What now for the EU ?

Not quite, the EEC was but there's always been an element of "ever closer union implied". The EEC didn't have one IRC it might have had a corporate flag, I can't remember

Well Enoch Powell did warn us even some of the Irish agree ...
Enoch Powell was right in his dire warnings about EU
snip "Almost 45 years ago, before Britain made its successful application to join what was then called the Common Market, Powell warned Britons they would lose the power to govern themselves. Equally presciently, from the moment a single currency was mooted, he pointed out that countries joining it would be stripped of their economic sovereignty - and, if it were to function properly, would lose the right to have their governments determine the exact nature of their public spending.
Sounds familiar? Maybe Britain and Ireland should have heeded his timely warning"

Which Eisenhower regretted in later years
USA was the world banker post WW2 and wielded great influence due to that.

Typical yank hypocricy, they totally forgot it was an essential lifeline for the UK.
But as soon as the Panama canal was threatened, they went in without a moments notice or by your leave!
The same with the blockade of Cuba, if anything threatens them they never hesitate in acting without ever consulting their supposed allies, even if a global conflict could result which in 1963 it nearly did!!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
In suspect your truth is a biblical matter of faith. My experience of the EU has been positive despite exposure to Nigel Farage and chums. UKIP was a golf club prank that took off. A bit like scientology it gathered believers.

What area of policy were you working on and which Commissioner impressed you with their grasp of it and why?

Last edited:
You missed The Crimean War where the much larger (than the British) French Army did the heavy lifting and their victory at Sebastopol (where the British assault was defeated) saved the day.
Who can forget how both Britain and France were totally humiliated at Suez when The USA told us both to get out of face severe sanctions. We got out tout suite.
Fact : The French have lost every single war they have ever been involved in. Chew on that sucker.
Another thing, does your mother know you're sitting in your bedroom posting bollocks on arrse all day long ?! Further, you are obviously unemployed, does the employment exchange know that your posting bollocks all day on arrse ?

weiter :-
Ohne die Briten wurdest Du jetzt Deutsch sprechen (oder vielleicht doch Russisch), Du arme kleine Blumchen !
Innerhalb von sechs Wochen war Frankreich von uns komplett besiegt. Du kannst ja jetzt die Briten für deine Freiheit Danken ! Du kleine Schwuchtel.

Du Cheese eating surrender monkey !
Auf Wiedersehen !

Which Eisenhower regretted in later years
USA was the world banker post WW2 and wielded great influence due to that.
very informative that, I don’t think I’ve seen that before

Actingunpaid

War Hero
The BBC have finally given up promoting the Evils of Brexit! Well, probably not, but it's finally vanished from their news sub-headings.

despite.png

I accept that what you see in this is all down to interpretation, but could be about to get interesting.

'The $66 billion submarine deal with Australia is lost, but France’s President Emmanuel Macron may have won something far more valuable from President Joe Biden.

'For several years now, Macron has pitched the idea that Europe needs to boost its military spending and capabilities to better defend itself and its interests. U.S. and NATO leaders have largely responded politely but dismissively to a concept they argue could subvert the 71-year old alliance. Europe? Defend itself? Says France? Okay. But did the United States just come around?

'The break came on Wednesday, after a week of Franco-American diplomatic faux pas from both sides over the surprise (to Paris) revelation that Australia would purchase American- and British-made nuclear-powered submarines instead of French diesel boats. Macron recalled his U.S. ambassador over it, and Biden had spent days trying to get his French counterpart to talk about it. When Macron finally picked up the phone, it’s unclear whether he got an apology from Biden. But buried inside the joint U.S.-French readout of their call came news of a major policy concession.

The United States also recognizes the importance of a stronger and more capable European defense, that contributes positively to transatlantic and global security and is complementary to NATO,” says the joint statement.'

humble

Old-Salt
Unbelievers must be shouted down, ostracised, insulted, driven from society, lied about, their intelligence must be questioned............
You got the details wrong. The surveys done after the vote (by a staunch Brexit supporter and a Tory paymaster) broke down the voters by a number of categories. It was shown that the more formal education a person had then the less likely they were to vote to leave. Now some might twist that to say the Brexit voters were less intelligent but that is an inference rather than a finding. What is undeniable is the least formally educated were overwhelmingly in the Brexit camp. If anyone disputes this I have a copy of the complete survey so no need for a frantic Google just ask me.

Last edited:

humble

Old-Salt
Fact : The French have lost every single war they have ever been involved in. Chew on that sucker.
Another thing, does your mother know you're sitting in your bedroom posting bollocks on arrse all day long ?! Further, you are obviously unemployed, does the employment exchange know that your posting bollocks all day on arrse ?
oh you are awful......................but I Iike you.
Kisses and hugs.

X X X X X

The United States also recognizes the importance of a stronger and more capable European defense, that contributes positively to transatlantic and global security and is complementary to NATO,” says the joint statement.'
Yes BUT , it goes to the heart of what Trump was saying that EUrope needed to up it’s commitment to NATO financially.That in turn would increase France’s capability. It does not follow that Trump was advocating transfer of leadership to France in the Pacific. You can read that any number of ways.

humble

Old-Salt
weiter :-
Ohne die Briten wurdest Du jetzt Deutsch sprechen (oder vielleicht doch Russisch), Du arme kleine Blumchen !
Innerhalb von sechs Wochen war Frankreich von uns komplett besiegt. Du kannst ja jetzt die Briten für deine Freiheit Danken ! Du kleine Schwuchtel.
Hey don't blame me because the Soviets gave half your country to The Poles.

You got the details wrong. The surveys done after the vote (by a staunch Brexit supporter and a Tory paymaster) broke down the voters by a number of categories. It was shown that the more formal education a person had then the less likely they were to vote to leave. Now some might twist that to say the Brexit voters were less intelligent but that is an inference rather than a finding. What is undeniable is the least formally educated were overwhelmingly in the Brexit camp. If anyone disputes this I have a copy of the complete survey so no need for a frantic Google just ask me.
I’m glad you didn’t make the rookie mistake of equating education with intelligence. Would you follow an officer into battle just because he has a degree?

As for the possible link between more education and a more pro-EU viewpoint, it is not in any way surprising. As a teenager, my teachers made us sing Ode to Joy, in German, to celebrate our membership of the EEC. So the simple fact that those who were most exposed to pro-EU institutions turned out to be the most pro-EU wasn‘t really a shocker.

A survey can be skewed any way one wishes to establish what they want to. It’s not even opinion, it’s not fact either, though it’s trotted out as such. The fact is that despite campaigning to remain the electorate voted to leave. Each person voted to their dictat. Unless all 17.6 million have been surveyed, which would be frankly untenable, the fact remains the electorate voted to leave. That’s it, Basta.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’m glad you didn’t make the rookie mistake of equating education with intelligence. Would you follow an officer into battle just because he has a degree?

As for the possible link between more education and a more pro-EU viewpoint, it is not in any way surprising. As a teenager, my teachers made us sing Ode to Joy, in German, to celebrate our membership of the EEC. So the simple fact that those who were most exposed to pro-EU institutions turned out to be the most pro-EU wasn‘t really a shocker.

The great majority of officers these days have at least one degree.

humble

Old-Salt
Are you validating the findings that the more education you get the less likely you were to vote for Brexit?

Latest Threads