What now for the EU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another point is an EU Army under control of Brussels could be used to threaten or even intervene in an EU State's affairs or even bring them under control, if Brussels thinks they are getting uppity..
If I was a V4 country, I'd be less than happy at the idea of an EU army. An increasingly authoritarian and federalist Brussels to the West, Moscow to the East.

Are you validating the findings that the more education you get the less likely you were to vote for Brexit?
I’m highlighting that those who were most exposed to pro-EU environments were most likely to support remaining.

Similarly, those who lived longest within the EU and had greater life experience were more likely to vote Leave.

Prove me wrong. :p

humble

Old-Salt
Similarly, those who lived longest within the EU and had greater life experience were more likely to vote Leave.

You mean the older you are the more likely you were to vote leave.
Cognitive ability declines with age.
Is it not also a fact that dementia does not take away your right to vote?

The great majority of officers these days have at least one degree.
I used to work for a Lt Cdr (RN) who had a degree in computer science (he was an RN schoolie in an IT post). He was a brilliant guy, really nice, could even tell you how, at the atomic level, data moved around the computer. He was an absolute joy to work with.

However, he didn‘t have a clue how to install Windows or configure an Exchange Server account and relied on me (with my Geology ’A’ level) to actually keep the IT at 15 sites working.

Similarly, my niece is working towards her PHD (in microbiology). Again, absolutely brilliant, but useless at pub quizes.

Education does not automatically mean intelligence outside of their chosen field.

You mean the older you are the more likely you were to vote leave.
Cognitive ability declines with age.
Is it not also a fact that dementia does not take away your right to vote?
Similarly, those with zero life experience and who can’t even boil an egg are allowed to choose who can decide if we start killing foreigners in a country they’ve never heard of.

We can play this game all night :D

anglo

LE
You got the details wrong. The surveys done after the vote (by a staunch Brexit supporter and a Tory paymaster) broke down the voters by a number of categories. It was shown that the more formal education a person had then the less likely they were to vote to leave. Now some might twist that to say the Brexit voters were less intelligent but that is an inference rather than a finding. What is undeniable is the least formally educated were overwhelmingly in the Brexit camp. If anyone disputes this I have a copy of the complete survey so no need for a frantic Google just ask me.
They needed to know the education standard of everybody that voted,and which way everybody voted,
you'll believe any crap
smells of bullshit to me

Last edited:

humble

Old-Salt
Similarly, those with zero life experience and who can’t even boil an egg are allowed to choose who can decide if we start killing foreigners in a country they’ve never heard of.

We can play this game all night
We could but I fear it would not change your unwillingness to accept that educational standard played a huge part in how people voted.

anglo

LE
We could but I fear it would not change your unwillingness to accept that educational standard played a huge part in how people voted.
You can't prove that, unless you can know which way everybody voted,
and nobody knows that, the surveys are no better than guess work

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
What area of policy were you working on and which Commissioner impressed you in their grasp of it and why?
I am a Liberation Route Europe guide and was inviolved in recruiting and training the guide corps. This is a Dutch based, EU funded not for profit organisation that promotes the story of the Second World War and its aftermath to visitors to Europe. It is a network of museums, guides, monuments, interpretation sites and tourist routes from Sicily to the UK and France to Poland. Liberation Route Europe Liberation Route Europe

Two senior European Politicians impressed me.

Martin Schulz, the current patron of the LRE is the ex president of the EU Parliament. He made an empassioned speach defending liberal dmocratic values against populism and linked irrational populism mot the rise of intolerance in the 1920s.

Franz Timmermans is a senior member of the EU Commission. He gave a self deprecating and funny speach as the key note speaker for the LRE conference in 2018. He made the case for Remembrance. 'Europe Remembers 1944-1945' presented in presence of Frans Timmermans - LRE Foundation (Funny bits removed)

I was impressed with the engagement by senior EU politicians in connecting the story of WW2 to the EU and promoting inbound tourism.

The chief guide of Leger travel fund it mind boggling and did not get what LRE were doing. .How can the Germans tell the story fo WW2 - but he had come to sneer.

Yup this is Euro History. The evil propaganda spin of the EU. Except it is simply consistent with modern historic practicd But LRE works. As a tour guide I have gained more business through Liberation Route than any other institution. Canadian and US visitors buy a joined up package.

I have tried to interest our ciurrent government in setting up an organisation to promote Britian as a military history destination. I have even sert up a company to do this. Directory Home
If we have spilt from the EU because we have a different story to tell, why not invest in institutions to sell it. If the EU is selling the story of 1944-1990 , why arn't we selling 1940 I have written to about every politician with an interest in military hisotry, including several members from my own regiment. The only interest I have had was from fellow guide Patrick Mercer.

For all the beery talk on this forum about British History - there is no joined up post BREXIT narrative.

Last edited:

humble

Old-Salt
You can't prove that, unless you can know which way everybody voted,
and nobody knows that, the surveys are no better than guess work
Incorrect. There is a proven method for ascertaining how people voted and you can ask them questions about anything you like. Have a nice day anyway

Last edited:
True but what do you think the overall result would be if the intelligence of 1000 graduates was compared to that of 1000 non graduates.
Humour me and hazard a guess.
It would depend on the form of the tests.

