What now for the EU ?

Have you ever been to the ffFrench imperial empire in the South Pacific, because it doesn't sound like it. Get off the plane at Noumea (New Caledonia) and the first three things you see are a gendarme, a Peu-grot patrol car and the fekkin' tricolor. It is hugely expensive with living costs almost at Paris levels.The prime and probably only reason for this situation, oddly in the present circumstances, is to maintain Air ffFrance's rights to international routes to Australasia. At the other end of the scale, fly to Nuku Hiva (Marquesas Islands), one of the most remote airports in the world, and watch a once proud, now sullen Polynesian sloping along the road in his thongs (Fillipe Filopps:rofl:) with a bag full of lamb flaps in one hand and half a dozen baguettes tucked under his other arm. It is a forlorn, miserable and neglected place.

One lucky escapee was the New Hebrides, now Vanuatu, thanks in no small part to the efforts of an old school diplomat, Andrew Stuart, the last British High Commissioner of the joint British/French condominium (known locally as the pandemonium) and a wonderful man who, I strongly suspect, was appointed because he was 6' 7'' tall, towering over his fffFrench opposite number who was the size of Napoleon Sarkosy Macron. Here is a link to his obituary with some interesting background gen and which I hope is not behind the Torygraph's paywall:-

On my last visit there, the High Commission had been closed and European representation was handled by the European Union ffs, with a grotty little office on the harbour front in Port Vila. C'est la vie, I suppose. The Eurocrat running the show addressed me in fffFrench, the ignorant bâtard, so although I am reasonably proficient in that foul language, I spoke nothing but English throughout the meeting. DCI Hunt would have approved even though I didn't punch the fffekker for his insolence.

OZ

The contents of the Telegraph Obituary linky are indeed worth a read … old fashioned British diplomacy exercised with aplomb … and a little skullduggery … showing that Andrew Stewart could successfully execute his duties as a British Diplomat …. I particularly like the part where he removed his glasses so that he could honestly say he had not read the contents of a key document … and he and the Marines got one up on the French ... partly and strangely as a result of one down .

Last edited:
The French don't even do it well.
Having dealt with a number of French helicopter manuals in translation there are a number of expressions that don't make sense. Clearly drawn from a French English glossary of some sort.
I was told you only translate into your own language, the French appear not to hold this as a truth.
They obviously ignore this:

It pioneered the 'one word-one meaning' tech dictionary allowing even those with rudimentary English to follow tech instructions.

Just how much more money can they afford to print?
I think that the same bloke that said yes to Greece joining the euro has just certified another set of accounts as good to go as well............

happyuk

War Hero
Macron gives off the vibes of a man who could snap and turn on his handlers at any f*cking moment.

This video here reinforces that thought in me.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think that the same bloke that said yes to Greece joining the euro has just certified another set of accounts as good to go as well............

It locks them into the project. There’s no escape from the Eurozone.

Your exemplar was the Weimar Republic, but there was an excuse for that

They don't mind, apparently the money supply can be inflated indefinitely. 3.9% inflation in Germany in August 2021, the highest level since 1993.
Yes, the Euro and Greater EUrope are a gift.

Dread

LE
Bulgaria joining the Euro? Muahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha!

They'll have cooked the books even more than the Greeks!

The only reason Bulgaria wants to join the Euro is so that the corrupt politicians (among the most corrupt in the whole of Europe - not just the EU) and their mafia pals can start spending the billions of Euros accumulated by illegal methods in the Eurozone over the last 12-14 years.

I feel sorry for the 'normal' Bulgarians: they'll be utterly fücked by the move, as will the country's economy.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
How do we all thing Britain would have done in 1939, if we had a land border with Germany and the army in the state it was?
Far better than the French did if you scale up the BEF to be the continental force that a land border would demand and then consider that it would be operating from its home base and without the French doctrinal deficiencies or the psychological fallout of the First World War. Further, the Royal Navy would not be so large so a significant additional pool of high quality manpower would become available to the Army.

Germany was also highly vulnerable in the West while it was fighting in Poland, something the French failed to take advantage of.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I feel the West is at a sort of counter-revolution stage. There has been a social revolution going on since the 70s, with a radical left-wing march through the institutions.

This had created a disconnect between the elite and the plebs, and the plebs have woken up.

Brexit was effectively a very typical British revolution. No one got hurt, but everything has changed, and those in charge know their place (for now).

The US, I feel, is having a more painful revolution but, in the end, money talks, and the money is leaving the politically correct states.

As for Europe (well, Western Europe), I have a bad feeling. Their political structures have a built-in conformity and continuity; the need for coalition means things rarely change, no matter how you vote. That means voting for the usual groups will not change anything, leaving violence or extremists as the way to go.

The big problem for continental Europe, which is why I'm mightily relieved that we've left the EU, is that there is no automatic democratic instinct in large parts of it. Further, the doctrinal origins of much of the EU/Commission's constitutional thinking is based on the immediate post-war consensus among the continental elites regarding the general failure of the democratic process and the politicians it produced during the inter-war period. Hence the solution of combining limited representative democracy with an appointed technocratic elite.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
At the risk of being contrarian, this looks like a poor move. Sure enjoy the French discomfiture in the great English tradition. BUT

France has genuine interests in the area, not merely a desire to be seen as Global. New Caledonia is a French Overseas territory whose 250k inhabitants rejected two independence referenda in the last five years. Its a more populated version of the Falklands and its inhabitants are EU Citizens. Pissing off a significant nuclear armed military power with a stake in the region doesn't seem a great way to build an alliance against the Chinese.

Despite BREXIT France is our closest neighbour. The French have been an important ally for the last 120 years, the best armed of the European powers and a partner of choice for joint acitivies outside the NATO Alliance.

Slapping them in the face is fun for the Europhobes who currently run the country, but not in Britian's best interest.

We won't get anything useful out of the French until they've been thoroughly slapped about sufficiently for them to wise up to geo-political reality and stop trying to stick one on us out of petty spite. A sensible relationship probably also requires the departure of Macron with his Napoleon complex and his raft of mummy issues.

We're doing very well despite them (and their bottom-feeding associates in Brussels) and, in a military sense, the baggage they invariably bring to the party makes them high maintenance and of limited utility.

It takes centuries of constant humiliation to knock the edges off and make a worthwhile Frenchman and, as good neighbours, we owe them the chance of being worthwhile.

I think the Aussies took a look at the fFrench sub user manuals.

I have a fFrench heavy truck. It has a user manual. Obviously originally written in fFrench it appears to have had its text stuck into google translate, translated into Swahili, then the Swahili text stuck into google translate a second time and converted from Swahili into Mandarin. Then done a third time and translated into English.

This result is that it makes a Haynes Manual look like the oracle.
Moto Guzzi Manuals are just as bad.

Despite BREXIT France is our closest neighbour. The French have been an important ally for the last 120 years, the best armed of the European powers and a partner of choice for joint acitivies outside the NATO Alliance.

Maybe thats just as well seeing as the froggies stayed on the sidelines of NATO from 1966 to 2009.

Well the Eu is doing well cultivating the friends it needs. Can’t ratify it’s trade deal with China and is now threatening the pending FTA with Oz, whilst criticising Russia for it’s predictable results. At the same time it is now contemplating the economic consequences of the French sub cancellation. The EU has an economy (who knew) :rolleyes:, suddenly the mSs don’t and Brussels is now demanding to be informed. Wanna take a Pooh, don’t forget to let Brussels know. Biden having just opened flights to the US was also being taken to task. Nothing like a bit of Hubris.

Latest Threads