Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

WightMivvi

War Hero
I could give you a dit that would leave you in stitches, but it would be off topic :) :)

It left a Bde Comd '' bewildered '' and left a Razzman '' Purple with rage '' :):)

Ahhhh Ok then

On the bus, off the bus for about 2 weeks.

Bde Comd; inspection on the square. 58 pattern webbing, larry largepacks, sausage bags, DMS boots & puttee's, the whole shebang packed to some crappy kit list.

Bde Comd & entourage reaches me, he looks me in the peepers and says

'' Do you have your housewife soldier '' ?

'' Yes Sir '' says I.

'' Where is it '' ? says the Briggie

'' In the bottom of my Larry '' says I

'' Why is it in the bottom of your Larry '' ? says the Briggie

'' Something has to go in the bottom of my Larry .........................................................'' says I

....... It was probably the '' not everything can go at the top '' that caused the confusion and bewilderment and the Razzman to turn a violent shade of purple :):)
Sadly, my experience of ”other ranks” and their slang is predominantly dark blue. By the time I was exposed to the green, I was having to deal with SNCOs and officers, mainly in the G6 area.

civvy

Old-Salt
Too late now.

Given the way it has been couched, not fighting them would be a sure vote loser this side of the Channel. It would be seen as capitulation to yet more EU thuggery. The EU perhaps forget that they are suggesting robbing UK grandmas of a chance to survive.

Well the pandemic already saw off mine, but I imagine people would take that quite personally. Brexit is, I think, an abstract for many; 'so long as it doesn't affect me'. A sizeable number of the UK population would be quite happy to live and let live and are quite capable of differentiating between 'The organisation' and its citizens.

The spectacular own goal here is that they've made it personal. People will read this as the EU coming for the very thing that will end a year of misery and pwrhaps even cost the lives of those they hold dear. What's more, they'd be right.

If they'd merely 'asked' (anathema, I know) 48 hours ago the response may have been quite different and served as a timely 'see, we're still friends - lets draw a line under the unpleasantness of Brexit and move forward'.

Alas, merely asking for assistance on behalf of its desparate peoples risks derailing the jus train. And this must be protected at all costs. Too many over inflated egos, money, power and influence depend upon it.

And here we are.

Demanding and asking are words that trip you up when translating between French and English. Always made me feel uneasy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BBC news reporting that AstraZeneca are annoyed at the attitude of the EU and have pulled out if a meeting re supply of vaccine.

civvy

Old-Salt
I foresee that we have not seen the last of all this grief around the Covid vaccine, and the total and utter mismanagement of it all by Brussels.
The people of Europe were largely not happy with the EU before all this.
There are two EU agencies dedicated to just this scenario, both of whom were not even lacing up their boots, to then go on the pitch to then take their eyes off the ball.
Apparently there is a European Centre for Disease Control based in Stockholm with an annual budget of €68 million for just 285 employees.
Then we have the world-beating EMA now based in Amsterdam still wondering whether to approve any Covid vaccines on behalf of the EU this side of February.

Like every other EU agency, except with respect to their various pay and allowance departments, a brewery always comes to mind.

With one eye on what is happening in the Netherlands at the moment, there is no doubt a shed-load of overtime going in the Brussels and Strasbourg areas to be earned by certain people.
And a lot of Plan B coming out to play.

There's a plan B?

What happened to plan A?

we haven’t got enough vaccines because the suppliers aren’t supplying that they are contractually obligated to supply when they are contractually obliged to.

For example AZ is contractually obliged to provide Ireland (as part of EU) with 230,000 doses in February and they are saying that they are only going to supply 200,000. It breach of contract.

all the EU wants to know is why
Are you really that clueless?

I could give you a dit that would leave you in stitches, but it would be off topic :) :)

It left a Bde Comd '' bewildered '' and left a Razzman '' Purple with rage '' :):)

Ahhhh Ok then

On the bus, off the bus for about 2 weeks.

