Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Charles1948

On ROPS
On ROPs
I never ran into my Mam and offered the excuse that my teeth had been knocked out in a fight.

Clearly you were destined for a soldierly career. Not so?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard tales of people shooting Taliban with the 5.56 rounds and they didn't stop them unless you shot them 3-4 times. Maybe the Army was trying to save money on ammo or something as 7.62 rounds probably cost more, hence changing to the crappy 5.56 rounds.

Of course, because nobody's going to notice that we've spent twenty years on ops firing bullets that only make the enemy say "stop that, it tickles".

Funnily enough, when a bit of work was done to chase down all these tales, they all seem to be someone saying "I shot him five times at close range and he didn't even fall down" (from Mark Bowden's "Black Hawk Down", page 303 or so of the paperback edition, where a Delta soldier was using early M855 ball in a 10" or 12.5" carbine and wondering why bullets designed for a 20" barrel don't work well in something half that size).

Not one single story traced back to a real-world case of "I shot him and he laughed and ignored it or similar". (A few did go from "I hit him several times at 200 metres range and he ran away" to "I fired half-a-dozen snap shots at what turned out to be 400m range and he didn't stop running" (meaning, sorry, you missed) They may exist but when people were actively searching for them, nobody wanted to tell them.

Despite the best efforts of the team (one of whom was a RMR NCO with a PhD in terminal ballistics) who were quite interested in finding evidence that "5.56mm out of L85 isn't very effective" since they had their own thoughts on what "next calibre and rifle" should be, a real, evidenced incident was not to be found - though plenty of "targets will fall, scream and bleed when hit" were.

But how times change... back in the early 1970s there were efforts to prosecute the US for using the M16 and its 5.56mm ammunition, since it apparently caused such lethal, vicious, wounds that it violated the Hague Conventions and using it in combat was a war crime. Apparently it was "massively destructive", with "devastating wounding power" and "tremendous wounding and killing power" (Rich NM, Johnson EV, Dimond, FC Jr., "Wounding power of missiles used in the Republic of Vietnam", Journal of the American Medical Association 1967;199; Dimond FC Jr, Rich NM "M-16 rifle wounds in Vietnam". Journal of Trauma 1967;7)

It's almost as if people believe whatever they want to believe, evidence be damned...

fcuk off he started it I was responding in an educated way.

the euro has to devalue so 60p a euro is a decent rate for them.

when we undecimalise the pound to wind everyone up we will go back to 2 dollars to the pound or 4 euros.

everyone will be happier with a 240d to the £ something exiting.

we had more wage strikes after we decimalised.

I don't know if you are a wind up merchant or just a dickwad.
Your comprehension is a bit suspect to say the least. If it were 4 euro to the pound, as you stupidly said, the euro would be 25p, not 60p you idiot.
Then , just yesterday, you were saying UK could devalue the pound (which it doesn't need to as the pound is devaluing it all by itself). but now you want to revalue it? Make your bloody mind up.

I've come to the conclusion you're a dickwad.,
Of course, if the euro went back to 60p then that would be about what it started at 20 years ago (ish).
Next year when the pound is worth 60 cents it will be a complete reversal.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't know if you are a wind up merchant or just a dickwad.
Your comprehension is a bit suspect to say the least. If it were 4 euro to the pound, as you stupidly said, the euro would be 25p, not 60p you idiot.
Then , just yesterday, you were saying UK could devalue the pound (which it doesn't need to as the pound is devaluing it all by itself). but now you want to revalue it? Make your bloody mind up.

I've come to the conclusion you're a dickwad.,
Of course, if the euro went back to 60p then that would be about what it started at 20 years ago (ish).
Next year when the pound is worth 60 cents it will be a complete reversal.

60d is 25p.

I suppose if you'd bother to look it up instead of just guessing, you'd have found the EU Moroccan preferential export deal on tomatoes which means, no, there are no tariffs on a very large quota which they don't meet.
Bit like @PhotEx and his claims that lamb in UK is expensive because of the tariffs on New Zealand lamb when there isn't actually any as New Zealand has never met its tariff free quota.

Sorry, but those Moroccan tomatoes will still cost the same when UK leaves. Unless, of course, it goes to WTO tariffs in which case they will cost more.
Fair enough. It just seemed to me that there must be some other reason why none of the good stuff seemed to get to the UK. Your reply and the reply of others explaining the technical problems of transportation and distribution seem to have answered that.

Latest Threads