What Next?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by JudgeDredd, Oct 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am now thinking of writing my next help topic and rather than guessing what I think you would like to find out more information about......I thought it would make more sense to just ask you.

So what area of Law would you like more information on?

Do you have a legal query that you would like some general advice on?

Let me know and I will do my best to accomodate all the (sensible) replies!

Solicitor
    Ex 289 Cdo Bty R.A. (v)

2. I would like to know about,

Quantam damages and acturials. if thats right anyway.

I need to know a bit more about them before I continue with my dig/campaign against the rediculous damages payouts compared to real injury payouts.

3. I would ease off on the shandies if I were you pal regarding issues of quantum and liability!

As for the mental payouts for mickey mouse injuries compared to what happens in the Military, I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately lawyers dont make the rules, the politicians do.

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

A thread on employment rights and disciplinary procedures in civillian life after leaving the mob would be very useful.

I have seen a few ex services people who assume that they will be looked after by an employer and end up as the scapegoat as they stand out from the crowd for better or worse and admit to a cockup.

5. Ease off on the shandies? Im only quoting something I was told the other night, hence why I wondered about it.
    I was told one form of payout was lawyer based and the other political based.
    And mainly because I have never heard of it, sorry, but I thought you were offering advice on legal matters?

6. I, too, am finding it "hard to understand your banter"

Do you mean ridiculous settlements agreed by mickey mouse outfits who stop people on the street asking questions like "have you had an accident in the last three years?" as compared with real payouts as one would achieve using a proper high street solicitor and the court process?

7. Sorry I thought you were jesting with me!!

I am away from my office now until monday and I will try to explain some of the terminolgy when I get back.

Oops!

9. No mate, the differences in the payouts to soldiers injuried in operations, ie Afghan/Iraq, and the payouts to people who get megabucks for hurt feelings.
    Im in the process of something to get the powers that be to justify the difference and change the stupid laws that allow for £450000 for RSI to a thumb, and only £161000 for loss of limbs.

Does that make more sense now?

11. Great Idea! I will add it to my list and get it out soon as.

Solicitor
    Ex 289 Cdo Bty RA (v)

12. Can you give us an indication of your area(s) of speciality.

13. I wouldn't know a TUPE Reg if I met one in the street.

ACAS might.

0845 74 74 74 4

or see website

14. Id like to know who has the best biscuits in the City - Herbert Smith, Ashurst, Slaughter & May or Berwin Leighton Paisner?

15. I'd like to know about the laws concerning carrying a knife in public.

If I carry my gerber multi-tool in my daysack, is that illegal? If i have no reason to carry it other than it's a useful tool that I sometimes need?

Or if I'm on my way to my local TA Center for a weekends Excercise and I have a lock knife in my smock, if found could I be arrested for possestion?

The reason I ask is I keep seeing tougher knife laws in the press and that you can be jailed for carrying one in a public place. Is that if the blade is over a certain length? Or if its a fixed blade?

Answers appreciated!

W-60