What now for the EU ?

No, we already import lots of fruit and veg from North Africa

If this ferry link can be done cost effectively (not forgetting now we are out of the EU there is or doesn't have to be tariffs on imports from Africa) then we get a better product and we get it cheaper.
Not sure what the tariffs on African produce were before Brexit tbh
According to the Express article a trade deal with Morocco was signed in 2019.

No, we already import lots of fruit and veg from North Africa

If this ferry link can be done cost effectively (not forgetting now we are out of the EU there is or doesn't have to be tariffs on imports from Africa) then we get a better product and we get it cheaper.
Not sure what the tariffs on African produce were before Brexit tbh
I assumed previously, it all had to come via Rotterdam/Amsterdam so the EU Mafia MafEU got their cut.

Last edited:
I assumed previously, it all had to come via Rotterdam/Amsterdam so the EU Mafia got their cut.

As far as I know it was all road haulage via Spain
Current journey time 6 days, they are claiming 3 days for direct ferry.

In the road haulage game time is money. This is the polar opposite of the Irish landbridge problem where the direct ferry routes from Ireland to europe are longer.

Will all depend on numbers (it always does) but on face value you are accessing a cheaper, higher quality product in half the time it currently takes.
Would need to know the ferry costs to give you a better idea on the financial benefits to it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Have we been prevented from doing that whilst EU members?
Like all things commercial it is not do much can we do, but will we make money doing it.

With the EU determined to mess the UK around in any way they can, then any way around them can only be good for us.

Just more realisation for EU MS that messing with the UK does not mean we will just buckle under and that there will be a cost.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

In the road haulage game time is money. This is the polar opposite of the Irish landbridge problem where the direct ferry routes from Ireland to europe are longer.

Will all depend on numbers (it always does) but on face value you are accessing a cheaper, higher quality product in half the time it currently takes.
Would need to know the ferry costs to give you a better idea on the financial benefits to it.
And look on the bright side - we could use the UK-Morocco trip to return some unwelcome dusky guests. :)

The EU pretends to be intent on catching criminals, whilst ensuring they get away with it.
Particularly when it comes to bribery and corruption, not forgetting massive tax avoidance by large multi-national companies.

That's good news for the remainers and their demands for Avocado in our post Brexit Wastelands.

HCL

LE
Unpossible the grate branes told us we were at the back of the queue and everything!

The usual crew have been missing of late. The Twatterer posted last night when I called him though. Can't say I really miss his input, only him dangling off the hook every time. Though there is a newbie throwing his crown/coat of arms around in another forum that I have low hopes for, don't want to jinx him yet as it's a long road to the next SPOTY. As our resident hero would say: time will tell.

Meanwhile, someone’s been thinking. What do our regular road transport and logistics members think?

Take that, Brussels! UK to launch ferry trade route around Europe to bypass hated EU rules

ETA: There will obviously have to be greater security to prevent stowaways. This would make an ideal direct route into the UK from Africa.
I would hope the former Booty advising the Home Office is drawing up plans.
Bit of a "mash-up" in that article . . . including non-Morocco ferry bits . . . relating to the NI/EU border dispute, which concludes . . .

. . . . On Wednesday Britain announced it is unilaterally extending the grace period for some checks on trade with Northern Ireland.

In response, referencing the UK, Ireland’s foreign minister Simon Coveney said the EU is “negotiating with a partner it simply can’t trust”.

I think any trust went out the window just before last Christmas, yet another great tactical decision that has shown that trust and good faith has to be shown only by the UK.
They really aren't intent on making many friends in the world are they?

Meanwhile, someone’s been thinking. What do our regular road transport and logistics members think?
Take that, Brussels! UK to launch ferry trade route around Europe to bypass hated EU rules

ETA: There will obviously have to be greater security to prevent stowaways. This would make an ideal direct route into the UK from Africa.
I would hope the former Booty advising the Home Office is drawing up plans.

I know Dan O'Mahoney and I would not describe detailed planning as his strongest point.

Interesting notion.

The UK gets a surprising amount of fresh produce from North Africa including things like tomatoes and citrus fruits amongst others.
Potentially damaging for Spanish exports in particular, they are qouting a three day passage time which is half the current transit time.
North Africa produce is cheaper and often better quality than european. If it can be delivered faster (therefor with longer shelf life) and cost effectively then its a winner for the Africans and its a winner for the UK.

Not so good for southern european producers who export to the UK though
Moroccan Black
@Ciggie

Interesting notion.

The UK gets a surprising amount of fresh produce from North Africa including things like tomatoes and citrus fruits amongst others.
Potentially damaging for Spanish exports in particular, they are qouting a three day passage time which is half the current transit time.
North Africa produce is cheaper and often better quality than european. If it can be delivered faster (therefor with longer shelf life) and cost effectively then its a winner for the Africans and its a winner for the UK.

Not so good for southern european producers who export to the UK though

... and the next stage will be to develop the markets in that area to ensure vessels returning are full of UK export items ... unless that is already part of the plan ... to the entrepreneur as one door closes another one opens .

Latest Threads