Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

The overnight winter ferry crossing from Newcastle to Oslo made for some of the funniest disco dancing, with shitfaced passengers trying to stay upright (until they copped off) on a darkened dancefloor in strobe lighting.

It was from my home town, North Shields, to Oslo. Lots of Norgies would come for a weekend to North Shields for the cheap drink and lively pubs. It was cheap compared to Norway.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As a citizen of a MS I dare ask how would the UK "pollute" the Single Market "with goods that don’t meet EU standards"?
The UK left the EU just over a year ago. We had the famous transition period but effectively the UK was out. During that time, all MS imported products from the UK without much hesitation. I have 10 pieces of cheddar stashed in the fridge here before the Brexit sends me in cold turkey.

And now all of a sudden, just over two weeks after the Agreement, products from the UK are violating "EU standards"?

I don't find that particularly credible.
The Polizei will be around shortly to confiscate your cheesy comestibles, and to give you a lift to your residential re-education course...

WightMivvi

War Hero
My EUtopian associates are having a bit of a crisis,

Cant wait to go on holibobs to EUtopia, but can’t get their head around how Brexit Little Britain is vaccinating everyone, while wonderful EUtopia is floundering.
As I suggested above, it’s down to a form of racism.

It has become acceptable to portray the British as nasty, closed minded, ignorant, incompetent and devious.

We are not to be trusted and, if left uncontrolled, will deliberately design and sell toys that will choke babies, will sell tainted meat to poison children, and will export germs to kill the elderly.

The British have to be threatened as they are incapable of acting in a civilised and safe way otherwise.

The Brits are to be considered as, and portrayed as, a dangerous and devious race.

The Polizei will be around shortly to confiscate your cheesy comestibles, and to give you a lift to your residential re-education course...
My good English Cheddar? Out of my dead cold hands.
They probably feed you there with this Kerrygold crap anyway.

As a citizen of a MS I dare ask how would the UK "pollute" the Single Market "with goods that don’t meet EU standards"?
The UK left the EU just over a year ago. We had the famous transition period but effectively the UK was out. During that time, all MS imported products from the UK without much hesitation. I have 10 pieces of cheddar stashed in the fridge here before the Brexit sends me in cold turkey.

And now all of a sudden, just over two weeks after the Agreement, products from the UK are violating "EU standards"?

I don't find that particularly credible.
They are giving themselves the rope they well hang with .....
Businesses selling to the EU finding themselves blocked by mounting bureaucracy and pettiness will simply find ( or prioritise ) other markets , which will make the product ranges on offer in shops on the Continent poorer .
Whilst I can ( vaguely ) understand them wishing to protect their own producers , blocking other products such as Scottish seafood serves no purpose at all .

Businesses selling to the EU finding themselves blocked by mounting bureaucracy and pettiness will simply find ( or prioritise ) other markets , which will make the product ranges on offer in shops on the Continent poorer .
Whilst I can ( vaguely ) understand them wishing to protect their own producers , blocking other products such as Scottish seafood serves no purpose at all .

The EU forgets, there is another 85% of world trade we can now deal with.

Well on Euronews the representative for the European health service was having a hissy fit with those who thought they were not being treated fairly by Europe.... moving quickly on let's have a look at America.

I like to watch Euronews for a laugh.

Its like Die Deutsche Wochenschau, but without the Hugo Boss

I‘ll back this up - having crossed the Solent over 10,000 times in all weathers up to force 11, I can confirm boats are often not comfortable or relaxing. I have seen people sick, fainting, thrown out of their seats, having to hold on tight for the entire journey. Then throw in the noise: constant loud bangs from various parts of the boat (doors, lifts, kitchens, plates, cups), repeated announcements (“please brace yourselves” every few minutes is particularly uncomfortable), constant car alarms, howling wind, constant rain and crashing waves.

And that’s in a sheltered 5 mile bit of water.

The chances are, for at least 3 months of the year, a 24h crossing isn’t going to be restful and won’t be as quick as 24h.

Amen, sailing in shitty weather is for the hardcore or naive.

I‘ll back this up - having crossed the Solent <snip>, I can confirm boats are often not comfortable or relaxing. <snip>constant car alarms,
That's because no one except me seems to have worked out how to switch off the anti tow and intruder detector systems.

And that's the bit that's growing.

Over the next 20 years, the Asia Pacific market will double in size, while Europe will remain stagnant.

Indonesia will grow by 600% - have you some of that!

The EU's bitter reality

All of the worlds economic growth will be outside the EU
All of the worlds population growth will be outside the EU
All of the worlds welfare spending growth will be inside the EU

Last edited:

crow_bag

War Hero

the quote is “not filling in the right forms”
And are they filling in the right forms?

it is not the governments job to fill in export and customs forms, that falls solely down to the business in question, so if they are not filling in the right forms, or are filling them in incorrectly then that is their fault, no one else’s.

Over the next 20 years, the Asia Pacific market will double in size, while Europe will remain stagnant.

Indonesia will grow by 600% - have you some of that!
Was working in Indonesia year before last. I was staggered by the size of the country (all those islands) the population number and just how eager they are to embrace modern technology. Lots of cheap labour there, very good sea links and over 600 airports!

it is not the governments job to fill in export and customs forms, that falls solely down to the business in question, so if they are not filling in the right forms, or are filling them in incorrectly then that is their fault, no one else’s.
Yes but they weren't told until the very last minute what the changes would be and the government never gave any money to help them transition. Oh wait! One or both of those is a lie.

It is the Government’s job to facilitate legitimate business

What is there to protect. Trade if you look at it basically is I take some of yours and give you some of mine.
We all, be it the continent or the Isles, have centuries of trade links, not to mention our shared history, which has not always been good but mostly far from bad.
Punishing the UK for leaving is like cutting your own nose out of your face.

The latest joke that seems to be hitting many EU businesses is the issue of Europelettes. Within the EU it is not necessary to use pallets treated to ISPM-15 standards, apparently there are no phytosanitary concerns in the EU and no plant diseases anyway.
Now it has been discovered that the UK is no longer part of the EU and you have to use ISPM-15 standard treated pallets. These are apparently in short supply and now there are problems with exports.
Isn't that great?

which is great for British industry isn’t it?

Latest Threads