and tariffs create an insane situation
which we did using trade as aid along with bananananas and cocoa

wheel

LE
Nope. CoSHH is about use of substances at the point of work.

REACH is about approval of chemicals for production and industrial use.

Certainly feed in to each other, but separate.

Like a driving licence (CoSHH) and type approval for a car (REACH).
Dont forget RoHS Restriction of Hazardous Substances. That and REACH bane of my life.

Last edited:
What we need is a 'Made in Britain' mark for goods and services that are predominately grown or made in Britain. So, for example, lettuce grown in the UK qualifies for the mark; lettuce flow in from abroad does not.

Made in the UK certified

Grown in the UK certified

A further criteria could be that the company concerned must have its European HQ in the UK and pay the bulk of its tax here.

I would go further.

Every company should have a UK HQ, including multi-national conglomerates. Subject to UK rules, rules of employment, tax etc.

For example.

Starbucks ( UK )
Ford ( UK )
Add any name you like ( UK )

I'd probably be happy to pay a few quid more for a product if I knew the money was going back into the UK economy and not to some overseas provider of short lived crap.

I think most people would also be happy to a little extra, in the knowledge that it was genuine UK goods and foods.

Oh Dear

On Friday, Cypriot lawmakers voted against the EU trade deal with Canada in a 37-18 vote, making Cyprus the first EU country to reject an accord that has been provisionally in force since 2017.

It gets even better for the Commission.

But that is now going to be put to the test for the first time, and the key question will be whether Cyprus is only a first mover before the deal also runs into trouble in bigger countries like the Netherlands and Italy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Cyprus will be bullied to change it's mind and vote the correct way. That may not work as well as the EU thinks.
Cyprus will hold out over their sense of right and duty - until they are bunged a good wedge of Euros when they will magically change their point of view!

Well done Cyprus - just about the only way to get money from the EU Commission.

Hold the front page!
Does this mean I'll no longer get squeeky cheese for my BBQ?
No?.....

....OK, carry on.

Piece of piss.

I hope the Border Force have checked their paperwork to prove they have had the right inoculations, before they let them land.

And why are they not wearing masks ? And why are they not maintaining safe spacing ?

Or do these rules not apply to them ?
Or are the Border Force not enForcing the rules ?

So many question ......

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I hope the Border Force have checked their paperwork to prove they have had the right inoculations, before they let them land.

And why are they not wearing masks ? And why are they not maintaining safe spacing ?

Or do these rules not apply to them ?
Or are the Border Force not enForcing the rules ?

So many question ......
The main question - Why are they not being towed back to France?

Hold the front page!
Does this mean I'll no longer get squeeky cheese for my BBQ?
No?.....

....OK, carry on.
We've noticed that local supermarkets are now producing their own, UK made 'Grilling Cheese', which is the same as Haloumi but without some sweaty Cypriot getting involved in the process. We had some at the weekend and they make it round so it fits nicely into a burger.

Wouldn't you require something that melts in a burger, with a sharper flavour?

Halloumi is just going to make it bulky, chewy and bland.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We've noticed that local supermarkets are now producing their own, UK made 'Grilling Cheese', which is the same as Haloumi but without some sweaty Cypriot getting involved in the process. We had some at the weekend and they make it round so it fits nicely into a burger.
How do you know it is not a sweaty Greek-Cypriot making it in some sweatshop in London?

I wonder if the Cypriots make "Cheddar"?
There's a fine cheesemakers in Tain north of Inverness. They make amongst other things a very nice Brie.
I've often been tempted to send some to President Macron to ask his opinion of it!

Latest Threads