What now for the EU ?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
[DRIFT] Copied across from the offshore-patrol-vessels thread . . . .

+ + + + + + + + + +

Published by: RN/MoD, on 22 June 2020.

HMS Pursuer and Dasher prepare for Rock mission.

There are two new, temporary guardians of the Rock: P2000s HMS Pursuer and HMS Dasher.

Over the coming weeks the patrol craft will take over from Her Majesty’s Ships Scimitar and Sabre which have been the mainstay of the Royal Navy Gibraltar Squadron for the past 17 years.

1593029899852.png

Scimitar and Sabre are being replaced after nearly 30 years’ service – they spent a decade in Northern Ireland before being transferred to Gibraltar in 2003 – under the wide-ranging programme to upgrade the RN’s small boat flotilla, which has already seen HMS Magpie and new work boats at HMS Raleigh delivered.

Dasher
and Pursuer are considerably larger and more complex vessels to maintain and operate than Sabre or Scimitar, so the latters’ crew can get used to the new craft (among the differences, there are cabins, mess, galley and bunks on the P2000s as well as a rarely-used enclosed bridge).

1593029865409.png

[/DRIFT]
Why can't they use the guns in the rock and fire a shot across their bows as per their designated purpose?

not as cheap maybe but much more fun

JuniorBod

War Hero
So today is the day for the bunfight at the OK Coral, the EU will try to set its next 7 year MFF and 750 billion covid bailout slush fund.

Nothing to see here I hear you say, EU's second favourite milch has gone awol, the frugals are increasing in number, Orban says nyet to budget unless there is a stop to EU interference in law reforms in Poland and Hungary, club med don't want the visegrad bloc to receive free dosh, le frogs want a 90 billion bung and on and on....

What could possibly go wrong...

JB

Nothing to see here I hear you say,
Plenty to see here.

I would posit that this has nothing to do with the Covid Crisis as such and more a case of not letting a good crisis go to waste.

An agreement on the EU Recovery Fund would be historic -- as it would mean European leaders crossing the Rubicon of shared debt liabilities, moving closer to full fiscal union.

€750 Billion across 27 Countries spread over 5 years is about as effective as trying to stop a charging elephant with your bare hands.

JuniorBod

War Hero
Freudian slip from the Telegraph this morning...

Merkel cautious as summit begins
With the European Council meeting kicking off, the tone from Herman leader Angela Merkel – a chief architect of the initial €750bn proposal

JB

Edit for speelung

As the current talks are now in there 3rd day, with no agreement in sight.

A brief glimpse of the Unity, Harmony and Solidarity that is the EU :D :D

There are 27 Country heads at this summit.

The rest are in the naughty classroom being whipped into submission by some beardy twat called Michelle :):)

From this mornings TV news I see that harmony and happyness abound among the 27 EU members.
Well not quite, the summit is turning into a running goat f**k. Certain countries which will be giving the money, first and foremost the Netherlands are not happy with the initial proposals and despite much talk and compromise are still not happy. Basically those who want the money, eg Italy, Poland and Hungary, want it with no conditions or strings attached, ie gizz the money and shut up. The money providers want the money to be made available for specific purposes and be fully accountable.
Funny how the EU can more or less get its sh1t together on trivial things, but once people start talking serious money then off come the gloves.

The rest are in the naughty classroom being whipped into submission by some beardy twat called Michelle
He's going to have to do a lot of whipping. Nobody likes the idea of paying for the financial irresponsibility of others. I also believe that elections are due in the Netherlands, that means that Mark Rutte is going to have to sell the decision to the voters and they are going to have to buy it if he wants to remain in office.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
what is interesting is the EU is saying it needs the money to bail itself out over brexit.

that is more the reason behind the desperation and why they have been pushing a fake C19 agenda.

last years proposal regarding greater EU powers to deal with pandemics was quite telling.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Plenty to see here.

I would posit that this has nothing to do with the Covid Crisis as such and more a case of not letting a good crisis go to waste.

