What now for the EU ?

I missed the following last week . . . which is directly related to the two posts quoted above . . .

Published A WEEK AGO by: Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent, The EXPRESS, on Tuesday 20 July 2021.

Stop funds immediately! Brussels told to cut EU cash being sent to Poland and Hungary.

INTENSE pressure is building on Brussels to withhold EU funds from Poland and Hungary in the row over their alleged breaches of the rule of law.

MEPs are calling for the EU Commission to fund funding to Poland and Hungary (Image: GETTY)

MEPs are leading the campaign calling for the European Commission to block any future EU handouts to Warsaw and Budapest unless they clean up their act. It comes as eurocrats publish their annual report into the state of rule of law across the bloc. Poland and Hungary’s behaviour sparked serious warnings over deteriorating judicial independence and weak battles against top-level corruption.

The two rogue states ( . . . !! ), are still yet to have their plans signed-off in order to access their cut of the EU’s £691billion coronavirus recovery fund.

Ahead of the publication of the report, German MEP Daniel Freund warned taxpayers’ money was being flagrantly abused by Warsaw and Budapest.

The Green MEP, who was a negotiator on the EU’s rule of law mechanism, wants Brussels to finally act by immediately cutting funds.

He told Express.co.uk: “It’s no coincidence that the rule of law issues are greatest in those countries that also receive the most EU funds.

“Corruption with EU funds lies at the heart of the European rule of law crisis. It is right that the EU Commission puts this connection in Poland and Hungary in the foreground of its report.

“European taxpayers’ money is systemically misused to dismantled democracy. This is also where the solution lies. If we want to prevent Hungary and Poland from developing further into autocracies, the EU Commission must immediately stop the disbursement of EU money to Warsaw and Budapest.”

With their plans still yet to be approved, the chapters from the report on Hungary and Poland are particularly sensitive.

The EU’s rule of law mechanism was negotiated as part of the bloc’s coronavirus recovery fund.

It is designed to allow member states and EU officials to intervene if a country is deemed to be abusing the rules sufficiently to impact the bloc’s financial interests.

Both capitals have submitted their proposals and remain in dialogue with Brussels in the hope of securing the support of the Commission.

Warsaw has asked for nearly £21billion, while Hungary has bid for £6billion, of the bloc’s £691billion recovery fund.

Poland has been given an extra month to win approval for its plan, which critics of Warsaw’s nationalist government say should be rejected.

Mr Freund added: “The Rule of Law Report now documents the glaring deficiencies in Poland and Hungary for a second time in 12 months.

“However, no countermeasures have been taken by the EU Commission.

“Commission President Ursula von der Leyen knows very well, however, that this crisis cannot be solved by writing yet another concerned report.

“The Commission must finally act. With the rule of law mechanism, it has a sharp sword with which it can impose sanctions on Warsaw and Budapest. Any further hesitation is fatal. Because the example of Viktor Orban is now setting a precedent throughout Europe."

The report heavily criticises Hungary for failing to address high-level corruption, such as clientelism and favouritism, at the top of government.

And of Poland, the report warns of the risk of “undue influence” on corruption prosecutions.

It also raises concerns over the fact that the minister of justice is also the country’s prosecutor-general.

Austria and Bulgaria are cited as potential corruption worries, while the Czech Republic is said to have issues with high-level conflict of interests.

The report will be unveiled later today by EU commissioners Didier Reynders and Vera Jourova.

[photo: MEPs are calling for the EU Commission to fund funding to Poland and Hungary (Image: GETTY) ].

So my first questions are:
What can we do to support the Poles, and should we?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So we can next week plan to go to the EU and come back without going into quarantine, except for France , so if nothing changes soon it is the ferry from portsmouth to Spain, and a drive down to Portugal , f uck driving down through France , ( Basically , f uck the french , looks like it's coming home to roost all the sh1t they brought about the vaccines, and Brexit, f uck them all)
means we get an extra 7 days in Portugal instead of the 7 days holiday through France on the way home

may even go over to the Fatherland next summer , through Newcastle / Holland , and down into Luxemburg and back through Zeebrugge

Did I mention f uck the French, they don't like us , they don't want us , they obviously don't want my hard earned money f uck them

did I mention I am not a Francophile
Didn't notice.... May be a bit too subtle for most of us. .

So my first questions are:
What can we do to support the Poles, and should we?
Nothing at all. It's their choice to be part of the EU, they knew they could be on a loser from day one, but the they had gotten out of the grasp of the Communist version (Comecon)of it. There is a distinct difference between them and us, we were not asked to be part of the EU, we were dragged into it by default.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
Yes we should the Poles have been quite good to us on the whole, and far better than some of the other European countries
Here's an idea...
Why not offer Poland accesss to the BRITISH trading area to include the whole Commonwealth and then invite Hungry etc as a competition to the EU ...... and watch the sh*& really fly.

oh and lets get Switzerland involved and Canada , Auz etc....

