What now for the EU ?

[DRIFT] Copied across from the offshore-patrol-vessels thread . . . .

+ + + + + + + + + +

Published by: RN/MoD, on 22 June 2020.

HMS Pursuer and Dasher prepare for Rock mission.

There are two new, temporary guardians of the Rock: P2000s HMS Pursuer and HMS Dasher.

Over the coming weeks the patrol craft will take over from Her Majesty’s Ships Scimitar and Sabre which have been the mainstay of the Royal Navy Gibraltar Squadron for the past 17 years.

1593029899852.png

Scimitar and Sabre are being replaced after nearly 30 years’ service – they spent a decade in Northern Ireland before being transferred to Gibraltar in 2003 – under the wide-ranging programme to upgrade the RN’s small boat flotilla, which has already seen HMS Magpie and new work boats at HMS Raleigh delivered.

Dasher
and Pursuer are considerably larger and more complex vessels to maintain and operate than Sabre or Scimitar, so the latters’ crew can get used to the new craft (among the differences, there are cabins, mess, galley and bunks on the P2000s as well as a rarely-used enclosed bridge).

1593029865409.png

[/DRIFT]

syrup

LE
I'm sure one of the experts could probably expand on this but its not just fishing around the UK thats at stake.
I read a piece on how the Spanish like to fish of the Falklands for a delicacy they eat.
Which is one if the reasons the Argentinians are so busy trying to get the E.U. on their side.
The Spanish fleet won't be able to operate off Gibraltar either which is why they are so keen to get that back also.
It's a lot more than simply the French chugging over for a days fishing
There's hundreds of millions of pounds worth of fishing rights involved

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought the idea was a grid system. No fishing in every other square of the grid. This means that overflow from that area fills up the others?

Of course, you'd need to be watching like a hawk for the inevitable fisherman who does fish in there to get a bumper crop.
it needs a monitored system so fishing can be stopped instantly if an area is in trouble.

one safe area though will feed to two or three recovering ones.

we definitely need to patrol and implement sanctions with a heavy hand. I'd even say a few cutting out expeditions on new years eve are in order to rainbow warrior half the french fleet

UK waters have no place for boats fishing under CFP rules.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure one of the experts could probably expand on this but its not just fishing around the UK thats at stake.
I read a piece on how the Spanish like to fish of the Falklands for a delicacy they eat.
Which is one if the reasons the Argentinians are so busy trying to get the E.U. on their side.
The Spanish fleet won't be able to operate off Gibraltar either which is why they are so keen to get that back also.
It's a lot more than simply the French chugging over for a days fishing
There's hundreds of millions of pounds worth of fishing rights involved
there's a hideous amount of fish taken very cheaply from the falkland waters.

the islanders get what they need out of it but I wonder how well the stocks are monitored.

philc

LE
Realisation for the Guardian and a harsh lesson for Italy.

It was a moment of chilling clarity. On 26 February, with the numbers of Italians known to be infected by coronavirus tripling every 48 hours, the country’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, appealed to fellow EU member states for help.

His hospitals were overwhelmed. Italian doctors and nurses had run out of the masks, gloves and aprons they needed to keep themselves safe, and medics were being forced to play God with the lives of the critically-ill due to an acute lack of ventilators.

An urgent message was passed from Rome to the European commission’s Berlaymont headquarters in Brussels. The specifications of Italy’s needs were uploaded into the EU’s Common Emergency Communication and Information System (CECIS).

But what happened next came as a shock. The distress call was met with silence.

Dr Death

War Hero
Macron & Merkle to be sacked.
Spain & Greece vote to leave.
German Far Right take the country out of EU to stop immigration issue.
France vows that the EU still strong.
Australia now in Eurovison Song Contest apply to join the EU.
Scotland leaves the Union & Ms Sturgeon sent to jail for bankrupting Scotland in 2yrs.
Yorkshire applies to become an Independent State within the EU.
Boris leaves the UK & 10 years later is POTUS.
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party gain power in the UK.

And I decide I should really do more work but arrse more fun!

In another kick in the swingers for the EU

Europe’s second-highest court on Wednesday rejected an EU order for Apple (AAPL.O) to pay 13 billion euros ($15 billion) in Irish back taxes, dealing a blow to the bloc’s attempts to crack down on sweetheart tax deals.

With various other cases ongoing that will now probably be kicked out, the EU only has one move left.

Compulsory alignment of business tax across the block.

Good luck with that.

