Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

I particularly found this tres amusant:

"To start with, the European Medicines Agency doesn’t seem to be in any great hurry to approve vaccines. It still hasn’t passed the Oxford jab, even though it is one of those that the EU has ordered in quantity. AstraZeneca is now likely to find itself in the slightly surreal position of being sued across Europe for not delivering enough of a vaccine that hasn’t even been authorised for sale."
Probably a French ruse to support French pharma jobs.

I suspect the vaccines however will be like the PPE issue. You snooze, you loose and those producing it will keep hold of it to meet their needs first.

I don’t seem to recall anybody taking any legal action about the PPE companies who withheld supplies to meet national needs first.

I don't see Macron being in the Elysee Palace by Christmas.

My money is more on this bloke not being there:-

All of France vaccinated by the end of August apparently, forgetting what actually gets accomplished in the month of August in any year.

Thanks @philc That is very worrying for some countries out there. If that is how supposed developed countries are managing what hope is there for the 3rd world countries with tinpot dictators etc?

indeed, that’s why WuFlu will never go away. its now endemic in humanity with constant new strains going to be the norm.

we have entered the age of pandemic warfare.
see HMG strategic investment in VMIC

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Let's not count chickens, nor, despite our political bias, type too smugly yet.

Whilst the EU maybe behind the curve in vaccine procurement, authorisation and delivery we not in the clear yet; and have a huge way to travel on both first and second doses. Furthermore we (the ARRSE collective) should not be to hasty about to whom our "spare" doses should be sent.

IMHO they are not yet spare, in that, by the time we have given two doses to 60 (odd) million people we shall be having to go round again. Those additional doses, as yet un-manufactured, might have to be tuned to meet the variant that is prevalent come next winter. They ain't additional, they are as well as.......
Indeed, but there comes a time when proper planning can be out in place and allocations can be worked out more accurately.

I fully expect to be called to my GP next winter for flu jab in the right arm and CV jab in left arm (CV being more sinister :) ).

More woes for the EU on the vaccine front.

According to the Wall Street Journal, there could be further delays once approval is finally secured, for labels to be printed in the EU’s multiple languages. Even Franz Kafka might have decided that piece of bureaucracy was too far-fetched.

With UK now free , the official 'Working Languages' of the EU are now German and French.

Sieg Heil, mes amies !

I was very surprised to have a letter from NHS land on the doormat last week, reminding me that I haven't had a flu jab, and that it isn't too late to have one.

I thought the local surgery would be flat out doing vaccinations, but no, just pop along on Tuesday and jabs a good 'un.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Indeed, but there comes a time when proper planning can be out in place and allocations can be worked out more accurately.

I fully expect to be called to my GP next winter for flu jab in the right arm and CV jab in left arm (CV being more sinister :) ).
ISWYDT

With UK now free , the official 'Working Languages' of the EU are now German and French.

Sieg Heil, mes amies !
Actually, it still remains English.

You’ll notice that the SNPs online paper, the National was the one peddling that pump.

philc

LE
I was very surprised to have a letter from NHS land on the doormat last week, reminding me that I haven't had a flu jab, and that it isn't too late to have one.

I thought the local surgery would be flat out doing vaccinations, but no, just pop along on Tuesday and jabs a good 'un.

Likewise, had a letter and jab last week, local chemist, first time ever for me.

Rule, Britannia !
Britannia rules the waves etc
Nobody speaks French.

You’ll see them at NATO headquarters demanding that everything be sent out in French as well as English.

Funnily enough, I’ve not meant many Albanian, Norwegian, Hungarian or Polish French speakers.

France stopped being the language of diplomacy after WW1 when France stopped being a global power.

Nobody speaks French.

You’ll see them at NATO headquarters demanding that everything be sent out in French as well as English.

Funnily enough, I’ve not meant many Albanian, Norwegian, Hungarian or Polish French speakers.

France stopped being the language of diplomacy after WW1 when France stopped being a global power.
Basque would be a good choice, it would put both the French and Spanish noses out of joint plus bringing E.U business to a halt as probably only the Basques speak it.

"A language isolate, Basque is the only surviving Pre-Indo-European language in Western Europe. The current mainstream scientific view on origin of the Basques and of their language is that early forms of Basque developed before the arrival of Indo-European languages in the area i.e before the arrival of Romance languages that today geographically surround the Basque-speaking region. Structurally, as an agglutinative language Basque grammar remains very unlike that of Indo-European languages but has borrowed up to 40 percent of its vocabulary from the Romance languages,[11] and the use of the Latin script as the Basque alphabet".

Last edited:
My money is more on this bloke not being there:-

All of France vaccinated by the end of August apparently, forgetting what actually gets accomplished in the month of August in any year.
If I remember correctly. In France, Nothing.

Nobody speaks French.

I have worked for NATO for quite a while and the only French language documents I see are produced from NATO HQ. Even French component commands (Eurocorps, RRC FRA, JFAC FRA, FRA MARFOR and FRA CBRN Bn) produce everything in English.

English is the contemporary Lingua Franca.

Latest Threads