Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

As I suggested above, it’s down to a form of racism.

It has become acceptable to portray the British as nasty, closed minded, ignorant, incompetent and devious.

We are not to be trusted and, if left uncontrolled, will deliberately design and sell toys that will choke babies, will sell tainted meat to poison children, and will export germs to kill the elderly.

The British have to be threatened as they are incapable of acting in a civilised and safe way otherwise.

The Brits are to be considered as, and portrayed as, a dangerous and devious race.
No it’s a trade relationship as per what has been agreed

Oh that's easy, because politics came into play. The EU and of course the MS had the glorious idea that only a joint effort could defeat the virus. So far so good, only then the idea came up that one or better the EU could save some money. Israel pays Phizer-Biontech 39 dollars per vaccination dose, i.e. two injections, the EU 18 dollars. They also rejected several hundred million vaccine doses that were offered to them for sale.
Befopre that little Monsieur Macron stamped his foot and shouted "Non, Non, Non, NON!" and as if by a miracle Sanofi had a contract for 300 million doses of a vaccine that, as far as I know, does not yet exist.
On top of that, of course, there are the shortcomings within the individual member states, but in the end the EU's policy costs several 10,000 lives in Germany alone.

Your asociates should actually know that too.

To much fanfare a new online booking system, and the second tranche of vaccinations was rolled out in France on Monday.
I am currently trying to book an appointment online for a 76 year old neighbour without any success.
The message coming up at any centre that you try to book in at says "Due to very high demand and a limited stock of vaccines, all appointments have already been made. Availability will appear soon. Try again in a few days or find another centre."
That comes up on any centre that you care to try online.(Except one that I found at the other end of France that had one appointment available all week).
Ordinary people who have worked and paid taxes all their lives are being let down badly for a political dream.

(My own group to be vaccinated not being in any risk category, or a coffin-dodger just comes up optimistically with the timescale of "springtime!") :rolleyes:

As a citizen of a MS I dare ask how would the UK "pollute" the Single Market "with goods that don’t meet EU standards"?
The UK left the EU just over a year ago. We had the famous transition period but effectively the UK was out. During that time, all MS imported products from the UK without much hesitation. I have 10 pieces of cheddar stashed in the fridge here before the Brexit sends me in cold turkey.

And now all of a sudden, just over two weeks after the Agreement, products from the UK are violating "EU standards"?

I don't find that particularly credible.
I didn’t say that they are it is the risk that they are. The U.K. now has one of the best trade deals for goods in the world with the EU.

Once the U.K. decided to leave the Customs Union this is the consequences. Being treated like all other countries that is outside the customs Union. Same as Switzerland, Norway, Canada, the US. But on better terms than them

I didn’t say that they are it is the risk that they are. The U.K. now has one of the best trade deals for goods in the world with the EU.

Once the U.K. decided to leave the Customs Union this is the consequences. Being treated like all other countries that is outside the customs Union. Same as Switzerland, Norway, Canada, the US. But on better terms than them

How's the Irish plan to tow Ireland down into the Bay of Biscay going?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It is the Government’s job to facilitate legitimate business
Yes it is. However, facilitating business means attempting the best environment possible for trade; it does not meaning playing tilt-nipple to incompetents who can't fill out a form correctly when their company's success depends on it. Nor does it follow that "facilitating business" should be a Government's primary concern. If anything, it's the EU's obstructiveness that is preventing their trade, not the UK.

Edit: and the SNP's obstructiveness as well...

When we find more alternatives to the products that the EU currently provide to and for us, our European friends attitudes may change somewhat.

So what is your view of the gloomy assessment for Irish trade and freight transport raised by Aidan Flynn, and his problems with the Rosslare/Dunkirk route?
I really don't think that a country can sustain its economy on one ferry route with a very limited capacity.
From what I am reading too, the French are certainly treating your drivers as though they were British, not a lot of advantage there either.
First the Irish fisheries industry and now the Irish transport industry.
Who will be next on the Irish unhappy with Brexit list?

