Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I found it such an hysterically bad article I just had to comment. Only mentioned the sloth like pace of EMA to approve vaccines, the speed of vaccination and the failure of the EU PPE purchase. I felt anymore would be rude
I wasn’t tempted to mention that the UK had sufficient ventilators for our needs under contact by late April last year . In case anyone misses that: April 2020. That chap is a weapons grade chopper.

Truxx

LE
I would argue it’s a logistical consideration and not a challenge. You might need to be careful about the reefer to achieve the -70c, but again it’s just a consideration, it’s not like new technology has to be invented for the task.
You would need an epic reefer to get down to -70. But definitely not beyond the wit of man.

OT, but I’ve just had a learning moment for the day.
Question on ‘The Chase’ just now:
‘In which of these countries, depending on circumstances and approval, is it legal to marry a dead person?’
A. Italy
B. The Netherlands
C. France

Ans: France
Amazing !

My bold nothing to do with Macrons lust for very elderly women like his granny, Sorry wife. Emmanuel Macron's wife on 25-year age gap: 'We have breakfast together, me and my wrinkles' - ABC News (go.com)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm far from being a Peston fan, quite the opposite in fact, however this thread analysis on the EU-AZ "Timeframe indifference" makes for quite balanced reading.

ES: primarily the UK was 3 months ahead of the EU.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
One f the replies to Peston is beyond priceless. I’m ashamed to say it’s from a fellow countryman - emphasise on the first syllable.

Attachments

• 32C08E5E-45D0-4D96-B2A2-8664213F2F11.png
    32C08E5E-45D0-4D96-B2A2-8664213F2F11.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 265
I would argue it’s a logistical consideration and not a challenge. You might need to be careful about the reefer to achieve the -70c, but again it’s just a consideration, it’s not like new technology has to be invented for the task.

If I remember correctly most reefers arent built for minus 70. (Purely because there is not normally a need)
So depending on how spread out the the jab centres are, the infrastructure (the power for most refrigerators is more than a household plug), how many vaccines are expected to be delivered at once and the availability of a decent freezer, it might well be a challenge.

You would need an epic reefer to get down to -70. But definitely not beyond the wit of man.
At least one solution is to use dry ice.

Two leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates poised for release are mRNA-based. Pfizer and BioNTech’s BNT162b2, the leading candidate in the companies’ BNT162 vaccine program, requires shipping and storage at -70º C. Pfizer and BioNTech—which on Friday requested authorization of BNT162b2 for emergency use—say they have developed temperature-controlled thermal shippers using dry ice to maintain temperature conditions of between -70º C and +10º C.

The shippers can be used as temporary storage units for 15 days by refilling with dry ice. Once thawed, the vaccine can be refrigerated for five days. Each shipper contains a GPS-enabled thermal sensor to track the location and temperature of each vaccine shipment across their pre-set routes leveraging Pfizer’s broad distribution network.

If I remember correctly most reefers arent built for minus 70. (Purely because there is not normally a need)
So depending on how spread out the the jab centres are, the infrastructure (the power for most refrigerators is more than a household plug), how many vaccines are expected to be delivered at once and the availability of a decent freezer, it might well be a challenge.
The vaccine is stored in cool boxes on dry ice. These can keep it usable for 30 days without external cooling.

Everything else, i.e. long-term storage, when the time comes and we have something we can store for a long time, is done in storage centres that have the necessary cooling equipment for -70 degrees.
So dingerr is right, it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, this did not prevent the authorities in Bavaria from doing everything wrong that could be done wrong with one of the first vaccine deliveries.
Vaccine for rapid consumption was delivered in Dometic CF-11 boxes. They are actually perfect for this because they easily reach the required temperature range of +2 to +8 degrees and also have two fancy can holders for the after-work beer - it is lockdown after all.

Someone was clever enough not to pre-cool the measuring device that was supposed to record the temperature curve, and so we suddenly had +14 degrees in places.
Bion Tech quickly declared the samples usable but, we are in Germany after all, the administration had reservations and so 1000 doses were rejected for the time being and put on ice.

The vaccine is stored in cool boxes on dry ice. These can keep it usable for 30 days without external cooling.
You will have to regularly (Daily) replace the dry ice though.

You will have to regularly (Daily) replace the dry ice though.
I don't know exactly. Va-Q-tec, a company that concentrates on special cooling solutions, is probably the manufacturer of the boxes and after looking it up pallet containers.

va-q-tec.jpg

I'm far from being a Peston fan, quite the opposite in fact, however this thread analysis on the EU-AZ "Timeframe indifference" makes for quite balanced reading.

As someone who voted to leave, reading Peston's outline of the problem, I feel kinda vindicated.

I'm so glad I voted to Brexit.

But Ireland tests only 1 in 2 persons, it is the same with Germany. What are the rules in your country? When is someone considered to have died of Corona?
These are the important questions. The numbers alone just say nothing.
Not sure what you mean by 1 in 2?

the testing criteria are changed from time to time, currently it is more of less any 1 covid symptom, close contact of a confirmed case (normally it is 2 tests for these as often the 1st test is negative) or there is serial (targeted testing - eg meat factories (which are seeing very high cases again), nursing homes etc).

Ireland is 35th in the world for tests per million, Germany is 50th

For deaths, Ireland could confirmed with covid, probable cases as per case definition, possible cases (symptoms, awaiting results, not otherwise explained in residential facilities). Where deaths have subsequently been found to not having been caused by covid they are denotifed.

Oyibo

LE

Most unlike Peston. I liked this snippet:

A pro-EU source at the company says "I understand Brexit better now".

Truxx

LE
At least one solution is to use dry ice.

Two leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates poised for release are mRNA-based. Pfizer and BioNTech’s BNT162b2, the leading candidate in the companies’ BNT162 vaccine program, requires shipping and storage at -70º C. Pfizer and BioNTech—which on Friday requested authorization of BNT162b2 for emergency use—say they have developed temperature-controlled thermal shippers using dry ice to maintain temperature conditions of between -70º C and +10º C.

The shippers can be used as temporary storage units for 15 days by refilling with dry ice. Once thawed, the vaccine can be refrigerated for five days. Each shipper contains a GPS-enabled thermal sensor to track the location and temperature of each vaccine shipment across their pre-set routes leveraging Pfizer’s broad distribution network.
As I say, not beyond the wit of man.

Latest Threads