Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

I would do both.
Firstly, there is the issue of infrastructure. If one wants to save lives, the better infrastructure allows for more rapid vaccinations. Plus for the RoI. The proximity of the RoI and the transparent border means any reservoir of infection in the RoI is an issue for us, more so than SL or Gambia.
Secondly, regarding SL and Gambia, absolutely we should help them. I would supply them FoC in amounts that the local infrastructure can handle efficiently, otherwise you have stock that's sitting in storage when it really needs to be getting out asap - and in countries with poor medical infrastructure, proper storage is an issue. Furthermore there's pilferage and corruption to be wary of. So supply them in quantities that they can readily and immediately handle.
Just my 2p.
Excellent observation.
Should be locked in to government thinking.....
Oh

it isn’t a sly dig it’s fact

Target is all over 70s, all nursing home residents & staff and all front line health workers by end of March.

That’s 700,000 people btw which is 14% of the population.

it is significantly ramp up after that as supply increases

It's mid-February for the UK. We did over a quarter of a million today according to the BBC news.

Poor Ireland, how many will die because of the EU vaccination procurement scheme?

It's mid-February for the UK. We did over a quarter of a million today according to the BBC news.

Poor Ireland, how many will die because of the EU vaccination procurement scheme?

10% of the population are Irish or entitled to Irish citizenship.

that means far more Irish people were vaccinated today in Britain than in Ireland to date.

Widely regarded by facebook buffs and Boris grrr merchants as the reason for the pandemic and an excuse for gathering in large numbers coughing on one another. Oh and Dominic Cummings, who personally killed thousands.

ETA not you @Kinch ....
Yes but on the plus side, the first day was very profitable for me..................

....................not so much the other 3 days.

old but

burley without a bucket of studio applied artex

74D6C3E2-3142-481F-A195-4C2FF69B9B4C.jpeg

Those of (or older than) a certain age on here may remember the wine lakes, butter mountains and the storage of other foodstuffs in the 1970s and 1980s by the EEC intervention boards in order to maintain high prices for the unproductive (mainly) French farmers.

The cost of food to the British consumer went through the roof during this period.

What happened to all the surplus food stored by the then EEC?. A good part of it was sold to the former Soviet Union with well-connected corrupt French politicians (is there any other type of French politician)? making a killing as middlemen in these transactions.

One of the greatest post-war rip-offs of the British consumer that there ever was.

Those of (or older than) a certain age on here may remember the wine lakes, butter mountains and the storage of other foodstuffs in the 1970s and 1980s by the EEC intervention boards in order to maintain high prices for the unproductive (mainly) French farmers.

The cost of food to the British consumer went through the roof during this period.

What happened to all the surplus food stored by the then EEC?. A good part of it was sold to the former Soviet Union with well-connected corrupt French politicians (is there any other type of French politician)? making a killing as middlemen in these transactions.

One of the greatest post-war rip-offs of the British consumer that there ever was.
True. When we joined the EEC in 1973 food in the UK was a hell of a lot cheaper than in Europe even though it had to travel half way across the world from Australia, New Zealand and Canada. By 1981 there was no difference and food had become a lot more expensive. Even though we were the poorest of the 9 members of the EEC except for Ireland we were paying the second highest contributions after West Germany which was all down to the Common Agricutural Policy with their massive subsidies to inefficient French farmers with their middle ages farming techniques and German hobby farmers.

This continued until Saint Margaret of Thatcher went to Brussels in the eighties, gave the frogs and krauts a good shoeing with her lead lined handbag and got us our rebate. Most of which that w*nker Blair gave away for no gain.

HM Forces got some of it. Not from the wine lake obviously.

True. When we joined the EEC in 1973 food in the UK was a hell of a lot cheaper than in Europe even though it had to travel half way across the world from Australia, New Zealand and Canada. By 1981 there was no difference and food had become a lot more expensive. Even though we were the poorest of the 9 members of the EEC except for Ireland we were paying the second highest contributions after West Germany which was all down to the Common Agricutural Policy with their massive subsidies to inefficient French farmers with their middle ages farming techniques and German hobby farmers.

This continued until Saint Margaret of Thatcher went to Brussels in the eighties, gave the frogs and krauts a good shoeing with her lead lined handbag and got us our rebate. Most of which that w*nker Blair gave away for no gain.
I think it’s worth bearing in mind that prices were already rising due to that benighted idiot Heath and decimalisation, so that U.K. currency could be ready for a monetary Union. That had been started in concept by Wilson. I voted for Heath, that was my first election. I voted against Wilson because he announced he would bring in the vote for 18 yos after my 18th and ruined the whole point of being 21. The one thing that has never changed here is political opportunism and I determined long ago that I can live with criminals running the asylum, at least they’re honest about it. But it’s long been my view that decimalisation did far more to damage competitiveness than joining the EEC.