Not so much mentality as ‘computer he say no’.
I’ve come across this problem in Italy and Switzerland when asked by officialdom for DoB/PoB.
‘UK’ does not compute. It seems the official and, therefore, acceptable abbreviation is ‘GBR’.
In my passport the ‘Code’ at the top of the ‘details’ page, next to the Serial Number, is ‘GBR’.

UK frequently gets confused with Ukraine (UKR).

To much fanfare a new online booking system, and the second tranche of vaccinations was rolled out in France on Monday.
I am currently trying to book an appointment online for a 76 year old neighbour without any success.
The message coming up at any centre that you try to book in at says "Due to very high demand and a limited stock of vaccines, all appointments have already been made. Availability will appear soon. Try again in a few days or find another centre."
That comes up on any centre that you care to try online.(Except one that I found at the other end of France that had one appointment available all week).
Ordinary people who have worked and paid taxes all their lives are being let down badly for a political dream.

(My own group to be vaccinated not being in any risk category, or a coffin-dodger just comes up optimistically with the timescale of "springtime!") :rolleyes:
The same chaos here in Germany, made more difficult by the fact that in Germany, as a paragon of federalism, every state is cooking its own soup (no pun intended).
Either by telephone hotline: Permanently busy.
Or by website, which in my home state of Hesse is unavailable 3 or 4 minutes after activation due to overload. Should now work on odd days when there is a full moon between 2300 hrs and 2313hrs.
Or, welcome to the 18th century, by letter. Quite apart from the fact that the letters are not delivered if the horse of the mounted messenger breaks a leg, they are not allowed to use the official registration lists because of EU data protection laws, because the order went to a private company. Now they use lists generated by Deutsche Post using Alghoritmus. That was probably in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Sometimes I have the thought that it would be good to let 10% of the politicians in Berlin and the capitals of the federal states dangle publicly from the street lamps every year, pour l'encourage les autres.

They don't tread them like all countries. I'm often at motorway stations or service areas, where there are often lorries from Ukraine or Belarus. Strangely enough, the vast majority of drivers have food, including meat, from their home countries. The British have their ham sandwiches taken away from them at the border to France and Holland.
Is that the same treatment?

As I suggested above, it’s down to a form of racism.

It has become acceptable to portray the British as nasty, closed minded, ignorant, incompetent and devious.

We are not to be trusted and, if left uncontrolled, will deliberately design and sell toys that will choke babies, will sell tainted meat to poison children, and will export germs to kill the elderly.

The British have to be threatened as they are incapable of acting in a civilised and safe way otherwise.

The Brits are to be considered as, and portrayed as, a dangerous and devious race.

The other day in a disagreement with a Remainer over this, I pointed out that mocking the UK is par for the course (although I refrained from suggesting it was out of jealousy). I pointed out terms like 'Perfidious Albion' and the 'Sick Man of Europe' go back decades if not centuries.

My response was to quote Millwall FC fans.
'You all hate us, and we don't care!'

Has anyone mentioned this tweet by a German MEP yesterday?

I'm trying to work out how he got that figure as it seems a little high...
Well he is from the AfD and kind of a shady chraracter. The judiciary was after him for misuse of titles, walting as a Professor, something that is punishable in Germany.
I don't really trust his figures, but I on the other hand don't doubt it a minute that the whole COVID-19 recovery Yada Yadda thing will be extremely expensive.

Well he is from the AfD and kind of a shady chraracter. The judiciary was after him for misuse of titles, walting as a Professor, something that is punishable in Germany.
I don't really trust his figures, but I on the other hand don't doubt it a minute that the whole COVID-19 recovery Yada Yadda thing will be extremely expensive.

Which is why I say I'm trying to work out his figures. I'd like to have an idea just how much we've dodged by leaving now.

Latest Threads