• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What Next?

#1
I am now thinking of writing my next help topic and rather than guessing what I think you would like to find out more information about......I thought it would make more sense to just ask you.

So what area of Law would you like more information on?

Do you have a legal query that you would like some general advice on?

Let me know and I will do my best to accomodate all the (sensible) replies!

Solicitor
Ex 289 Cdo Bty R.A. (v)
 
#2
I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.
 
#3
Gren said:
I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.
I would ease off on the shandies if I were you pal regarding issues of quantum and liability!

As for the mental payouts for mickey mouse injuries compared to what happens in the Military, I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately lawyers dont make the rules, the politicians do.
 

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
A thread on employment rights and disciplinary procedures in civillian life after leaving the mob would be very useful.

I have seen a few ex services people who assume that they will be looked after by an employer and end up as the scapegoat as they stand out from the crowd for better or worse and admit to a cockup.
 
#5
JudgeDredd said:
Gren said:
I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.
I would ease off on the shandies if I were you pal regarding issues of quantum and liability!

As for the mental payouts for mickey mouse injuries compared to what happens in the Military, I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately lawyers dont make the rules, the politicians do.

Ease off on the shandies? Im only quoting something I was told the other night, hence why I wondered about it.
I was told one form of payout was lawyer based and the other political based.
And mainly because I have never heard of it, sorry, but I thought you were offering advice on legal matters?
 
#6
Gren said:
I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.
I, too, am finding it "hard to understand your banter"

Do you mean ridiculous settlements agreed by mickey mouse outfits who stop people on the street asking questions like "have you had an accident in the last three years?" as compared with real payouts as one would achieve using a proper high street solicitor and the court process?
 
#7
Sorry I thought you were jesting with me!!

I am away from my office now until monday and I will try to explain some of the terminolgy when I get back.

Oops!
 
#8
schweik said:
Gren said:
I, too, am finding it "hard to understand your banter"

Do you mean ridiculous settlements agreed by mickey mouse outfits who stop people on the street asking questions like "have you had an accident in the last three years?" as compared with real payouts as one would achieve using a proper high street solicitor and the court process?
It is illegal for a Solicitor to "ambulance chase", or to approach an unsolicited individuals to provide them with any legal services whatsoever. I have never heard of Solicitors stopping ppl on the street ever.

I get the feeling that the so called "lawyers" who may stop pppl on the street may be claims management company staff who then "sell" that potential lead to solicitors who do "no win no fee cases".

Do you have any experience of that happening to you? What did they ask you etc?

Solicitor
Ex 289 Cdo Bty RA (v)
 
#9
schweik said:
Gren said:
I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.
I, too, am finding it "hard to understand your banter"

Do you mean ridiculous settlements agreed by mickey mouse outfits who stop people on the street asking questions like "have you had an accident in the last three years?" as compared with real payouts as one would achieve using a proper high street solicitor and the court process?
No mate, the differences in the payouts to soldiers injuried in operations, ie Afghan/Iraq, and the payouts to people who get megabucks for hurt feelings.
Im in the process of something to get the powers that be to justify the difference and change the stupid laws that allow for £450000 for RSI to a thumb, and only £161000 for loss of limbs.

Does that make more sense now?
 
#10
Gren said:
schweik said:
Gren said:
No mate, the differences in the payouts to soldiers injuried in operations, ie Afghan/Iraq, and the payouts to people who get megabucks for hurt feelings.
Im in the process of something to get the powers that be to justify the difference and change the stupid laws that allow for £450000 for RSI to a thumb, and only £161000 for loss of limbs.

Does that make more sense now?
I could not agree with you more!

Believe it or not Solicitors get really down and pissed off the way things are too ....and we have to sometimes peddle that s**t. That's why my company does not do Personal Injury work.

Good luck with taking "them" on. Unless you do take them on, nothing will change. If I have time and can help, let me know.

Solicitor
Ex 289 Cdo Bty RA(v)
 
#11
maninblack said:
A thread on employment rights and disciplinary procedures in civillian life after leaving the mob would be very useful.

I have seen a few ex services people who assume that they will be looked after by an employer and end up as the scapegoat as they stand out from the crowd for better or worse and admit to a cockup.
Great Idea! I will add it to my list and get it out soon as.

Solicitor
Ex 289 Cdo Bty RA (v)
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#12
JudgeDredd said:
Sorry I thought you were jesting with me!!

I am away from my office now until monday and I will try to explain some of the terminolgy when I get back.

Oops!
Can you give us an indication of your area(s) of speciality.
 
#15
I'd like to know about the laws concerning carrying a knife in public.

If I carry my gerber multi-tool in my daysack, is that illegal? If i have no reason to carry it other than it's a useful tool that I sometimes need?

Or if I'm on my way to my local TA Center for a weekends Excercise and I have a lock knife in my smock, if found could I be arrested for possestion?

The reason I ask is I keep seeing tougher knife laws in the press and that you can be jailed for carrying one in a public place. Is that if the blade is over a certain length? Or if its a fixed blade?

Answers appreciated!

W-60
 
#16
Carrying Knives in Public
The CJA 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, Section 139 being the most important.

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

The phrase "good reason" is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).

In this case, public place is meant as anywhere accessible to the public, so for example a private campsite, which members of the public must book to use, is a public place. Also, knives should only be carried to and from and used at the location where they are needed. For example, leaving a knife in a car for use when you go fishing would be illegal. It should be taken back into the house each time you use the car (other than to go fishing). [1]

The special exception which exists in the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139) for folding knives (pocket knives) is another "common sense" measure accepting that some small knives are carried for general utility however even a folding pocket knife of less than 3" (76mm) may still be considered an offensive weapon if carried or used for that purpose. It was a long held common belief that a folding knife must be non-locking for this provision to apply.

A Crown Court case (Harris v DPP), ruled (case law). A lock knife for all legal purposes, is the same as a fixed blade knife. A folding pocket knife must be readily foldable at all times. If it has a mechanism that prevents folding, it's a lock knife (or for legal purposes, a fixed blade) The Court of Appeal (REGINA - v - DESMOND GARCIA DEEGAN 1998) upheld the Harris ruling stating that "folding was held to mean non-locking". No leave to appeal was granted.

also

BASC advice
 

Ventress

LE
Moderator
#19
The Police have been given guidance from the powers that be in the Ivory Towers and anyone carrying a knife that may have an innocent reason to be carried will still be robustly dealt with-i.e. arrested. On the Railway they are carrying out knife arch ops all over London and the SE, any knife detected will have the "villian" swifted to the nearest nick.
 
#20
Carry a Leatherman.

Never got arrested for such but had a discussion with OB during a CCTV op they were on where I was Tech support.

As the op was very dull, we got round to talking about carried weapons, house weapons etc and it was finally decided that a Leatherman is a utility tool that happens to have a utility knife.

I would imagine that it would be hard to convict for a Leatherman seen as it has 20 squilllion uses and the worst weapon on there (I know because of being attacked by one by a mate) is the pliers. They can be both stabby and pinchy (especially on the nipples).

Not a lock knife, not a concealed weapon (it's a tool) and, for someone like me that is theoretically on 24 hour call, a lifesaving toolbox in a holder.
 

Latest Threads