Edited for accuracy.

MB the Yorkshireman.

Fook knows how we would pay for anything though, not as if we have any industries left up here! Doesn't seem to bother Wee Jimmy though.

It was a moment of chilling clarity. On 26 February, with the numbers of Italians known to be infected by coronavirus tripling every 48 hours, the country’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, appealed to fellow EU member states for help.

His hospitals were overwhelmed. Italian doctors and nurses had run out of the masks, gloves and aprons they needed to keep themselves safe, and medics were being forced to play God with the lives of the critically-ill due to an acute lack of ventilators.

An urgent message was passed from Rome to the European commission’s Berlaymont headquarters in Brussels. The specifications of Italy’s needs were uploaded into the EU’s Common Emergency Communication and Information System (CECIS).

Better together.

There's a German E-boat being restored somewhere in the UK. Might be worth reverse engineering her and building a few more with suitable upgrades for the UK fisheries protection fleet.

I think losing the torpedo tubes but fitting some serious cable cutting capability, as well as the ability to lob a hundred yards of steel net across the bow of miscreants in a fast pass should do the trick, along with a few other tweaks. Main thing is to retain the speed.

Nobble the interlopers and whistle up a tug or two for towing to British ports. Crew get the option to go along and spend a few weeks in chokey while they get tried and convicted, or leave in lifeboats and find their own way home.

Chef

LE

This bit is nice;

'It is a story of well-meaning officials in Brussels speaking in urgent tones of an impending disaster to empty press conference rooms.'

The rest of the article seems to be a set of excuses for why the EU failed to do anything significant while member states acted independently in their own interests (Quelle surpris).

It could've been the EU's finest hour, a chance to show what the super state was capable of under pressure in an emergency.

Come to think of it, it did.

With various other cases ongoing that will now probably be kicked out, the EU only has one move left.

Good luck with that.
And with the speed of a 1000 Gazelles

The European Commission on Wednesday unveiled plans to clamp down on aggressive corporate tax planning regimes that distort the level playing field of the EU’s single market, a move it said would aid Europe’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.

In another kick in the swingers for the EU

Good luck with that.
The Irish Government may well be relieved by the Apple ruling .

On the harmonisation of business tax across the block ... I am sure I read but a few days ago a move to implement such a change using EU regulation which requires only a " qualified majority " ? vote ... or some such like shenanigans ... regret cannot remember where I saw it reported ... now do **.

ETA I think our Posts crossed .... point emphasised and the ** article was in the Reuters link in your Post ... detail ...

Previous plans to change EU tax rules have been thwarted by member states’ power of veto, which allow a single country to block tax reforms.
But the Commission said it is exploring options to sidestep the veto system, possibly by using an article in the EU constitutional treaty which allows tax decisions to be taken by majority if competition is distorted.

Last edited:

On the harmonisation of business tax across the block ... I am sure I read but a few days ago a move to implement such a change using EU regulation which requires only a " qualified majority " ? vote ... or some such like shenanigans ... regret cannot remember where I saw it reported .

ETA I think our Posts crossed .... point emphasised .
After the shenanigans last week, the Spanish will definitely not be supporting the Irish.

Macron & Merkle to be sacked.
Spain & Greece vote to leave.
German Far Right take the country out of EU to stop immigration issue.
France vows that the EU still strong.
Australia now in Eurovison Song Contest apply to join the EU.
Scotland leaves the Union & Ms Sturgeon sent to jail for bankrupting Scotland in 2yrs.
Boris leaves the UK & 10 years later is POTUS.
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party gain power in the UK.

And I decide I should really do more work but arrse more fun!
You haven't offered us odds yet

philc

LE

On the harmonisation of business tax across the block ... I am sure I read but a few days ago a move to implement such a change using EU regulation which requires only a " qualified majority " ? vote ... or some such like shenanigans ... regret cannot remember where I saw it reported ... now do **.

ETA I think our Posts crossed .... point emphasised and the ** article was in the Reuters link in your Post ... detail ...
I have posted on this before, memory says a majority of 9 over comes petty countries objections. Poor V rich.

philc

LE
This is the legal wibble.

E790E3E1-5CF7-4F22-8F5A-1EFD4D059BD4.png

I think we will see the passerelle clauses come into play pretty soon under Article 48 TFEU as in here.

Let's then see what the frugals make of this when they are told it is their dosh being sent elsewhere without the say so of their taxpayers and voters.
Not looking good for solidarity at present.

Latest Threads