Bde Comd; inspection on the square. 58 pattern webbing, larry largepacks, sausage bags, DMS boots & puttee's, the whole shebang packed to some crappy kit list.

Bde Comd & entourage reaches me, he looks me in the peepers and says

'' Do you have your housewife soldier '' ?

'' Yes Sir '' says I.

'' Where is it '' ? says the Briggie

'' In the bottom of my Larry '' says I

'' Why is it in the bottom of your Larry '' ? says the Briggie

'' Something has to go in the bottom of my Larry .........................................................'' says I

....... It was probably the '' not everything can go at the top '' that caused the confusion and bewilderment and the Razzman to turn a violent shade of purple :):)

You could have semi quoted Spike and said, "Everything's got to be somewhere."

we haven’t got enough vaccines because the suppliers aren’t supplying that they are contractually obligated to supply when they are contractually obliged to.
For example AZ is contractually obliged to provide Ireland (as part of EU) with 230,000 doses in February and they are saying that they are only going to supply 200,000. It breach of contract.
all the EU wants to know is why
It isn't just Ireland you know, although being an Irishman you will have heard of this town in France, and maybe even visited it perhaps?
Probably someone in your family will have.
Their population is normally around 14,000 with a large influx of tourists whenever that starts up again.

Click on motif for consultation, choose 1st vaccination and see what comes up.
I'll maybe save you some time there,

"Due to strong demand, this center is no longer available: 48 vaccinations will take place in the next 28 days.
Try again in a few days or find another centre."

For a town of 14,000 too.

(Have you spoken to FTAI General Manager Aidan Flynn yet?)

Last edited:
You could have semi quoted Spike and said, "Everything's got to be somewhere."
For info, Spike’s ‘Everybody’s got to be somewhere’ wasn’t original to him.
In one of Richmal Compton’s ‘Just William’ books, published in the late 20s, that exact line was used by William when asked what he was doing up a tree.

There's a plan B?

What happened to plan A?
It died three fold.

Plan B seems to be have a hissy fit with your most cost effective supplier.

BBC news reporting that AstraZeneca are annoyed at the attitude of the EU and have pulled out if a meeting re supply of vaccine.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Their CEO gave a very comprehensive explanation in La Repubblica - no doubt the same as that given to the Brussels bods. Not much left to add to that.
I mentioned above that pi**ing off Astra brings out the Viking in them!

Oh I can see a whole (SWIDT 1)load of possibilities in this scenario. How many different hoops (SWIDT 2) would the NHS have to leap through to do this?
Best admit defeat and ask the EU to sort it out on our behalf.

I’m sure the committee to agree to an agenda by Q4 next year. The the serious discussions could begin.

There's a plan B?
What happened to plan A

Their Plan A was to stay in the dressing room for 90 minutes lacing up their boots, until all of this either blew over or someone else came along and dealt with it.
As per SOP's.
Unless you have had dealings with continental fonctionnaires in their natural domain you will never understand the thought processes involved, although times really are changing and I have met some efficient ones recently.
I even get emails replied to now within a week!

Their Plan A was to stay in the dressing room for 90 minutes lacing up their boots, until all of this either blew over or someone else came along and dealt with it.
As per SOP's.
Unless you have had dealings with continental fonctionnaires in their natural domain you will never understand the thought processes involved, although times really are changing and I have met some efficient ones recently.
I even get emails replied to now within a week!
I definitely remember German military planning in AFG. Slack, and very shocked when things didn’t happen the way they planned them to.

The French just don’t like to compromise. Dismissive of everybody else.

An interesting read .

Surprisingly well balanced for the BBC.

I would say however they have omitted to mention IK testing rates ate significantly higher than other country’s.

Test and trace was a bit of a mess, but that didn’t help when people wouldn’t answer the phone, or in cases I’m aware of, turned the App off so they wouldn’t be contacted .

Ironically those I know who are being the most critical of the Governments handling of the pandemic seem to be the ones who have wilfully ignored the guidance.

Latest Threads