What new Digital Compact camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by happybonzo, Feb 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is a good digital compact camera to replace a venerable N ikon 4300? I've no complaints about the picture quality but there are faults showing on the LCD display that don't even appear on the N ikon forums.
    The shutter delay on the 4300 is very bad; press the release and ho-hum it takes the picture when it feels like it.
    My film cameras, N ikon F3 and Yashica Electro 35, and the shutter release is almost instantaneous.
    So is there now a digital compact with a decent shutter apart from the Leica offerings?

2. I had a Fuji that gave me no end of trouble - discharged batteries when switched off and the lens only came out when it felt like it and it finally gave up the ghost over Christmas. Tescos had a Samsung on offer just before the VAT went up (bizarrely, it's even cheaper now!) at half the price I paid for the Fuji. It's so easy to use even Madame mnairb can use it and on a recent trip to Venice became the official photographer (because everyone knows she takes better pictures, anyway). Small, compact and rugged and we are delighted with it (and no, I don't work for Samsung!).

3. Nikon s8000 should be right. Look at camera box's price, Jessops are likely to price match.