What now for the EU ?

If the Guardian is against it then I am all for them, they must be good for the UK therefore.
At what time does La Toynbee start shrieking on it all then?
A level playing field indeed, the UK will soon be able to be level with Luxembourg and Eire and their harmonised tax regimes without any favouritism being shown at all pre Brexit........................
The UK economy will be the first to emerge standing up after all this, and in other news, people in the Fatherland are nicht glücklich either.

Oh dear.

This pretty much mirrored my own feelings when I read it.

I hope for my kids future, the EU suddenly realise they had a big part to play in all this and genuinely work to somehow remove the NI protocol.

But I doubt it.
Indeed. The decision is seen as a hostile act by the EU. Well having been screwed by the Vaccine issue, it seems they actually want to control food issues. However the shortages of relevant inspectors for phyto and meat examination is finally being revealed by the removal of NI from the EU “controls”
I wonder how much the plethora of fake docs made the paramilitaries of both sides?

Isn’t a Freeport essentially a grown-up bonded warehouse?

In effect yes, but with much broader effect.
I think the Freeport can encompass an entire city rather than a single secure site. I think I read yesterday that a Freeport can but upto 27 miles across and allows entire cities to be operated as such, for example I think the Liverpool one encompasses the entire Mersey including Birkenhead and at least some of the Manchester Ship Canal

And yet they ignore Cyprus, where more ill-gotten Russian billions are stashed than anywhere.
We obviously need to persuade them to invest the money in Britain, that would make the EU happy.

I think the Freeport can encompass an entire city rather than a single secure site. I think I read yesterday that a Freeport can but upto 27 miles across and allows entire cities to be operated as such, for example I think the Liverpool one encompasses the entire Mersey including Birkenhead and at least some of the Manchester Ship Canal
The Solent one will cover Southampton, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

Well yes, but you have to be careful here. The Hansa were normally Freie Staedte, more accurately Free states, where the revenue generated did not go to the crown. The Dukes were given a free hand to raise revenue to ease the burden on their nominal treasuries. Cinque Ports was a derivation. It could be used here as in Holland where I believe the revenues are kept away from the centre, but that could mean a reduction in central grant for each council and it’s not recession proof.
The reason I say that, is because I do not see the concept of devolution changing anytime soon and it appears that one of the outcomes could be the dismantling of England as it's own state as a means of controlling the English [income]

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
the French Army - defeated by everyone, including a bunch of women
Predictable,,,

1614846954758.png

People may have noticed a lot of froth from various EU spokesman regarding the UK extending the grace period for the implementation of the agreement as regards NI.

I just love watching the irony of the EU whinging over this move after they threw Eire under the bus without a qualm during their pathetic temper tantrum.

Ad_Astra

Clanker
People may have noticed a lot of froth from various EU spokesman regarding the UK extending the grace period for the implementation of the agreement as regards NI.

I just love watching the irony of the EU whinging over this move after they threw Eire under the bus without a qualm during their pathetic temper tantrum.
Do as I say, not do as I do??

And yet they ignore Cyprus, where more ill-gotten Russian billions are stashed than anywhere.
I am sure I read somewhere .... it may have been on this Forum that it can prove a problem to now sell property on Cyprus ... a " preferred " buyer will turn up and offer a price much below what is being asked for and the seller is " encouraged " to take the offer .... doubtless election of members Local and then National Government will become a target ... in the long term Cyprus and the EU may regret what has been allowed to develop ... then it may be too late .

So . . . It doesn't need to have a physical secure fence all the way around it ?!

It sounds like it is managed by "self-regulating" accounting/tax-declaration practices ?!

If - for example - the caravan manufacturing industry around Hull, imports glass units, sky-lights, other fittings, from Italy(?), and then exports the complete/finished caravans . . . the whole process/procedure, would be "off-the-books", and of no interest to the UK Government/Chancellor ?!

So . . . It doesn't need to have a physical secure fence all the way around it ?!

It sounds like it is managed by "self-regulating" accounting/tax-declaration practices ?!

If - for example - the caravan manufacturing industry around Hull, imports glass units, sky-lights, other fittings, from Italy(?), and then exports the complete/finished caravans . . . the whole process/procedure, would be "off-the-books", and of no interest to the UK Government/Chancellor ?!

As far as I understand it, no fences and not a bonded site in the conventional sense.

I haven't looked in detail (was more interested in Sturgeon's amnesia yesterday that the budget) but I think its a paperwork excersise.
As long as goods are imported and exported from within the designated area it is classed as within the Freeport.
Don't think components would be included (but I haven't looked)
More a case of one container of elephants shipped in to Birkenhead from Cape TOwn, sits there for a month and then exported to Archangel then there is no tax/import liability

It's a good idea. Will be interesting how well it works but combined with the substantial investment in deep water berths and container capacity over the last couple of years it demonstrates a rare bt of joined up thinking from HMG.
I'm all for it.

More a case of one container of elephants shipped in to Birkenhead from Cape TOwn, sits there for a month and then exported to Archangel then there is no tax/import liability
Strictly no, but there may be a Sanctions/ licensing implications and trust me, they don't want to go down that path. A free port does not mean no customs oversight and after 30 odd years of not bothering suddenly the EU goes into hysterics over the security implications. S'cuse the chortle

Latest Threads