Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Well, as fascinating as all this my gun is better than yours chatter is, perhaps it could wait till WWIII breaks out, another Remain claim that seems to have failed to materialise.
Wait for WWIII to breakout? I’m still waiting for my house to fill up with twigs and leaves, never mind WWIII.

Wait for WWIII to breakout? I’m still waiting for my house to fill up with twigs and leaves, never mind WWIII.
TaDa!

top.JPG

Oops

War Hero
Oh and before I forget. there is provision for rebated fuel ( red Diesel) for fisheries which means that fuel cost issues are not massive in the overall catch, what is - is maximising the profits of the catch. Fish prices in a sustainable fishing concept will rise as a result but not because of fuel of running costs alone. In terms of the machine bought for 300k E from Poland that will pay for itself in a matter of a year or so with reduced manpower requirements- a point that was made much earlier on in the debate. The machinery exists and has done for donkeys to reduce manpower requirements.
Whilst totally agreeing with your points, watching the many documentaries on the trawler lads, they all mention the success or otherwise of covering their fuel costs as a result of their trips...
It must play a significant role, even at 40p/lt.

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Nope, absolutely not - indeed the political controversy about 5.56mm in the 1970s (when the decision was being made) was that it was too lethal.

Pause and think about your standard platoon attack (or defence) by 1980s drills. When do casualties get attended to? Reorganisation phase, when you're securing the position, checking casualties, and redistributing ammunition. Until then, you leave them where they are.

If you've successfully attacked, you now own any enemy casualties, and if you "wounded them rather than killed them" it's now your G4 Med chain being burdened by having to care for them. If you've successfully defended, then, likewise, the enemy casualties in front of your position are your problem. The only way "wounded rather than dead" inconveniences the enemy is if they, rather than you, ended up winning the battle and holding the ground.

This is one of those myths (like how in 1982 HMS Sheffield's aluminium superstructure caught fire, or the Guardroom gangbang where it turned out the teenage prostitute was the RSM's daughter) oft told despite being bollocks.

The shift to 5.56mm was pushed by the rediscovery of how fast real-life combat consumed ammunition: the "four 20-round magazines and fifty rounds of link for the GPMG" that was plenty for a platoon attack on STANTA turned out to run out in the middle of a battalion attack (luckily at Goose Green the enemy considerately used the same calibre of ammunition and had stockpiles to overrun). Worse, the surprising difference between "eighty rounds of 7.62mm blank" and the same number of ball rounds, when it's loaded into your '58 pattern webbing...

We needed more rounds, we needed more hits at longer range (which L85/L86 delivered) and we needed less weight.
Does this mean the RSM's daughter at 3 Training Regt Cove didn't exist.Who was my mate from St Omer shagging outside the Alex then?

Nope, absolutely not - indeed the political controversy about 5.56mm in the 1970s (when the decision was being made) was that it was too lethal.

Pause and think about your standard platoon attack (or defence) by 1980s drills. When do casualties get attended to? Reorganisation phase, when you're securing the position, checking casualties, and redistributing ammunition. Until then, you leave them where they are.

If you've successfully attacked, you now own any enemy casualties, and if you "wounded them rather than killed them" it's now your G4 Med chain being burdened by having to care for them. If you've successfully defended, then, likewise, the enemy casualties in front of your position are your problem. The only way "wounded rather than dead" inconveniences the enemy is if they, rather than you, ended up winning the battle and holding the ground.

This is one of those myths (like how in 1982 HMS Sheffield's aluminium superstructure caught fire, or the Guardroom gangbang where it turned out the teenage prostitute was the RSM's daughter) oft told despite being bollocks.

The shift to 5.56mm was pushed by the rediscovery of how fast real-life combat consumed ammunition: the "four 20-round magazines and fifty rounds of link for the GPMG" that was plenty for a platoon attack on STANTA turned out to run out in the middle of a battalion attack (luckily at Goose Green the enemy considerately used the same calibre of ammunition and had stockpiles to overrun). Worse, the surprising difference between "eighty rounds of 7.62mm blank" and the same number of ball rounds, when it's loaded into your '58 pattern webbing...

We needed more rounds, we needed more hits at longer range (which L85/L86 delivered) and we needed less weight.

4 mags of 20, and 50 of link ?!

More like 8 mags of 20, 200 link for the gpmg, sometimes a bandolier of however many that was, ( remember being handed one for the first time - not actually knowing what it was ..... except it was more weight ) , smoke, trip flare, spare battery for the section radio....

Whilst totally agreeing with your points, watching the many documentaries on the trawler lads, they all mention the success or otherwise of covering their fuel costs as a result of their trips...
It must play a significant role, even at 40p/lt.
Oh absolutely, but it must be remembered it's about maximising what you've got, there are no fuel stations in the North sea, NO catch massive red hole in ship Mortgage. Bearing in mind that there are limitations as to when you can fish each trip HAS to count

Just as an side from the Weight Ammo discussion I thought that was the reason the British Army retained the one shot concept-to make it pay. Not just keeping heads down. Ammo wastage from the last lot was considerable and it all had to be transported.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Remain are such underachievers. They litterally predeicted a new Pandemic if we left the EU. Not one of the buggers has stood up to claim their reward.

As Dominic Frisby put it,

If you vote to leave, you'll lose your job
Vote to leave, you'll lose your home.
The ensuing recession will last for years
Said David Cameron. Theresa May. George Osborne.
And the Treasury. Tony Blair. John Major. The BBC.
The Bank of England. Mark Carney. The EU. The IMF. The US president. Saint Obama. Back of the cue. Loads of celebrities. Gary Lineker. JK Rowling. Benedict Cumbertwat. Lord Adonis. Who the fµck's he anyway?
The British told them to fµck off.
Seventeen million fµck offs.
They wheeled in the experts to tell us what's right
They gave us the benefit of their foresight
To leave is calamitous, that's definite.
Food shortages. No medicine. Planes grounded. House price crash. ½ a million jobs lost. Cost of £4, 300 to every home. Stock market collapse. Riots. No sandwiches.There'd be an outbreak of super gonorrhea. They seriously said that. Donald Tusk at the EU said it would be the end of Western civilization as we know it. I'm not joking. And one more thing. If you vote to leave, that makes you racist.
The British told them to fµck off.
Seventeen million fµck offs.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I do tend to think before I post.Something we obviously lack in common.I thought the goldfish soup might remind you of the EU rag you so miss.:)

I've stocked up on goldfish food. How much would you like?

Latest Threads