What now for the EU ?

If even half of it comes from the barracks yard without anything breaking down due to a maintenance backlog or lack of spare parts, we can consider ourselves lucky.
I wondered where the Chieftains went.

Annexe the Sudetanland and then foot-down for the Caucasus oilfields - no VAT in this scenario, and she has her EU army.

Panzers, Vorwerts !
she's got a hope. Given the coming German elections possible outcomes, she might be shouting vorwaerts, whilst Germany heads Rueckwaerts durch kein technique. I still want to know how she's going to manage on a reduced budget and marked dislike of the military. Putin must be having a quiet chuckle.

It doesn't really affect the EU but there is already another small insignificant setback for the hard core of the future La Grande Wehrmacht.

Possible cooperation with "Wagner" mercenary force
Germany and France increase pressure on Mali's military junta
Mali apparently wants to enlist the support of a notorious Russian mercenary force to train its army. France and Germany see this as a provocation - and threaten with consequences.

The increased pressure and the consequences probably look like Germany explicitly saying "You, you, you!" and paying a few million more to Mali. Meanwhile, in France, a large order for sewing kits has been placed with the domestic industry, bypassing the EU's procurement rules.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed, however
(a) It was not sold that way
(b) no one had quite worked out how close,
It's all a matter of nuance and it certainly wasn't presented as a greater France.

There is always the point about readign the terms and conditions. While the preamble to the treaty of Rome is not as visible as a claim that Brexit would bring 352m a week for the NHS, it is scarecly small print.

The idea that the British were told it was just a trade agreement is a fake memory planted by Europhobes. I remember the 1970s referendum and the pro europe posters with "Never again" and images of WW2.

RE Greatwer France - not sure what planet that is from.

There is always the point about readign the terms and conditions. While the preamble to the treaty of Rome is not as visible as a claim that Brexit would bring 352m a week for the NHS, it is scarecly small print.

The idea that the British were told it was just a trade agreement is a fake memory planted by Europhobes. I remember the 1970s referendum and the pro europe posters with "Never again" and images of WW2.

Plain as a pikestaff. I’m not saying that ToR wasn’t more explicit but from memory it wasn’t sold like that. The EEC was sold primarily as a customs Union, the difference being that the level of knowledge as to what Parliament were doing was very different to the Brexit debate, interest really got tweaked with Maastricht. To actually connect bus slogans with either is a bit far fetched. But why do you think DeGaulle didn’t want us in?

The idea that the British were told it was just a trade agreement is a fake memory planted by Europhobes.

Memory is a funny thing and sometimes, it is mistaken.

I distinctly remember a disagreement between my Auntie and my grandfather on this. He had said :
" I am not going to vote to be together with them bastards."

He later explained he meant the French and Germans who he loathed equally.

I then remember that over a number of days, my Auntie and Grandmother explained that IT WAS JUST A TRADE AGREEMENT and there was nothing to worry about. He voted to join. I was just too young but I would have voted according to concensus then because I was quite naive until my mid twenties.

It was the over riding reason I voted to leave when we had the chance. To overwrite a historical wrong practiced on us. My Auntie and grandmother were long dead when we had the vote. My mother, who also thought it was a trade agreement still hangs on for a little while by the skin of her teeth. She raised this with me as her reason for voting leave as well.

I'm bloody glad we are out and will take the hits as and when they appear. Part of the hit was a period of about 3 months when my 3 daughters who all voted to stay woulodn't speak to me. They came back after a while as they realised they rely on my memory and family position like we all used to do with my grandad. They have forgotten it now and just get on with their lives.

It was on the news with Gordon Honeycombe. It was presented to us with reasons. Just like how Saddam Hussein was a good bloke during the Iran Iraq war according to the BBC.

Us racist little Englanders remember family conversations too well.

Truxx

LE

Anyone would have thought that the name might have helped in that regard , it being the European Economic Community. Hardly a "fake memory"

Stick to reading words on busses that were never there, let alone visible.

I wouldn’t have bothered, there’s actually nothing controversial. Just boys and big toys and a recognition that it’s ultimately their coffin.
Yes, but that was 2017, a year in which they suspected right-wing terrorist networks in the Bundeswehr and wanted to purge it of suspected heretics, infidels and their devil symbols with fire.

It is always better to carry out a few striking actions than to tackle the real problems, at least that is what Flinten-Uschi's book says.

Yes, but that was 2017, a year in which they suspected right-wing terrorist networks in the Bundeswehr and wanted to purge it of suspected heretics, infidels and their devil symbols with fire.

It is always better to carry out a few striking actions than to tackle the real problems, at least that is what Flinten-Uschi's book says.
I take a slightly different view. Military music is by definition meant to be stirring. The British army still uses quite a bit of Prussian, Scots abounds and we don’t like them from time to time. I really can’t see a deal of difference between the Deutschland lied and Rule Britannia in context. Radetsky is Brilliant and I think that was originally Austrian. Wacht am Rhein, oh du Schoener westerwald merely marching songs and which army hasn’t got songs about girls.

I take a slightly different view. Military music is by definition meant to be stirring. The British army still uses quite a bit of Prussian, Scots abounds and we don’t like them from time to time. I really can’t see a deal of difference between the Deutschland lied and Rule Britannia in context. Radetsky is Brilliant and I think that was originally Austrian. Wacht am Rhein, oh du Schoener westerwald merely marching songs and which army hasn’t got songs about girls.
We also use a lot of John Philip Sousa marches, Yank composer.

Actingunpaid

War Hero

I remember the newspaper headlines were all about the Common Market, nothing about joining a dictatorship.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember the newspaper headlines were all about the Common Market, nothing about joining a dictatorship.
Also, it was not about joining, but staying in!

I'm agree you there.
They stopped distributing the complete Bundeswehr songbook.
Apparently because it contained Nazi songs like Hava Nagila, Die Gedanken sind frei and Greensleeves.

That was pure actionism on the part of Flinten-Uschi, who at the time was extremely thin-skinned because of constantly rising scandal numbers.
In places it almost had something of Stalinist persecution, and she had criminal charges and disciplinary charges brought against a lieutenant colonel from the Centre for Geoinformation, so not a brainless bone-crusher like the rest of us, his offence being to say in front of comrades at a training course that he was tired of 185,000 soldiers being judged across the board "because of two crazy lieutenants". He did not expect any thanks for his service, but did not want to be insulted for it either.
What probably earned him the unbridled wrath of the Defence Mistress was that he satirically said, as witnesses confirmed, the troops must finally open their mouths or coup. Well, that was his career sorted.

We remember that in the Bundeswehr the resistance around Colonel Stauffenberg is held in high esteem and enjoys an almost sacred veneration.

So for me, what von der Leyen did is not understandable or even excusable, I just wanted to put it into context.

Is there any truth in the rumour that the French now want an EU Navy and have a few SSK’s that they can sell to get it started?
Our's are better, we have proper U-Boote not this french neither fish nor fowl SSK crap. So the Kriegsmarine nationale française will only get German U-Boote, not this stuff that goes down in the water and than it goes up that those bloody foreigners try to sell.

Latest Threads