What now for the EU ?

Truxx

LE
Tell me about it, my daughter was looking to buy a couple of hurdles of twigs so she had her own hovel to die slowly in of starvation due to no food post Brexit but the bloody price due to all these foreigners buying up all the twigs!!
A like for the use of the word "hurdles"

Is that a euro hurdle or the good old imperial hurdle?

Looks around to ensure no one can hear and report a hate crime to the Police, imperial said in a stage whisper.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

That depends on whether they are six foot hurdles, two metres wide or not.

Bless their little cotton socks

Which begs the question - Why did over 5 million of you seek settled status in the UK ?

Another indicator that the UK's population figures are a load of bollox.

That’s alright. We don’t trust the government either.

At least he swerved the use of the word 'faggot'.
1620980570765.png

HCL

LE
Bless their little cotton socks

Which begs the question - Why did over 5 million of you seek settled status in the UK ?

Another indicator that the UK's population figures are a load of bollox.

It's more like 10m if you count the kids. Not that the DWP or the Home Office are keeping those kind of stats. God forbid if anyone asked for them.....

The French and most likely the EU must be getting very worried.

This old chestnut is getting rolled out again - In the run up to an election ( Sound familiar ? )

Previously rolled out prior to the 2017 Presidential election.

Ad_Astra

Clanker
I found an interesting article on gript.ie It’s a bit long but mighty be worth a look.

The Deadwood Oligarchy​

Posted by Domhnall Ó Dubhda | May 22, 2021 | Comment World
The Deadwood Oligarchy

The rule of thumb in politics in the European continent is that domestic failure politically bodes well for promotion to the upper echelons of power in Brussels. After the last election for example, the government very seriously considered spiriting (since left) Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy to Europe to remove him as a political liability at home. The deadwood of European politics is shifted to Brussels and it shows. An oligarchy of failed politicians and budding bureaucrats has formed which is hostile to the very democracies that spurned them, and has grown used to the level of unchecked power they enjoy – with negligible scrutiny. Europe is the Holy Land for busted domestic politicians. What’s not to love? Prestigious titles, no accountability, minimal scrutiny, access to the halls of power, whilst the vast majority of people have never heard of you despite the fact they have more effect on their everyday lives than their local TD or Councillor.
Who sits atop the oligarchy? Ursula Von Der Leyen. A failed German Defence Minister nominated to be European Commissioner and be the ‘woman to lead the continent’ as it were. Her nomination was not based on merit. I am not saying for a moment it was because she was a woman. Rather, I contend she perfectly fitted the profile of a candidate for European power; in other words, she was a domestic failure worthy of elevation to Brussels. As was reported at the time by the Guardian, she was such a divisive figure at home that ‘Germany abstained from the vote to nominate her.’ Nigh on every German political party – including the original choice for the Commission Manfred Weber of the Christian Democratic Union – cried out at her nomination. The leading German newspaper, Süddeutsche Zeitung, queried how Von Der Leyen who had so disastrously bungled her management of the German Army, was suddenly going to be able to preside over the entirety of Europe?
Her tenure as Defence Minister is perhaps best put by Kevin Myers:
“Her political career rapidly took off and she was soon appointed as the German Minister for Defence, in which role she turned the Bundeswehr into an exquisite embodiment of political correctness. That it was quite unable to defend Germany is of course irrelevant.”
[…]
“But never fear! In other areas, the Wunderbear’s Bundeswehr has been a stunning success. The driver-seats in the few German army tanks that actually work have been redesigned to accommodate pregnant she-soldiers, who clearly make fearless warriors with babies in their womb.”

philc

LE
I guess this is just a matter of time, the whole of the EU sulked when Yorkshire got more medals than them.

This one fits better.....

I found an interesting article on gript.ie It’s a bit long but mighty be worth a look.

Mediocrity at its best, and not just at the higher levels either.
Why be an EO/acting HEO in central London party of the CS earning £24,000 a year gross when the same grade in Brussels attracts a six figure salary with allowances too?

Oh, you can't any more, quelle dommage.:(

This one fits better.....

Mediocrity at its best, and not just at the higher levels either.
Why be an EO/acting HEO in central London party of the CS earning £24,000 a year gross when the same grade in Brussels attracts a six figure salary with allowances too?

Oh, you can't any more, quelle dommage.:(

All the AOs (E1s in MoD parlance) that I manage earn comfortably more than that, and that is on the Outer London payscale too...

All the AOs (E1s in MoD parlance) that I manage earn comfortably more than that, and that is on the Outer London payscale too...

That may indeed be so but not in 2011 in my little part of very central London in my department.
After a few years of alleged austerity too.
Just looked it up and if I had stayed on (my arrse would I) it would now be just over £25,500 p.a.
No austerity in Brussels though, and from not too long ago.....

That may indeed be so but not in 2011 in my little part of very central London in my department.
After a few years of alleged austerity too.
Just looked it up and if I had stayed on (my arrse would I) it would now be just over £25,500 p.a.
No austerity in Brussels though, and from not too long ago.....

If they went on strike would anyone notice?

Latest Threads