What now for the EU ?

A bit like the punchline of the old joke, BL certainly doesn't come here for the fishing...
Is anybody sure why he does come here?

Possibly a masochistic tendency???

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Are you trying to pretend that you are now a Brexiteer and all your remainer posts (in the last few YEARS), were just a joke.....hahaha, yep sure they were oh salty one!
I'm not pretending to be anyone.

A bit like the punchline of the old joke, BL certainly doesn't come here for the fishing...
I can see it now "Wait and see - Fly fishing by BL"

The clever ruse is exposed.
Bit of a shame really, it is but a very sad end to an er...very sad ruse.

I can see it now "Wait and see - Fly fishing by BL"

“You do? Oh, that’s wonderful! Eh, er, can you keep it for me? ...My name? Oh, yes, it’s…

No, it’s gone again. Who are you?

The nurses are stealing my clothes, you know.

Hello? Hello!”

*dial tone*

Tyk

LE
I'm not pretending to be anyone.
You're certainly not pretending to be a person of any integrity.

Long running wind up my arse, you've been wrong time and again, proven to be wrong and now are trying one of the feeblest (and very old) internet squirms of claiming it was a "joke". Any remaining shred of credibility you once had is as gone as that fake Irishman's.
You've come out as a bullshit artist and a talentless one at that.
What's the term for a complete lack of intestinal fortitude in the face of the enemy? Oh yes, cowardice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 72187

Did they FCUK the west went out of its way to wreck the post soviet economies then cream all the goodies out of them. Huge chunks of the west were very upset at losing their bogey man. The former soviet union was best left alone to improve itself without western interference like a giant visegrad group.

the CIA 'borrowed' 400 odd billion for that very purpose. the repayment period for that loan happened to come up on september the 11th 2001 - make of that what you will.

The west put a drunk in power then watched it implode - very sensible. You can deal with a tyrant and the west loves dictatorships because they are so cheap to deal with. Anarchy suits nobody.

The West reneged on its promised to leave the buffer states alone - so NATO and the EU moved east poking all the way for a response. They are desperate for Russia to be a threat to justify their existence. NATO should have been scrapped along with the warsaw pact if they really wanted peace with Russia.

I did think the UK upon leaving the EU would do well to consider joining the BRICS as a mediating influence as well as for it's trade potential. I haven't looked at this for a while though but it's Time to stop being everyones poodle and go back to being a global influencer we earned our seat on the security council after all. Britain does after all have a long historical connection to the place.

Russia has everything it needs to thrive but true democracy is a somewhat alien concept to them still, mainly due to the geography of the place. I see Putin more as a Vetinarii character than a Voldemort.

That said - they look at US democracy and think how is that any better when the one who wins is the one with the most money and the most favours to repay.
Did I stumble into a Sputnik opinion piece by mistake?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Did I stumble into a Sputnik opinion piece by mistake?
nope just a genuine observation from outside the official line toeing most seem to do when they are too lazy to look about at what is going on.

probably the same ones who think hilary would have been a good choice and Kahn is lovely

lecky

War Hero
I know it's the Express but this got me wondering which side is going to be the first to walk away blaming the intransigence of the other side?
“With Britain, we have agreed to speed up these negotiations to be able to agree on a deal in autumn, which would then also need to be terrified by the end of the year.”
Mix up with the "T's" and "V's".... or has Merkel just made a Freudian slip?

Indeed, would you care to have a guess at who pulls the plug first!
I was going to go back with an edit and have a punt, but I don't think either side will walk as such, but I do think that the rhetoric and threats of flouncing will reach a new intensity.

Best thing is to ask BL.

That way we can be sure that it will be the opposite that comes to pass.
Many posts ago I commented on a politician who had been involved in the preliminary negotiations. I think it was David Davis. He was interviewed on Radio 5, I think sometime not long after the referendum result. In that interview he stated that in all previous negotiations with the EU, they (the negotiations) had gone down to the wire, in some cases to the very last minute. He said that he would not be surprised if that was the case in the Brexit deal.
I can't find the post for the moment (bearing in mind it's a few years ago now) but I think I opined that we and the EU would dance around the main issues and then reach some sort of compromise at the very last minute.
Obviously things have changed considerably since 2016, but I am still not entirely convinced that some sort of deal will not be cobbled together at the last minute.
I'm not saying we won't leave, just that the terms may not be entirely one sided.

edited to add....sorry it's the Express.
“Remember at the beginning of this process back in 2016 I said it won’t be the first three years that matter, it will be the last three weeks, three days, three hours, three minutes, three seconds.”

Last edited:
Last sentence bang on, which is why I prefer the WTO option. It gives the flexibility which would be hamstrung by any deal we do with the EU. That in essence is a return to EFTA . It misses the point that the EU is only the intermediary for EUropean countries, the deals are between states . . .
. . . . Also for some of the countries that are in - like Italy, Greece, Netherlands and France, I imagine that they will follow suit in the future when they see that leaving will be better for them.

In fact I imagine in the Future - we can start our own trading Block, and invite them to join, this time without the bullshit and bureaucracy and corruption that blights the EU.
Pretty certain I have never missed an opportunity to re-post . . . .
It is to be hoped that someone within the UK BREXIT team, is pencilling-in the idea of a purely economic, simply-for-trade, "Northern Economic Community" (NEC).

The UK has always worked well with the three Scandinavian countries, to which should be included Finland - now that it has found (been allowed to find) its "own voice".

The "Visegrad Four", will be as disillusioned as anyone, finding themselves part of "The EuroSSR". Not quite, what they expected after their escape from their enforced influence of, and domination by, the Soviet’s “SSSR”

Should they wish to, on the grounds of practical, defence viability, the three Baltic States would add/complete, a geographical, coherent, whole, virtually surrounding the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

With the remaining southern states/north Mediterranean countries; and, the three BeNeLux countries; then faced with the only alternative of the Franco-German axis, it would be interesting to speculate to which group they would all gravitate.

We ALL stay within NATO . . . obviously!
The above was (eventually) sent to Westminster, and has produced the following response . . .

NEC 1 from Gove.jpg

NEC 2 from Gove.jpg

I suppose that there are "delicate" political reasons, why the suggestion was NOT (openly) accepted . . . that the UK become the standard-bearer for those others wishing to leave the EU ;) !!

I am however, satisfied that the details contained in the above suggestion (quoted above), has actually passed over the desks of - at least - a couple of Cabinet members, and that the "seed-of-an-idea" has been planted, for the "Northern Economic Community" (NEC) . . . ;) .

Last edited:
Did they FCUK the west went out of its way to wreck the post soviet economies then cream all the goodies out of them. Huge chunks of the west were very upset at losing their bogey man. The former soviet union was best left alone to improve itself without western interference like a giant visegrad group.

the CIA 'borrowed' 400 odd billion for that very purpose. the repayment period for that loan happened to come up on september the 11th 2001 - make of that what you will.

The west put a drunk in power then watched it implode - very sensible. You can deal with a tyrant and the west loves dictatorships because they are so cheap to deal with. Anarchy suits nobody.

The West reneged on its promised to leave the buffer states alone - so NATO and the EU moved east poking all the way for a response. They are desperate for Russia to be a threat to justify their existence. NATO should have been scrapped along with the warsaw pact if they really wanted peace with Russia.

I did think the UK upon leaving the EU would do well to consider joining the BRICS as a mediating influence as well as for it's trade potential. I haven't looked at this for a while though but it's Time to stop being everyones poodle and go back to being a global influencer we earned our seat on the security council after all. Britain does after all have a long historical connection to the place.

Russia has everything it needs to thrive but true democracy is a somewhat alien concept to them still, mainly due to the geography of the place. I see Putin more as a Vetinarii character than a Voldemort.

That said - they look at US democracy and think how is that any better when the one who wins is the one with the most money and the most favours to repay.
The west didn’t renege on the buffer states when the USSR folded. There was a little thing called Comecon. It found itself at a lose end. As states clamoured for access including the new Russia, they also wanted military protection as the Warsaw Pact was screwed. Now who did they want protection from? I wonder.... nice little ruse that but fundamentally, Russia was paid money by the west to bugger off out, which it took. A connection was made at the time that the fact that ex Warsaw Pact countries transferring to NATO could be construed as provocative , but it was not required for joining the EU as it became.
This means that originally their joining NATO was seen as a Brucie bonus as they were not them anymore And that was the peace dividend, plus defence contracts.

Pretty certain I have never missed an opportunity to re-post . . . .

The above was (eventually) sent to Westminster, and has produced the following response . . .

View attachment 486460
View attachment 486461

I suppose that there are "delicate" political reasons, why the suggestion was NOT (openly) accepted . . . that the UK become the standard-bearer for those others wishing to leave the EU ;) !!

I am however, satisfied that the details contained in the above suggestion (quoted above), has actually passed over the desks of - at least - a couple of Cabinet members, and that the "seed-of-an-idea" has been planted, for the "Northern Economic Community" (NEC) . . . ;) .
Of course the delicate issue is that there is only one way of doing things , followed by the fact that article 50 as made by Kerr was that we should never leave. The other One was the founding fathers Made a complete hash of the implementation when was set up. Now, if one accepts that a push comes to shove formation would never work, then the mistake couldn’t be avoided.
But here I‘m going to hypothesise. Supposing between 1945 and 1948 Germany and France were to cease to exist and a new formative Europe were to be created. Blank piece of paper. In this you also have to be brutal. Notwithstanding Allied help Denmark, Sweden, Holland Italy were all losers.

Last edited:
“With Britain, we have agreed to speed up these negotiations to be able to agree on a deal in autumn, which would then also need to be terrified by the end of the year.”
Mix up with the "T's" and "V's".... or has Merkel just made a Freudian slip?
Yes, of course she did. It had bog all to do with those nice proof readers at the Express being furloughed, would it?
Keep taking the tablets.

Latest Threads