Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Was working in Indonesia year before last. I was staggered by the size of the country (all those islands) the population number and just how eager they are to embrace modern technology. Lots of cheap labour there, very good sea links and over 600 airports!

Indonesia is very aggressively courting western companies looking to move production out of China.

Indonesia is very aggressively courting western companies looking to move production out of China.
Vice versa, Western countries are also courting them. Sweden for one.

WightMivvi

War Hero
The other day in a disagreement with a Remainer over this, I pointed out that mocking the UK is par for the course (although I refrained from suggesting it was out of jealousy). I pointed out terms like 'Perfidious Albion' and the 'Sick Man of Europe' go back decades if not centuries.

My response was to quote Millwall FC fans.
'You all hate us, and we don't care!'
But it’s fun highlighting this form of racism to those who make a big song and dance about fighting racism. ;)

Which is why I say I'm trying to work out his figures. I'd like to have an idea just how much we've dodged by leaving now.
I didn't do a thorough search, but what's funny is that I wasn't able to find official figures on the burden on individual member states.
I did find a figure of 27% for Germany, which is only about 200 billion excluding tips, but the EU seems to fear concrete figures like the devil fears holy water.
My best bet is you dodged a great heap from 150-200 billion euros.

Edited for confusing millions with billions, I guess that qualifies me for a job in the EU Commission.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
It is the Government’s job to facilitate legitimate business
They did.

Unfortunately some businesses chose to stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la" instead.

As an aside I am shipping an engine to Holland in the next couple of days.

The export declaration took me about the same time as it has taken to read your post and type this reply.

Even I can do it and I am thick as pig poo.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
How about this for an idea for Boris (Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition) Johnson - instead of throwing money at UK companies to enable them to dance to the EU tune, allocate sums of money to companies to find export markets outwith the EU and assist them in every way to establish and expand these other markets.

crow_bag

War Hero
It is the Government’s job to facilitate legitimate business
It is, but it is the businesses responsibility to ensure any paper required is completed accurately and submitted when and where required.

All the government would need to do to facilitate this is to make people aware of changes in paper work etc (which they have done).

It is not the governments responsibility to fill forms out for people, if people have filled out the wrong forms it is there fault, not the governments.

So exports aren’t important for the common good?

that provide jobs, pay taxes, etc

Irish people shouldn't really be talking about 'common good' and 'paying taxes'.

We know you're a tax haven. That untaxed dosh from Apple, etc, that's houses, hospitals, welfare, road improvements, police, environmental protections and all the other stuff taxes pay for.

It is, but it is the businesses responsibility to ensure any paper required is completed accurately and submitted when and where required.

All the government would need to do to facilitate this is to make people aware of changes in paper work etc (which they have done).

It is not the governments responsibility to fill forms out for people, if people have filled out the wrong forms it is there fault, not the governments.

brexit added red tape and bureaucracy when it was sold to the electorate that it would reduce it and this new red tape isn’t all the EU’s.

absolutely agree with you but the Governments should be facilitating legitimate trade by making it easy to complete.

part of the problem is that companies had a lot of time to prepare but they didn’t know for sure until a few weeks ago what exactly they were preparing for.

brexit added red tape and bureaucracy when it was sold to the electorate that it would reduce it and this new red tape isn’t all the EU’s.

I voted to specifically stop FoM, so I've never been particularly arsed about trade; I know enough to know capitalism is clever and finds a way.

But what happens if the 'red tape' does decrease for non-EU markets; i.e. the 85% of the world that isn't in the EU?

If they have no vacancies, Dianne Abbott may have an opening for you.
Good grief!
I can't even count properly and you want to make me an oceanographer. You have left, these are your waters now and it is your EEZ and you are responsible for everything that wallows and grunts in it. One of the British gentlemen on this site will surely have mercy on it and do the deed.

crow_bag

War Hero

absolutely agree with you but the Governments should be facilitating legitimate trade by making it easy to complete.

part of the problem is that companies had a lot of time to prepare but they didn’t know for sure until a few weeks ago what exactly they were preparing for.
So we shouldn’t have left the European Union because exporters might have to fill out some extra forms?

Of course, the fact the delays are being caused in France, and that, allegedly, the SNP are delaying paperwork to try and pin the blame for problems in Brexit mean it is the UK governments fault.

I imagine COVID also isn’t helping the situation, as the restaurants that would be buying Scottish shellfish aren’t open.

Truxx

LE

He shoots

And it goes over the bar again.

I would estimate that the vast majority of businesses that export are all over this. We are only hearing from a shouty minority.

Red tape and bureaucracy is businesses stock in trade, and even when we were part of the 4th Reich it abounded, from country of origin certification to cabotage, working time directive and VAT and other tax arrangements.

Preparation was a doddle. As it happens, the endstate is a lot easier to manage then anyone could have hoped for.

Those organisations who genuinely cannot manage it do not deserve to be in business.