What now for the EU ?

Oops

War Hero
You mean there is not now, in most cases, as they saw sense, eventually.

Let's look a the cucumber

Commission Regulation (EEC) No 1677/88 of 15 June 1988.

Class I cucumbers must "be reasonably well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc: 10 mm per 10 cm of the length of cucumber)". Class II "slightly crooked cucumbers may have a maximum height of the arc of 20 mm per 10 cm of length of the cucumber".

These are allowed to have some blemishes and discolourations. Any cucumber more crooked must be packed separately and must be otherwise cosmetically perfect.

So if a cucumber is crooked and has a blemish on it, it cannot be sold in a shop or market. It is allowed to go for processing, but often the cost of transport to a manufacturer is prohibitive and the produce is simply allowed to rot.

Or how about the carrot.

Commission Regulation (EC) No 730/1999 of 7 April 1999 says they must be "not forked, free from secondary roots".

Or how about a simple apple

Commission Regulation (EC) No 85/2004 of 15 January 2004, any apple under 50mm in diameter or 70g in weight cannot be sold.

IMG-20171115-WA0008.jpg

There are also regs. Regarding Classification ;
Class#1...2 etc.
The lamb and beef carcasses are graded on a 'EUROP' Regulation too....

The Aussies and Yanks laugh at us...
There's no consideration given to eye muscle/flavour etc..

Oh, and in that pile, you might fill a two gallon bucket of inedible carrots...
( One man's meat.........)

If they didn't have throw back, then people would have just over-fished and used the excuse "it was caught by mistake". This woujld happen even if it means a smaller quota was added.

As for wonky veg - there's absolutely no EU rule against wonky veg. You've been had, old boy.
As per. you didn't read my post did you? I didn't say the EU had ruled against wonky veg, I said they had colluded with the big buyers but of course it's all open to interpretation isn't it.

My bold, yep Pillocks of the world unite. Of course the EU should have been policing it but...as per usual didn't... and depended on the low resources of those European countries that were land locked to be scrupulously honest-hush mah mouf. Caught by mistake?? "Hallo- we're getting close to quota- we're jacking it "wouldn't have crossed the mind of the skippers would it? If you reduce the quota you reduce the allocation and thus the sailing times required to catch which is why the boats are not always at sea. There are times when I do wonder if an education is worthwhile.

philc

LE
So want so of the EU big Covid 19 aid package, then follow the EU how the EU wants you to behave, their rule of law, not individual countries, their rules. Those countries with more conservative views will have to bend the knee.

You can certainly buy live carp in Belarusian supermarkets; it is inhumane.
I remember carp as not being one of my favourites- it's got a rather muddy taste being Fresh water, but I do agree that the proximity of water for the fish to remain in does not do them any favours. I seem to remember that My German Granny used to explain that freshwater fish were used to augment fish stocks during the war when they were difficult to come by.

View attachment 494214

There are also regs. Regarding Classification ;
Class#1...2 etc.
The lamb and beef carcasses are graded on a 'EUROP' Regulation too....

The Aussies and Yanks laugh at us...
There's no consideration given to eye muscle/flavour etc..

Oh, and in that pile, you might fill a two gallon bucket of inedible carrots...
( One man's meat.........)
I just did the veggies and fruit search, The ones they scarped the rules for were Apricots, artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, avocadoes, beans, brussels sprouts, cauliflowers, cherries, courgettes, cucumbers, cultivated mushrooms, garlic, hazelnuts in shell, headed cabbage, leeks, melons, onions, peas, plums, ribbed celery, spinach, walnuts in shell, watermelons, witloof chicory

The ones where the rules still apply are Apples, citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, lettuces and endives, peaches and nectarines, pears, strawberries, sweet peppers, table grapes, tomatoes

In 2018 there were 50,000,000 tonnes of perfectly edible food grown in the EU that was simply thrown away because it never matched "the rules". With so much food poverty this could have been sent to other countries instead of getting plowed back into the fields.

In 2018 there were 50,000,000 tonnes of perfectly edible food grown in the EU that was simply thrown away because it never matched "the rules". With so much food poverty this could have been sent to other countries instead of getting plowed back into the fields.
If that is a gen dit - it's verging on criminal.

If that is a gen dit - it's verging on criminal.
Yes it is and all because of stupid rules, the ones the site professor say don't exist. Here are 3 sources

With so much food poverty this could have been sent to other countries instead of getting plowed back into the fields.
Now you're just being silly. We haven't got time to help the third world with things like food. We have more important stuff to do, like be offended by a statue of someone who died 300 years ago.

Having edited a couple of pages myself, I know how thorough they can be when it comes to evaluating evidence.
You've edited stuff?
You, the illiterate, lying, workshy sponger!
That's one of the funniest posts I've seen on ARRSE..

After 'fruitation' we now have 'universality'.

Have you tasked yourself with re-writing the OED?
Well, he does "edit" some learned tomes or other. The slack braned liar.
He's even got a burd who can operate a robotic cleaner. She sounds as bright as him.

A big Tuna can fetch £10,000, but if an English fisherman lands it, it’s confiscated and destroyed.
meanwhile, Spanish trawlers happily fish for the Excellent Tuna off the Cornish coast as they have the quota,

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
So want so of the EU big Covid 19 aid package, then follow the EU how the EU wants you to behave, their rule of law, not individual countries, their rules. Those countries with more conservative views will have to bend the knee.

That's more votes for anti-EU parties in Poland then.

Poland has been sucking heavily at the EU tit for years and has rebuild a lot of its infrastructure at EU expense. If the money dries up, so - over a period of years - will Poland's enthusiasm for the EU.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I just did the veggies and fruit search, The ones they scarped the rules for were Apricots, artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, avocadoes, beans, brussels sprouts, cauliflowers, cherries, courgettes, cucumbers, cultivated mushrooms, garlic, hazelnuts in shell, headed cabbage, leeks, melons, onions, peas, plums, ribbed celery, spinach, walnuts in shell, watermelons, witloof chicory

The ones where the rules still apply are Apples, citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, lettuces and endives, peaches and nectarines, pears, strawberries, sweet peppers, table grapes, tomatoes

More EU protectionism. Some of the EU's highest import tariffs are reserved for food - and to protect the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The CAP results in unnecessarily high food prices in the EU, hitting everyone with a larger bill in order to protect a small segment of EU workers - farmers. Large farms don't really need the subsidies, but there are millions of smallholdings across the EU that are the sole income for the people that work them. And letting them go out of business would cost the parties in power a lot of votes - and possible the general election.

The biggest beneficiary of the CAP is France, which gets 10 billion euros a year out of it. And French governments, of whatever political will block reform of the CAP because it will fornicate the French economy.

Watch UK food prices fall when we're out of the EU and no longer subject to CAP. Although this price reduction will have to be done carefully to protect our smaller farmers.

It's another reason why the EU is desperately trying to get us to follow their rules and regulations - when UK food prices fall, there will be hundreds of millions of housewives across the EU turning their ire onto the CAP and asking why they can't have cheaper food as well.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Somewhat ironic from the chap who is unconcerned about his pension, as he intends to accumulate wealth elsewhere.

Are you so bitter because others got a head start?

How's the house hunting going?
Amusing Blobster and Brotherton Lad seem to be having their own race to the bottom to determine which one has the least credibility on Arrse.

I'd say the race is currently neck and neck...

Wordsmith :)