G4Eddie

I wonder if EU belligerence is one of the reasons why the Poles decided to buy Abrams and not top up the order for Leopards?
I think its also a question of who is actually coming to help us when the balloon goes up. At the moment its only the US and Great Britain that are providing significant boots on the ground and military assets in Poland. We might as well buy the same toys that the big boys have brought with them.
Poland knows that no-one else in Europe is coming to help them (we know the Baltics will do their best but will probably have more than enough to deal with themselves:) ) and on a practical level no one else CAN come and help Poland.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wonder if EU belligerence is one of the reasons why the Poles decided to buy Abrams and not top up the order for Leopards?
I was going to say 'I doubt I, it'll be a military / commercial decision based on interoperability with the the Americans and ability to support the contract over the anticipated in service life'.

Thats essentially correct but the latter is partly a matter of trust. No doubt the Poles trust the Americans far more than they trust the EU. No point in putting themselves in a position where their national defence depends on having to buckle under diktats from the EU junta. A junta that has demonstrated itself incapable of behaving honourably or in the interests of the citizens of the EU.

Last edited:
I believe it was down to the fact that the USA not only has its own armour in Poland but was willing to sell new state of the art Abrams (the same updated model which is being issued to the US Army). This will go a long way wrt interoperability between the Polish and US military.

Of course, the USA also can offer a better support and spares option...

Which would you rather have - a brand new Abrams with all the Gucci kit and support or a run down second hand Leopard from the cash strapped Bundeswehr?

I was going to say 'I doubt I, it'll be a military / commercial decision based on interoperability with the the Americans and ability to support the contract over the anticipated in service life'.

Thats essentially correct but the latter is partly a matter of trust. No doubt the Poles trust the Americans a far more than they trust the EU. No point in putting themselves in a position where their national defence depends on having to buckle under diktats from the EU junta. A junta that has demonstrated itself incapable of behaving honourably or in the interests of the citizens of the EU.
Trust is absolutely right.
The EU should not underestimate the optics of how the UK is being treated (a country which is actually committed to defending Poland) - particularly the AZ debacle and threatening to turn the power off for little old Jersey have made many think....Oh Sh1t its the France and Germany show again. The EU now looks like a nasty vengeful union of French and German interests. Historically that has never gone well for Poland in particular and Europe in general.
Polish trust in a benevolent EU is evaporating IMO.

Trust is absolutely right.
The EU should not underestimate the optics of how the UK is being treated (a country which is actually committed to defending Poland) - particularly the AZ debacle and threatening to turn the power off for little old Jersey have made many think....Oh Sh1t its the France and Germany show again. The EU now looks like a nasty vengeful union of French and German interests. Historically that has never gone well for Poland in particular and Europe in general.
Polish trust in a benevolent EU is evaporating IMO.

Arguably, it always was the France and Germany show. A great deal of the poor optics in the run up to the 2016 referendum was a direct result of clumsy strategic manoeuvring by France and Germany to keep an increasingly economically powerful UK off the political top table....

Arguably, it always was the France and Germany show. A great deal of the poor optics in the run up to the 2016 referendum was a direct result of clumsy strategic manoeuvring by France and Germany to keep an increasingly economically powerful UK off the political top table....
Agreed - and without the UK acting as a referee and balancing influence what we see emerging is a European dynamic that has not really progressed since 1815. The same nonsense lurks in the undergrowth of the EU that existed in the Napoleonic and post Napoleonic era.
After the Treaty of Paris Great Britain told Europe effectively to do one and I think I'm right in saying that Great Britain rather prospered for the next hundred years until.......

Last edited:
Here's an idea...
Why not offer Poland accesss to the BRITISH trading area to include the whole Commonwealth and then invite Hungry etc as a competition to the EU ...... and watch the sh*& really fly.

oh and lets get Switzerland involved and Canada , Auz etc....

G4Eddie

On the principle, that the more times I post the following, the better the chance that it might be noticed by those nice people in Whitehall who monitor this thread, it may be appropriate to repeat the contents of an earlier post . . .

It is to be hoped that someone within the (post-)UK BREXIT team, is pencilling-in the idea of a purely economic, simply-for-trade, "Northern Economic Community" (NEC).

The UK has always worked well with the three Scandinavian countries, to which should be included Finland - now that it has found (been allowed to find) its "own voice".

The "Visegrad Four", will be as disillusioned as anyone, finding themselves part of "The EuroSSR". Not quite, what they expected after their escape from their enforced influence of, and domination by, the Soviet’s “SSSR”

Should they wish to, on the grounds of practical, defence viability, the three Baltic States would add/complete, a geographical, coherent, whole, virtually surrounding the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

With the remaining southern states/north Mediterranean countries; and, the three BeNeLux countries; then faced with the only alternative of the Franco-German axis, it would be interesting to speculate to which group they would all gravitate.

We ALL stay within NATO . . . obviously!

Nordic Council - Wikipedia

Baltic Assembly - Wikipedia

Visegrád Group - Wikipedia

Latest Threads