€750 Billion across 27 Countries spread over 5 years is about as effective as trying to stop a charging elephant with your bare hands.
it is a good way of reducing the EU's unofficial debt bu hiding it (the real reason for debt union, they need to shed the 400bn of debts the UK was paying the interest on), while tying everyone into a federalised debt union though.

its a bit like our hold on scotland - 'we wants ur freedom' - 'well I am sorry old chap but there's the simple matter of the bills - let me see 200bn for the Darian Bailout, 400bn in national debt and we need to talk about the 6m scots south of the border and where you intend to put them'

with the ECB holding 11 trillion of european debts - they can seal everyone in for ever like the US states, most of whom could never afford their share of the debts.

Last edited:
He's going to have to do a lot of whipping. Nobody likes the idea of paying for the financial irresponsibility of others. I also believe that elections are due in the Netherlands, that means that Mark Rutte is going to have to sell the decision to the voters and they are going to have to buy it if he wants to remain in office.
I read in one of the papers today that Rutte is angling for the NATO Secretary Generals job when it becomes vacant in 2022.

Meanwhile the summit looks like it is going to fail, at least Merkel says that she thinks that is quite possible. The whole thing has turned into a Teddy chucking Fest. Viktor Orban is far from happy with Mark Rutte, Macron has threatened to walk out and the rest have agreed to disagree.
I bet you Brexiteers regret having left this happy family.

Meanwhile the summit looks like it is going to fail, at least Merkel says that she thinks that is quite possible. The whole thing has turned into a Teddy chucking Fest. Viktor Orban is far from happy with Mark Rutte, Macron has threatened to walk out and the rest have agreed to disagree.
... he certainly seemed to be throwing his Teddy , or more correctly his " ours en peluche " , out of the pram ... courtesy of France24

Tempers flared as frustration boiled over after a full weekend of haggling, with French President Emmanuel Macron upbraiding the Dutch and Austrian leaders for their intransigence and threatening a walkout.
The French leader banged the table and accused Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte of behaving like former British premier David Cameron - who took a hard line at EU summits but ended up leading his country into a referendum to quit the bloc, and losing his job.
Macron, who was pushing for grants to stay at 400 billion, said he would rather walk away than make a bad deal.

... full article linky ... EU leaders deadlocked in talks over Covid-19 recovery plan

Last edited:
... he certainly seemed to be throwing his Teddy , or more correctly his " ours en peluche " , out of the pram ... courtesy of France24

... full article linky ...https://www.france24.com/en/20200720-angry-eu-leaders-struggle-to-save-deadlocked-covid-19-recovery-summit
This is the institution that the Brotherton Bullshitter admires so much... :roll:

You can tell they’re missing us.
If the UK was still in, we could have sent Nigel Owens over to the middle of the talks.
With a well-placed ‘FFS!’ here, and an emphatic ‘Don’t be such an idiot, boy bach’ there, they would all have given in, said ‘Yes, Sir’, and got on with it.

philc

LE
Its some very large sums of money that when dished out will disappear in to a haze of double accounting and bottomless projects lasting decades. EU money has a habit of doing that. €1.82 trillion is the figure in total, on top of all the bad debt, failing banks and god knows what other surprises.

Still want to be part of this, no thanks. The timing is more than fortuitous.

Anger flared and emotions ran high Sunday after EU leaders struggled through a third day of negotiations over plans for a landmark €1.82 trillion budget-and-recovery package.

In one of the more electric moments, French President Emmanuel Macron lashed out at Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, who had walked out of the leaders' gathering to take a phone call.

“You see? He doesn’t care. He doesn’t listen to others, has a bad attitude," Macron said, deriding Kurz, who is part of a self-described frugal faction that has pushed to shrink the overall size of the budget plan and reduce the amount of grants to be given to countries to help them recover from the coronavirus crisis. "He handles his press and basta!" Macron said.

Latest Threads