What now for the EU ?

I'd love to know how that's achieved, short of the car being sat in the generator hall of Drax I don't see how you can get electrical power into a battery that fast.

It's not so much about how fast the battery can take charge (that can and will improve) it's how fast it can be pulled from the distribution grid and be ported into the battery.

EU wide there's going to have to be a really major upgrade of the grids and generating capacities to cope with a lot of EV's, not a terribly cheap task...
Even the upgrade of capacity is pointless if the cabling doesn't get upgraded as well. Would be like trying to pour the Thames down a 6 inch drainage pipe. So cue massive requirement for copper ...more environmentally damaging mines anyone

Even the upgrade of capacity is pointless if the cabling doesn't get upgraded as well. Would be like trying to pour the Thames down a 6 inch drainage pipe. So cue massive requirement for copper ...more environmentally damaging mines anyone
Not necessarily - from a technology point of view you can have a local store (battery / super capacitor / something new) that is charged up at a standard rate and then provides the super fast charge. This reduces the peak demand from the grid, and also the requirement for any special wiring before the charge unit.

Of course, the rate that you can then recharge the unit before it can be used again may become an issue.

I'd love to know how that's achieved, short of the car being sat in the generator hall of Drax I don't see how you can get electrical power into a battery that fast.

It's not so much about how fast the battery can take charge (that can and will improve) it's how fast it can be pulled from the distribution grid and be ported into the battery.

EU wide there's going to have to be a really major upgrade of the grids and generating capacities to cope with a lot of EV's, not a terribly cheap task...
iirc one of the car makers got some grief for making claims about their recharging abilities. Their claims were based on using 'super' charging points (350 kW?) ie not those found in normal domestic settings.

Isn't there an entire thread already devoted to electric cars and their issues?

Isn't there an entire thread already devoted to electric cars and their issues?
Yes there is but one quick question before they all depart for it and we can get back to dissing the EU.... where am I going to fit the battery in my latest acquisition?
Screenshot_20200829-090409_Gallery.jpg

Oyibo

LE
They are going to end up down a very deep mine shaft in Africa aren't they?
Not an entirely unlikely scenario. Photo below is a copper cobalt mine I was at earlier this year in DRC (cobalt is used for the batteries in EVs phones etc). Not enormous you may think. But the second photo is zoomed in on the circle in the first:

1626978005444.png

Zoomed in on the Toyota LC behind the truck:

1626978145242.png

That is in a mine run by a 'responsible' western multinational. It does not show the vast numbers of 'artisinal miners' ('creuseurs' in French) who dig in the slag heaps in very dodgy conditions and sell to Chinese buyers locally.

50kgs of low grade ore might get the 'digger' a bowl of rice and beans. The ore is transported from East Africa, via a belt and road port owned by the Chinese, to China. On the terraces there are a known number of bodies of illegal diggers, and also the 'known unknown' number of bodies. It's too dangerous to recover any of them.

So all I can say to the self-righteous fvcks talking about how great electric cars are is "you are either ignorant, or incredibly selfish." The two are not mutually exclusive.

And yes, I have also worked in the oil industry.

Oyibo

LE
Invasion of a different mine in DRC for all you socially correct electricity evangelisers:

1626980636085.png

And some of the better quality artisanal mines that provide batteries for your iPhones:

1626980807244.png

Shove your ethically correct shite up yer hoops unless you've seen how the raw materials for your gadgets are obtained.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Truxx

LE
There aren't any to be realistic. Even your flagship of Norway has 90 electric cars per 1,000 people. That's out of 522 cars per 1,000 people in total, so 17% of cars are electric. I suspect the situation is much like over here, where people who can afford one also have another conventional vehicle (usually diesel in the UK) for longer journeys when necessary.
Also any hybrid counted in the numbers, is not an EV. It is an ICE vehicle with its efficient mechanical drive system replaced by a less efficient electrical one. Plus it has to lug the weight of its batteries all the time.

Is it safe to say that the gullible are swallowing all the eco boll0cks and jumping on the green bandwagon?

Someone I know has a cockstand for anyone who jumps on bandwagons.

Never fcuking stops going on about bandwagons...

I doubt many people will care that much about the environment, other than perhaps not liking breathing in fumes.

Its not a bandwagon, its progress, like the internet, Ipads, smart phones etc, although Im sure some on here were perfectly happy with the services of the telegram.

Invasion of a different mine in DRC for all you socially correct electricity evangelisers:

View attachment 590873

And some of the better quality artisanal mines that provide batteries for your iPhones:

View attachment 590876

Shove your ethically correct shite up yer hoops unless you've seen how the raw materials for your gadgets are obtained.

I have seen, I dont give a **** about those people.

Latest Threads