Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That's not true.

Telford is actually dull all day on Sunday... and most of the week as well come to think of it...
Most? REALLY?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
How about this for an idea for Boris (Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition) Johnson - instead of throwing money at UK companies to enable them to dance to the EU tune, allocate sums of money to companies to find export markets outwith the EU and assist them in every way to establish and expand these other markets.
There’s a whole Department for International Trade to facilitate just that. They’ve also done the 63+ thus far trade deals (call them rollovers if you want). And if it’s a really slow day for you why not take a stroll over to gov.uk and check out all of the stuff regarding exporting in a post brexit world

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There’s a whole Department for International Trade to facilitate just that. They’ve also done the 63+ thus far trade deals (call them rollovers if you want). And if it’s a really slow day for you why not take a stroll over to gov.uk and check out all of the stuff regarding exporting in a post brexit world
Dept of Trade are there to bribe foreign governments so money is paid to Bingo Bongo Land. I am suggesting that instead pay the money to UK firms and let them use it to grease their way into non EU markets. At the moment the government are giving money to companies to get over the angst of the EU politicians whose whole aim in life is to feck up the UK.

RTU'd

War Hero
Will Sealand now apply to be in the EU?.
1611157875021.png

IF true Prince Michael is a traitor to the Principality.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt

Dept of Trade are there to bribe foreign governments so money is paid to Bingo Bongo Land. I am suggesting that instead pay the money to UK firms and let them use it to grease their way into non EU markets. At the moment the government are giving money to companies to get over the angst of the EU politicians whose whole aim in life is to feck up the UK.

I don't think they have to grease anyones palms, there must be a queue of countries wanting to trade with the UK, They see prosperity, and the UK see growth. Give it a couple of years and the UK's GDP will increase substantially.

I love visiting Brokebrania, Where else would you see people who voted to raise trade barriers blaming the people who would rather not have trade barriers?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I’ve been involved in negotiations on MOU’s with foreign governments that had a trade dimension in them and sorry but I don’t understand or recognise what you are suggesting. The UK Government can have a significant role in helping companies win business and always have.
At other times industry doesn’t need much at all from government except to keep out of the way. Think whisky.

indeed. The RoI treatment of the men who did the right thing in 1939 was on a par with the German treatment of the Jews. Banned from any Government jobs, openly penalised by the state, their ex British forces pensions blocked.
despite honourably serving in WWI and going across again in 1939, my maternal Grandfather would never talk about it. We only managed to get the first memorial to the men from the town who died in WWI in my hometown in 2015. Up til then, not a single mention of the hundreds of local men who fought and died in WWI and II, this is in a garrison town.

To compare the terrible treatment those who went over to Britain to help fight the Axis powers received on their return to the Free State to Holocaust victims is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I would also be interested to know the name of the garrison town you mentioned.

To compare the terrible treatment those who went over to Britain to help fight the Axis powers received on their return to the Free State to Holocaust victims is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Don't get your hopes up for an informed reply. He is a pathological fantasist

BobbHope

War Hero
BobbHope said:
Maybe it's more than the single decision of the EU Commission. Which member states do you thing will be more restrictive - Ireland? What about Portugal, Italy or Poland. Will individual member states prefer a more reciprocal view on what a breach entails?

No MS wants the U.K. to be able to polute the Single Market with goods that don’t meet EU standards

I smell fear!

I'm not claiming to be an expert on all of this but according to BBC Reality Check the level playing field is more to do with "preventing businesses in one country gaining a competitive advantage over those operating in other countries" rather than infection of the EU by non standard goods as your, rather febrile, comment suggests. *

As things stand we have the EU Commission which can decide, on behalf of the member states, if the U.K. unfairly makes changes to environmental standards, labour laws and state aid. If this happens then tarrifs could be imposed but not necessarily in the same policy area. The same applies the other way round.

I'm suggesting that one of the reasons that Member States might want an extension to the ratification of the free trade deal is that they may want a little more influence over what is described as a change. Some nations may seek to weaponize this agreement, others may not require a strict interpretation as they wish to continue to facilitate trade and do not relish any U.K. reciprocation of tariffs. Are all of the member states happy to abdicate this power to the EU commission?

* With regard to your "polute" comment. Perhaps you can agree that the normal U.K. production of goods will continue to meet U.K. legal standards which I suspect are at least equal to, if not better than the EU states. It looks like this aspect has already been exploited in certain areas but again it should work both ways. I'm sure that there may be some producers who seek to take advantage as always but hopefully not the importation of live Vietnamese youngsters.

oh yeah?
Ireland’s treatment of the camp refugees it took in after the war was pretty disgusting too.
Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire, even the same black uniforms.

Latest Threads