Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
About time too - reality is starting to sink in. Brexit may well turn out to be the modern equivalent of the barbarians at the gates by exposing the weaknesses and flaws within the EU.

Incidentally a German friend (of 20 years standing) appears to have stopped speaking to me after I sent this in response to an email from him in which he said it was in nobody's interests for the UK to leave the EU:

Now that the UK has left the EU we can ensure that our money is spent to benefit the UK and that we are no longer a cash cow for the EU to prop up failing economies like Greece and Italy and to subsidise French farmers.

We won't have to suck it up when the EU gives a huge amount of subsidies to companies like Ford to move their factories to places like Turkey or eastern Europe and to close their plants in the UK.

We do not have to listen to the likes of incompetent Eurocrats like von der Leyen, who presided over the decline of the German military into ineffective impotence (no money, not enough equipment, major equipments not working, aircraft unable to fly etc) while spending money on creches for the barracks .

We can control our own territorial waters and prevent the French and Spanish fishing fleets from over fishing them without any regard for sustainability.

We no longer have to put up with the likes of arrogant politicians such as Merkel and Macron telling us how to run our own country and trying to impose third world immigration on us when we are already a small overcrowded island. Another million muslim "refugees"? No thanks.

I think the EU is going to have some real problems in the coming years and the attitude of a lot of people I know is that we would rather be watching from the outside rather than struggling to escape from the inside. A lot of it comes down to the way the EU has treated the UK over the years and how it has tried to "punish" the UK for daring to leave.

May the EU sink in it's own excreta, and the sooner the better.

A real shame they sullied an informative piece with the opinion of an author.

As far as restricted movement between the two jurisdictions goes, the reaction from the government in Dublin to the 2000 foot and mouth scare could have been replicated.

@irlsgt thoughts ?

It’s true, tens of thousands of people arrived in RoI from the U.K. over Christmas. In my town about 1 in every 10/15 cars over Christmas had an NI reg.

300 border crossings versus what 10-15 ports & airports carrying passengers onto the island? Much more efficient approach is a co-ordinated all island approach. Hopefully as restrictions are eased any outbreaks can be contained with local lockdowns after that. The current Garda approach is snap short term checkpoints around the country (no more long tailbacks on the major routes with larger scale checkpoints as well as the snap ones).

also sealing the border in 2001 required thousands of Gardai and troops, that are required around the rest of the country (there was still an outbreak on 1 farm in RoI due to smuggling across the border)

the good news is Irish restrictions have stabilised the increase. In the last 2 weeks, there was 4 days where there was over 6,000 new cases and 1 day where there was over 8,000. The last 4 days have had under 4,000 each day.

Last edited:
300 border crossings versus what 10-15 ports & airports carrying passengers onto the island? Much more efficient approach is a co-ordinated all island approach.

well yes, but Dail Eirann was much more concerned with proving themselves to be the most loyal of loyal EUropeons and kicking ‘the Brits’ at every opportunity, than acting with good all island sense.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
300 border crossings versus what 10-15 ports & airports carrying passengers onto the island? Much more efficient approach is a co-ordinated all island approach. Hopefully as restrictions are eased any outbreaks can be contained with local lockdowns after that. The current Garda approach is snap short term checkpoints around the country (no more long tailbacks on the major routes with larger scale checkpoints as well as the snap ones).

also sealing the border in 2001 required thousands of Gardai and troops, that are required around the rest of the country (there was still an outbreak on 1 farm in RoI due to smuggling across the border)

the good news is Irish restrictions have stabilised the increase. In the last 2 weeks, there was 4 days where there was over 6,000 new cases and 1 day where there was over 8,000. The last 4 days have had under 4,000 each day.
Does that mean the virus has reached capacity? ::)

It’s true, tens of thousands of people arrived in RoI from the U.K. over Christmas. In my town about 1 in every 10/15 cars over Christmas had an NI reg.

Hindsight is always 20/20 , and some good observations on the volume of traffic. The point I was trying to get across is that the Dublin government, with the necessary minerals could replicate the 2000 border restrictions.

It wouldn't take Gardai at every point to ensure it is implemented. It would take up the Army but with the right orders combined with a well publicised policy on restricted cross border travel, it could be achieved without the sky falling in.

As for the single outbreak, well no doubt there was an after action review produced. Dust it off, fine tune it and get to grips with external influences

Phew. I knew it would be good news.

Let me tell you a story
Back when BSE was prevelant I used to go to Dunlavin co carlow tto collect a tanker of green tallow ( foul stuff)
But talking and smoking with one of the workers I asked what a particular machine was doing?
He said it was a centrifuge for getting all the moisture out of bones so they could be heated and crushed for bone meal. For the gardens I asked? No its cattle feed he said. But I said cows are not carnivore his reply " ******* good enough for them" the republic kept denying any cases of BSE at the time.
******* devious cnuts.who twist all the figures.and it'll be the same with covid figures.but I dare say irlsgt will spin it differently.