What now for the EU ?

The 'Brits', at no time in WW2 'stood alone'. It was an Alliance from start to finish.. The UK would never have been able to tackle the German Army if it was 'alone'. I know of no rational person who asserts the contrary. Perhaps you can be the first to explain how it could be done successfully?

Curious as to why you've been dormant for 3 and a half years and now, you spring to life . . .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ah, the heavy-lifting, fantassin old friend, travelling under a new name today? Well that's what the Brits did when they stood alone against Germany, on the convoy routes, in Africa, Italy and then later on Gold, Juno and Sword. Then all the way through France, Belgium and Holland into the middle of Germany.
So the exact opposite of what the French did.
One thing that has always confused me is how France was considered one of the 'Big Four', when Germany incl Berlin was turned into occupied zones. France did little during the war and certainly nowhere near as much as the other three nations. The country surrendered and collaborated. The Resistance was individuals organised, paid and supplied from London (amazing how many there were once the Germans had gone). The French input to defeating the Germans was minimal and if what they did was counted good enough why not Norway, Denmark, Belgium?

There is a lot of purile rubbish written about France on this thread. If the French are so crap how come we pay the French to run so much of our country? Electricity - EDF, Telecomms EE (Ex France telcom), Veolia Waste Management, TRansport, London Soveriegn buses (RATP) We trust French state owned companies better than our own local authorities.
That will be the EE that is owned and run as a subsidiary by BT since 2016.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

humble

Old-Salt
O The French input to defeating the Germans was minimal and if what they did was counted good enough why not Norway, Denmark, Belgium?
Perhaps because we have a thread full of deranged irrational French-haters rather than deranged Norway haters, Denmark haters and Belgium haters there is no need to defend said nations efforts in WW2?

The 'Brits', at no time in WW2 'stood alone'. It was an Alliance from start to finish.. The UK would never have been able to tackle the German Army if it was 'alone'. I know of no rational person who asserts the contrary. Perhaps you can be the first to explain how it could be done successfully?
But of course they stood alone. From the time the crapauds once again surrendered pitifully until the time Hitler was stupid enough to attack the Soviet Union, they stood alone. Better still, beginning in August 1941, it was them who supplied arms, equipment, ammunition, clothing and all the necessities of warfare to the Soviet Union and ultimately kept it in the war.

Perhaps because we have a thread full of deranged irrational French-haters rather than deranged Norway haters, Denmark haters and Belgium haters there is no need to defend said nations efforts in WW2?

Fück off you boring twat, this is a what now thread, it isn't what then one.

Maybe you could start a new one a French rosé tinted look at history thread...

One thing that has always confused me is how France was considered one of the 'Big Four', when Germany incl Berlin was turned into occupied zones. France did little during the war and certainly nowhere near as much as the other three nations. The country surrendered and collaborated. The Resistance was individuals organised, paid and supplied from London (amazing how many there were once the Germans had gone). The French input to defeating the Germans was minimal and if what they did was counted good enough why not Norway, Denmark, Belgium?
As far as I know, de Gaulle, annoying and obnoxious as the next Frenchman, insisted loudly. He concluded an alliance with Stalin on 10 December 1944 and drummed ever louder for the inclusion of "Free France" in the circle of the three victors.
At Yalta, at the insistence of the USA and Churchill, who was probably afraid that the USA would withdraw from Europe as quickly as after the First World War, France was allocated an occupation zone.
"Unfortunately", de Gaulle, who had probably firmly expected an invitation to the conference of the Great three, was not invited to Potsdam and (here I see certain parallels to today) was so pissed off that he did not see himself bound by the decisions there.

That's why he later prevented the Allied Control Council from setting up all-German administrative departments as agreed in Potsdam, thus doing Stalin's business.

Exactly the same "rational" attitude that he displayed when he threw NATO out of France or when his closest confidant Foccard was convicted of spying for the Soviets, and which probably still prevails today.
In 1965, de Gaulle said "I have always carried within me a certain idea of France. For me, France is something very great, very special. France should have its own role in the world. Depending on the situation, of course." and today we are still subject to the same illusion.

The biggest mistake my country, Bismarck and later Kaiser Wilhelm II. ever made was to destroy the traditionally good relations with the British and drive them into the Entente cordiale.

4(T)

LE
But of course they stood alone. From the time the crapauds once again surrendered pitifully until the time Hitler was stupid enough to attack the Soviet Union, they stood alone. Better still, beginning in August 1941, it was them who supplied arms, equipment, ammunition, clothing and all the necessities of warfare to the Soviet Union and ultimately kept it in the war.

Perhaps he/she/it is referring to our ancient alliance with Portugal.....?

The Portuguese did very nobly offer to declare war and come in on our side, but we thanked them and said it'd be better if they kept out of it and stayed neutral this time around. Quite a diplomatic masterstroke, given how vital Lisbon became as a safe stepping-stone to Gib and Africa, and as a playground for spies.

humble

Old-Salt
white flags only work up to a certain point.
I always keep one handy, you never know when you might need it.
Screenshot_k37.jpg

Clunker

Old-Salt
As far as I know, de Gaulle, annoying and obnoxious as the next Frenchman, insisted loudly. He concluded an alliance with Stalin on 10 December 1944 and drummed ever louder for the inclusion of "Free France" in the circle of the three victors.
At Yalta, at the insistence of the USA and Churchill, who was probably afraid that the USA would withdraw from Europe as quickly as after the First World War, France was allocated an occupation zone.
"Unfortunately", de Gaulle, who had probably firmly expected an invitation to the conference of the Great three, was not invited to Potsdam and (here I see certain parallels to today) was so pissed off that he did not see himself bound by the decisions there.

That's why he later prevented the Allied Control Council from setting up all-German administrative departments as agreed in Potsdam, thus doing Stalin's business.

Exactly the same "rational" attitude that he displayed when he threw NATO out of France or when his closest confidant Foccard was convicted of spying for the Soviets, and which probably still prevails today.
In 1965, de Gaulle said "I have always carried within me a certain idea of France. For me, France is something very great, very special. France should have its own role in the world. Depending on the situation, of course." and today we are still subject to the same illusion.

The biggest mistake my country, Bismarck and later Kaiser Wilhelm II. ever made was to destroy the traditionally good relations with the British and drive them into the Entente cordiale.
That would be the croissant then ?