What now for the EU ?

humble

Old-Salt
Interesting piece in the current Private Eye that claims the EU has found a way of putting the squeeze on Poland and Hungary by simply delaying authorising the massive recovery packages they were allocated. No reason is given other than it is 'still in discussion'. Anyone care to guess the (unspoken) conditions to be met before any money is handed over?

Indeed, it was the whiff of "adult onset", a failed academic career and a dead-end job in Scotland.

Just dropping by as I often like to see what the obsessives on this thread are up to, but yes,, whereas the true mark of success is getting fired over a text message for being incompetent in job one got through a favour rather than merit, and then running off to Australia with his mail order bride (not too much running with that ankle though), right into the middle of a fire risk zone whilst spending the rest of your dotage asking strangers on the internet how to operate your boat.

You silly silly old fool.

Last edited:
Just dropping by as I often like to see what the obsessives on this thread are up to, but yes,, whereas the true mark of success is getting fired over a text message
Made redundant by phone, as is common in investment banking, particularly when my boss is 14,000 miles away.

...for being incompetent...
Far from it, record profit that year and still paid more in redundancy pay than you'll earn in a lifetime....and yet you didn't hesitate to DM me for career advice, and share your glorious LinkedIn profile.

in job one got through a favour rather than merit...
Curious, I knew nobody at the bank before they poached me from a Dutch bank.....

and then running off to Australia.....
Hardly, I'd already lived and owned property there for 14 years. Moreover, I still own property in the UK and France.

with his mail order bride......
Wrong again, an Australian girl I've been with for 30 years.....

....not too much running with that ankle though....
Ankle is fine, as is my running.....

....right into the middle of a fire risk zone.....
Newsflash! Most of Australia is a high fire risk zone.....

....whilst spending the rest of your dotage asking strangers on the internet how to operate your boat.
I can operate my boat perfectly well. Just back from an overnight fishing trip out to the continental shelf, through 2.5m swell and +20Kn winds.

As ever J, your inaccuracy is matched only by your tendency to bloviate. Here you are, into your 40's, unmarried, childless, in a dead-end and mundane job in Scotland while dreaming of greater things, desperately trying to leverage a PhD from a third rate Welsh university while medicating for various adult-onset mental disorders. It's no wonder you are so manifestly resentful and insecure.

To your mind, you are the subject of envy. Take all the comfort you can from that misconception, for your reality is far, far darker.

Last edited:
Interesting piece in the current Private Eye that claims the EU has found a way of putting the squeeze on Poland and Hungary by simply delaying authorising the massive recovery packages they were allocated. No reason is given other than it is 'still in discussion'. Anyone care to guess the (unspoken) conditions to be met before any money is handed over?
I covered that before, source Euronews. The package depends on Poland Accepting the Rule of Law issue which the Poles argue is the EU shifting the goal posts. They have a point . Of course had the EU put Frontex at the Polish Border in 2008 then of course Brussels would be controlling migration, which we’ve also found out from Greece and Italy (eyes Passim). That means that the EU are saying they want to control the justice system of every country despite saying they don’t want sovereignty. Logical innit?

Just dropping by as I often like to see what the obsessives on this thread are up to, but yes,, whereas the true mark of success is getting fired over a text message for being incompetent in job one got through a favour rather than merit, and then running off to Australia with his mail order bride (not too much running with that ankle though), right into the middle of a fire risk zone whilst spending the rest of your dotage asking strangers on the internet how to operate your boat.

You silly silly old fool.
How's the totting going?
How's your "new" build going? Will you have a stable for the 'oss? Or will you be pushing a handcart?
Failure.

humble

Old-Salt
That means that the EU are saying they want to control the justice system of every country despite saying they don’t want sovereignty.
Depends on how you see the role of a Judge. If you believe you should be allowed pack the courts with yes-men who are specifically tasked not to allow a citizen to challenge any political legislation (by party of a colour you support) then you could see it that way but I am pretty confident you would think it a bad thing if a government enacting policies that you do not agree with behaved the same way. It is not a question of 'controlling' anything rather simply asking a nation to stick to the rule book it was given when they asked to join the club. If Poland has a problem with this they could always forgo the benefits, leave the club, and establish its preferred version of a one-party state. If you are channelling Mel Gibson in a quest 'freedom' then you must also ensure that freedom is granted to everyone and not just you and yours.

Depends on how you see the role of a Judge. If you believe you should be allowed pack the courts with yes-men who are specifically tasked not to allow a citizen to challenge any political legislation (by party of a colour you support) then you could see it that way
Pretty much situation normal, and please say you you don't know that happens here, except in subtler forms and even the EU has been known to have subjective judges, after all Juncker used one to formalise his situation as negotiator for the EU on behalf of the other 27. No complaints about that!. In concept Justice is meant to be blind- except that Justice has nothing to do with Law. The point everyone is missing is that subject to the EU's own rules any interference in internal politics and Law needs to be ratified by those according to their own constitution. Even that was used here, even if Labour invented half of it on the hoof. We did not have a referendum on Maastricht- It could be argued that we were therefore never members officially in the legal sense-according to the EU's own rules.

If you are channelling Mel Gibson in a quest 'freedom' then you must also ensure that freedom is granted to everyone and not just you and yours.
Ha ha, that old tripe. Freedom is illusory in that sense, but since Brussels did not demand the closing of all Parliaments save it's own and did not take on the the full responsibility of central Government, because it couldn't, it follows that MS own Parliaments are FREE to make their own decisions except those they collectively agree to. We may do the same. Do you see the distinction.

The EU/EEC Union was to eradicate internal (France v Germany)strife.
It worked.
Sure. That's why West Germany was created so it could agree with France and we got a Bavarian stylee ( Irony of Ironies) west Germany. Even WSC contradicted himself in Washington- it couldn't possibly have worked.

A survey can be skewed any way one wishes to establish what they want to. It’s not even opinion, it’s not fact either, though it’s trotted out as such. The fact is that despite campaigning to remain the electorate voted to leave. Each person voted to their dictat. Unless all 17.6 million have been surveyed, which would be frankly untenable, the fact remains the electorate voted to leave. That’s it, Basta.
5 times.

Latest Threads