Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

I'm not claiming to be an expert on all of this but according to BBC Reality Check the level playing field is more to do with "preventing businesses in one country gaining a competitive advantage over those operating in other countries" rather than infection of the EU by non standard goods as your, rather febrile, comment suggests. *

As things stand we have the EU Commission which can decide, on behalf of the member states, if the U.K. unfairly makes changes to environmental standards, labour laws and state aid. If this happens then tarrifs could be imposed but not necessarily in the same policy area. The same applies the other way round.

I'm suggesting that one of the reasons that Member States might want an extension to the ratification of the free trade deal is that they may want a little more influence over what is described as a change. Some nations may seek to weaponize this agreement, others may not require a strict interpretation as they wish to continue to facilitate trade and do not relish any U.K. reciprocation of tariffs. Are all of the member states happy to abdicate this power to the EU commission?

* With regard to your "polute" comment. Perhaps you can agree that the normal U.K. production of goods will continue to meet U.K. legal standards which I suspect are at least equal to, if not better than the EU states. It looks like this aspect has already been exploited in certain areas but again it should work both ways. I'm sure that there may be some producers who seek to take advantage as always but hopefully not the importation of live Vietnamese youngsters.

That’s much better put than I did yes

because the U.K. has left the EU, they can diverge from EU standards at the sign of a pen. There is a risk of those being introduced to the Single Market unless proper controls are in place to prevent that. That means U.K. companies could gain competitive advantage over other producers.

yes it’s protectionism, because the Single Market is a bedrock of the EU common market.

the U.K. choice democratically to leave but it effect is the U.K. will be treated like any other 3rd country as a result. That isn’t the EU’s fault.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
The EU politburo were at one point arguing they were very essential workers and should be jabbed first.

The EU politburo workers?. The mere mention of the word 'work' could prove fatal to them.

because the U.K. has left the EU, they can diverge from EU standards at the sign of a pen. There is a risk of those being introduced to the Single Market unless proper controls are in place to prevent that. That means U.K. companies could gain competitive advantage over other producers.

yes it’s protectionism, because the Single Market is a bedrock of the EU common market.

the U.K. choice democratically to leave but it effect is the U.K. will be treated like any other 3rd country as a result. That isn’t the EU’s fault.
Of course, the existing EU declaration of conformity is not sufficient.
I mean, the Chinese export hundreds of thousands of containers of the biggest crap to the EU every year, but for the nasty little Englanders we do need "proper controls" indeed.
Fvcking brilliant!

That is entirely my point. Did they get the good news first?
No official information about that. But they wouldn't do that, would they? They will wait until the last normal citizen in the EU was vaccinated. After all:
We few, we happy few, we band of EUropeans;
For he to-day that shares his vaccine with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
or so.
One must hope that they got vaccinated with this new stuff Yersinia pestis.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Or, to out it more clearly, the EU know they have no chance of keeping up with a dynamic UK so have devised a way to try and slow them down. A quick look at the vaccines fiasco in the EU shows that up.

This will become less of an issue as the UK comes to realise how insignificant the EU is as we open up to the rest of the world, a world that the EU kept us from for four decades.

No official information about that. But they wouldn't do that, would they? They will wait until the last normal citizen in the EU was vaccinated. After all:
or so.

That's even funnier when you consider the context of the donor speech...

Edit:
Any of our EU citizens want to make an FOI request?

As I recall the EU were whining that UK standards were too high for them a while back.
Especially animal welfare

oh yeah?
Ireland’s treatment of the camp refugees it took in after the war was pretty disgusting too.
Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire, even the same black uniforms.

Oh yeah indeed.

Don't change the goalposts now, yow claimed Irish treatment of Ex-servicemen was akin to the Holocaust.

And the name of the garrison town?

or so.
Now you're a Shakey *walt. Is there no end to your walting?

* Will as opposed to Stevens. ;)

philc

LE
With regards to fish, has any one pointed out the lack of markets both in the EU and UK.

Never seen so many lobster pots out of the water down the harbour, why, no market for the produce seems to be the overall answer, no restaurants are open to buy, Supermarkets cant shift them, people are not buying from fishmongers, the crab stalls along many a sea front are closed so they are staying in the sea and the boats stay in the harbour. All shellfish are staying in the water.

This goes for the UK & the EU, even China, fisherman I know sells fresh lobster to China, not happening right now.

Same applies to white fish, when was the last time some here had fish & chips, sales are being made but not in the normal numbers.

I would imagine freezers are full as well at Grimsby and all other processing plants.

No market, no fishing.

and the funniest thing?

Gullible Europhiles like you have been drawn in by this, but are totally blind to the reality the EUs actions are driving nails into its own coffin.

Minor correction. Protectionism is the bedrock of the EU Single Market. Everything the EU does is to protect EU suppliers. From doubling tarrifs on Thai grown prawns to restricting the influx of sugar cane.

but it gets better!

The EU then pays subsidies to French fishermen to catch prawns in British waters, which are then flown to Thailand to be processed in the underused processing plants, then flown back to Germany where they are packed and sold as ‘German’ prawns.

Of course, the existing EU declaration of conformity is not sufficient.
I mean, the Chinese export hundreds of thousands of containers of the biggest crap to the EU every year, but for the nasty little Englanders we do need "proper controls" indeed.
Fvcking brilliant!
The CE marking is worthless on many products as the Chinese stick it on anything and everything .

Oh yeah indeed.

Don't change the goalposts now, yow claimed Irish treatment of Ex-servicemen was akin to the Holocaust.

And the name of the garrison town?

oh do bore off, the treatment of the servicemen was savage, causing many to commit suicide.
There’s a reason DeValeras grave is the most vandalised and pissed on in Ireland. The bastard ran Ireland as a concentration camp for 50 years.

Latest Threads