If I was tested on microbiology, my PHD niece would easily win. If it was building a working PC from components, I would win.

There was a discussion recently on ARRSE about IQ tests and how they are unreliable as a test of intelligence as they favour those who are used to IQ tests.

An interesting interpretation of my comments, with no basis in fact. I have already agreed that there is a correlation between length of education and how people voted.

So I’m now wondering about your comprehension skills or your honesty.

An interesting interpretation of my comments, with no basis in fact. I have already agreed that there is a correlation between length of education and how people voted.

So I’m now wondering about your comprehension skills or your honesty.

When a cnut turns up on site, why do you daft cnuts bother to argue with the troll ?

It just encourages the cnut to stick around.......

Put it on ignore you daft cnuts, and hopefully it will f*ck off somewhere else.......

anglo

LE
True but what do you think the overall result would be if the intelligence of 1000 graduates was compared to that of 1000 non graduates.
Humour me and hazard a guess.
There is much confusion in the world about education and intelligence. Education is knowledge acquired in formal learning environments, such as school. Intelligence is that actual ability to learn, to acquire, assimilate, and use new knowledge.

We are taught from the time we first enter school to judge someone's intelligence by their education and their performance in such formal environments, also known as "book smarts". This is taught by words, actions, and attitudes, from both teachers and, later on, other students. This concept that education equals intelligence is pushed on us so hard that few people ever get totally past it, even as they grow older.

You Can Be Highly Intelligent Without Being Highly Educated

Two of the most intelligent people I've ever met did very poorly in school. One graduated, but just barely, and the other never finished high school. When it comes to learning anything that they don't associate with school, they learn fast… much, much faster than normal.

People of well above average intelligence sometimes do poorly in school due to boredom. They sit there in classes designed for the lowest common denominator which don't provide enough stimulation for them, so they become bored and stop paying attention. They are distracted by the smallest things. People of less intelligence, on the other hand may have more of their mind occupied by the class, and thus be less prone to boredom. They are also more likely to be aware that they need to work hard and study in order to do well, where smart people may feel that it's easy and not study even when they DO need it.

You Can Be Highly Educated Without Being Highly Intelligent

On the other hand, I have met people with advanced degrees, including doctorates, who are of no more than average intelligence. This is not a bad thing… they have shown that they are willing to put in the time and effort to master something that does not come easy to them. It does also show, however, that higher education is not proof of higher intelligence.

There are also certainly professions which require extensive training (education), but not extremely high intelligence. Your average family practictioner, for example, can operate just fine without needing to have a genius IQ. He is following established procedures, prescribing standard medications for conditions diagnosed by standardized methods. He needs the education to teach him those standards, but he is not creating the standards, just following them… so having average intelligence is not a big deal at all.

Conclusion

Education is not equal to intelligence, though it is often used as an external measure of it. Certain types of education can give you a pretty good idea that someone is at least of certain minimum intelligence (you can't actually be dumb and have an advanced degree in mathematics), but they don't provide a measure of how far beyond that minimum they are, and a lack of education says absolutely nothing about their intelligence.

And, by the way, neither education nor intelligence prevent you from doing stupid things. As far as I know, nothing in the world stops that.

Source: The Difference Between Intelligence And Education - A Miracle A Day

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I am a Liberation Route Europe guide and was inviolved in recruiting and training the guide corps. This is a Dutch based, EU funded not for profit organisation that promotes the story of the Second World War and its aftermath to visitors to Europe. It is a network of museums, guides, monuments, interpretation sites and tourist routes from Sicily to the UK and France to Poland. Liberation Route Europe Liberation Route Europe

Two senior European Politicians impressed me.

Martin Schulz, the current patron of the LRE is the ex president of the EU Parliament. He made an empassioned speach defending liberal dmocratic values against populism and linked irrational populism mot the rise of intolerance in the 1920s.

Franz Timmermans is a senior member of the EU Commission. He gave a self deprecating and funny speach as the key note speaker for the LRE conference in 2018. He made the case for Remembrance. 'Europe Remembers 1944-1945' presented in presence of Frans Timmermans - LRE Foundation (Funny bits removed)

I was impressed with the engagement by senior EU politicians in connecting the story of WW2 to the EU and promoting inbound tourism.

The chief guide of Leger travel fund it mind boggling and did not get what LRE were doing. .How can the Germans tell the story fo WW2 - but he had come to sneer.

Yup this is Euro History. The evil propaganda spin of the EU. Except it is simply consistent with modern historic practicd But LRE works. As a tour guide I have gained more business through Liberation Route than any other institution. Canadian and US visitors buy a joined up package.

I have tried to interest our ciurrent government in setting up an organisation to promote Britian as a military history destination. I have even sert up a company to do this. Directory Home
If we have spilt from the EU because we have a different story to tell, why not invest in institutions to sell it. If the EU is selling the story of 1944-1990 , why arn't we selling 1940 I have written to about every politician with an interest in military hisotry, including several members from my own regiment. The only interest I have had was from fellow guide Patrick Mercer.

For all the beery talk on this forum about British History - there is no joined up post BREXIT narrative.
So nothing of any significance then.

In terms of something practical like energy policy, how much did you enjoy European-wide dieselisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.