Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Oyibo

LE
If they can get a first class seat for that price they are doing very well, more like 8000 euros, each.

The EUR 6094 is in addition to the first class seats for each family member that are already paid for.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Quite right. As I understand it, the role of EU Ambassador, as opposed to Head of Delegation (whatever Brussels wants to call it, their representation in any country is a Delegation), is devolved to the officially accredited HE of the EU MS that holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
Apparently that was changed by the Lisbon Treaty. It is unclear if other countries actually do accredit EU Reps as full ambassadors.

This is going to be a massive kick in the swingers for the Germans

European Union lawmakers are expected to support a resolution on Thursday calling for the bloc to stop the completion of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline to take Russian natural gas to Europe, in response to the arrest of Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny.

Led by Russia’s Gazprom with Western partners, the pipeline is more than 90% complete and scheduled to operate from early 2021.

Anyone have any figures of how much Germany & German companies have pumped into this 90% complete project ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you really think Germany will just roll over and do what Brussels tells them? Just not going to happen.

Anyone have any figures of how much Germany & German companies have pumped into this 90% complete project ?
A bigger question is how Brussels views energy security. It may be not be highlighted as yet another uncomfortable truth goes against the message of unity, prosperity and a bright future.

I'd be more interested in how this affects their Energiewende programme which aims to phase out all nuclear powered generation by 2023 and coal fired (currently 40%) by 2038. Aiming for 60% of power generation by renewables, with gas filling in when the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

BobbHope

War Hero
That’s much better put than I did yes

because the U.K. has left the EU, they can diverge from EU standards at the sign of a pen. There is a risk of those being introduced to the Single Market unless proper controls are in place to prevent that. That means U.K. companies could gain competitive advantage over other producers.

yes it’s protectionism, because the Single Market is a bedrock of the EU common market.

the U.K. choice democratically to leave but it effect is the U.K. will be treated like any other 3rd country as a result. That isn’t the EU’s fault.

Agreed but you are stating the obvious. We are talking about a competitive advantage as defined by the EU commission which has clearly stated that it wishes to demonstrate to the U.K. the foolishness of leaving. I am sure that you hope that 'in the spirit of unity' the member states will be happy to follow the Commission's bidding. Do you genuinely believe that the Commission and Member states will consistently reach the same standards that they demand? Particularly in relation to state subsidies. Remember it's a two way deal. The U.K. objects to dodgy state subsidies (or tax breaks) in Ireland so raises controls on fishing areas or tariffs on dairy imports.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

I know its going to rob the Ukraine Gov of $2 Billion a year in revenue seriously crimping its finances.

It might have been Morocco, which has a large Atlantic & a lesser Mediterranean coast line. Morocco | Fisheries (europa.eu)
Their Sardine fishing rights are extremely important to their quite poor economy.
If you look at virtually all brands of canned Sardines on sale here, they are mostly from Morocco, with Essaouira being the main port for it with large canning factories there.
It is a great place to go for a really fresh fish meal with a line of restaurants virtually on the docks, where if you go in, they send you off with a waiter to pick your own fish from the numerous stalls on the dockside and then cook it to your requirements.
There is an interesting fortification there as well, dating back to Phoenician times and with an interesting selection of old Spanish, mainly cannons still there!
It was my favourite town in Morocco!

View attachment 536935

I'd like to put in a good word for their tinned mackerel fillets as well. The ones I prefer to buy in Israel are from a canning factory in the coastal city of Safi (Asfi).

Stop having such a downer on the UK. Especially events that happened about 200 years ago. Things weren't any better for the natives back then.

I'm not having a downer on the UK. I was explaining why farmers love foreign labour; they're easier to exploit.

In a few months they'll be looking for crop pickers and we'll get the old tropes of "The British are too lazy to pick crops".

They're not; they're just more difficult to exploit.

I'm not having a downer on the UK. I was explaining why farmers love foreign labour; they're easier to exploit.

In a few months they'll be looking for crop pickers and we'll get the old tropes of "The British are too lazy to pick crops".

They're not; they're just more difficult to exploit.
That is probably why so many african nations used slave labour.

Latest Threads