What now for the EU ?

civvy

Old-Salt
Being something of a grammar Nazi, when it suits me, the correct spelling is: Bremsstrahlung. Nouns all start with a capital letter. So 9 out of 10.
Now listen here. It's about 50 years ago that I failed my German 'o' level.

Radio Wales

Clanker
In comparison to other languages, it’s also easier to learn.
Only if you are a native. And even then not so much.

I think that to some degree, we English speakers had so much trouble achieving acceptable levels that they served to frighten us off having a go at other lingoes.
I had a stab at learning French. Perversely, I can read and (sort of) write it, but when trying to speak or listen, it might as well be a remote Martian dialect.
The off-spin of that was that I can now glean meanings out of Italian and Spanish.

One day, I will pick up enough courage to have a go at Welsh. One day!

That's clearly a superior documentary to the ones I used the peruse during my tender years. Whilst "Achtung!" certainly featured, the Germans tended to use a fairly limited vocabulary including words such as "Schweinhund!", "Kamerad!", "Nicht schiessen!" and "Aaaaargh!"
Britische terrorfliger!! Achtung Spitfire! Verdamnt Englander!

That's clearly a superior documentary to the ones I used the peruse during my tender years. Whilst "Achtung!" certainly featured, the Germans tended to use a fairly limited vocabulary including words such as "Schweinhund!", "Kamerad!", "Nicht schiessen!" and "Aaaaargh!"

And "Himmel!" When surprised by the daring British Commandos.

tgo

War Hero
Let's not forget the Japanese used to go for a fair bit of 'Aiiiiiiieee' in those tomes.

This is who we need on the White Cliffs of Dover, in charge of Border Control.

1614446145089.png

Attachments

• 1614446068505.png
    1614446068505.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 71
Britische terrorfliger!! Achtung Spitfire! Verdamnt Englander!
I’m still trying to work out who Hein was? But you can’t doubt their accuracy.
Britische Terror flieger , yes
attention Spitfire. Yes
Verdamte Englaender, still heard in the corridors of power in Edinburgh and Brussels not to mention Paris Oh, and Dublin probably

tgo

War Hero
I wonder if that's true, especially as they're going to cockblock individual countries to purchase pharmaceuticals, given the almighty cock up the EU made just now with that, would it drive more countries to consider leaving the EU.

In honour of Kranky taking the Jockanese superpower into the Reich the new language should be Gaylick.
Euro English, anyone?

POLITICO EU Confidential: Message to Moscow — Frontier fracas — Euro English

Marko Modiano, Professor of English at Gävle University, Sweden

The U.K. may have left the European Union, but the English language hasn’t left the Continent — nor should it, argues Marko Modiano.

Instead, Modiano says Europeans should get serious about owning their own version — Euro English, a variant of the language with its own rules — rather than be subject to American or British standards.

It’s not a question of whether or not Euro English exists, Modiano said, but rather “a question of how we respond to the fact that it is evolving.”

“I think people understand this intuitively, that it’s time for the people in mainland Europe … to determine the future of English for the European Union,” he said. “So we’re taking the power away from the native speakers and claiming English because it is our language.”

They will keep English but a very special English.
That's all settled then.

It seems pretty unlikely that the EU will fall apart; most likely they do their thing and we do ours. I’m pretty unusual in that my close friends are almost equally split between having wanted to stay in and having wanted to leave - it seems like a lot of people are in social groups that are 90% one way or the other, and that’s a shame.

Plural of anecdote isn’t data, but I work for a Chinese company these days and we decided that despite Brexit, the UK was where we want our Europe head office. Brexit meant that we had a debate about it and it could have gone the other way (if no Brexit it would have passed on the nod, no debate needed), so over time some of these opportunities will be siphoned off to the mainland but if we remain a lot more business friendly, as seems likely, it may not be a killer. I don’t think we dodged a bullet, but I don’t think we shot ourselves in the head either. Not even the foot. Maybe the earlobe or something.

It seems pretty unlikely that the EU will fall apart; most likely they do their thing and we do ours. I’m pretty unusual in that my close friends are almost equally split between having wanted to stay in and having wanted to leave - it seems like a lot of people are in social groups that are 90% one way or the other, and that’s a shame.

Plural of anecdote isn’t data, but I work for a Chinese company these days and we decided that despite Brexit, the UK was where we want our Europe head office. Brexit meant that we had a debate about it and it could have gone the other way (if no Brexit it would have passed on the nod, no debate needed), so over time some of these opportunities will be siphoned off to the mainland but if we remain a lot more business friendly, as seems likely, it may not be a killer. I don’t think we dodged a bullet, but I don’t think we shot ourselves in the head either. Not even the foot. Maybe the earlobe or something.
I partially concur, the EU is unlikely to fall apart, however it's causing itself endless amounts of self damage, it's credibility & reputation is consistent of toxic politics & poor decision making & that stems from the top.

The EU mafia's vindictive bitterness post Brexit is tangibly well known, I strongly suspect pt 2 of the current negotiations will turn even more ugly while Brussels continues lashing out at Lord Frost appointment.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads