What? no more Win 10 phones?

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
If I remember correctly, it is not the original NOKIA (still owned by Microsoft), but a "new venture", licencing the NOKIA name.
Well, sort of yes and no; the phones are manufactured by an outfit called HMD Global who now own the Nokia mobile phone brand and patents. So it's not the original Nokia but it is based in Espoo in Finland and is headquartered in the building next to the Nokia head office. I think HMS are a subsidiary of Nokia or Nokia owns a substantial percentage of HMD.

Nokia / HMD bought back the rights to make Nokia phones from Microsoft along with a ton of patents. I don't think Microsoft have anything to do with Nokia any more.

But yes, £600 for the N8 is a bit steep...

Well, sort of yes and no; the phones are manufactured by an outfit called HMD Global who now own the Nokia mobile phone brand and patents. So it's not the original Nokia but it is based in Espoo in Finland and is headquartered in the building next to the Nokia head office. I think HMS are a subsidiary of Nokia or Nokia owns a substantial percentage of HMD.

Nokia / HMD bought back the rights to make Nokia phones from Microsoft along with a ton of patents. I don't think Microsoft have anything to do with Nokia any more.

But yes, £600 for the N8 is a bit steep...
Interesting, I`d rather my money benefited Finland than China or the likes but I guess you can never be sure where your money goes.

The parent companies subsidiaries of Nokia still make other products such as welly boots and IT hardware. Symbian (derived from Psion's EPOC) and Memo operating systems are effectively dead however and it seems nobody has the IP to resume their development. Week long battery life and a good signal when other phones failed to connect. SMS is far easier on Android or phones with a proper keyboard.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
As I said earlier, I'm planning new phones for Ms W21A and me for Xmas. Any recommendations in the £150 area?

endure

GCM
Xiaomi - known as China's Apple. Just opened a shop in the UK and are supplying phones through Three, Amazon, Argos etc.

I've got a MI A2 lite which is excellent - £180 direct from Xiaomi. Monster battery. It's running Android One Oreo 8 so is pretty much guaranteed the next two Android upgrades.

MI A2 lite link

They also do the Redmi 6 at £150 which I think runs their own version of Android.

Redmi 6 link/

Last edited:

Latest Threads