Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What must fall to make us forget slavery?

No not everybody.
Only those with limited dialogue skills.

ETA : I forgot 'Intellectual Laziness'.

I consider that to be nonsense.
There are many occasions when somebody has posted something I have feelings about and merely wish to use an icon rather than getting involved with a person whose only pride is in always having the last text where others are concerned. Hence I can sometimes use an icon to indicate what I feel about that particular argument/comment/phrase/text.

I consider that to be nonsense.
There are many occasions when somebody has posted something I have feelings about and merely wish to use an icon rather than getting involved with a person whose only pride is in always having the last text where others are concerned. Hence I can sometimes use an icon to indicate what I feel about that particular argument/comment/phrase/text.

Your choice,
I prefer normal conversational skills not some internet aberration.

Yeah right.
I'll stick with my original definition thanks.
My reasoning is simple, you wouldn't utter 'Dislike', Disagree' or 'Dumb' during the course of a normal conversation because you would look like a pillock and come over as quite clearly thick or having something wrong with you.
Of course I tend not to use them myself because I prefer the effort of conversation, you can learn stuff using that method.
Sometimes you just know that you are going to gain nothing from an exchange with someone who displays a certain level of ignorance. In real life, I have walked away from people, shaking my head, and telling them to not be so stupid.

Sometimes you just know that you are going to gain nothing from an exchange with someone who displays a certain level of ignorance. In real life, I have walked away from people, shaking my head, and telling them to not be so stupid.

I am inclined to agree Joe but in my case I just walk away and do nothing.
I tend to think that silence is more damning than mong buttons.

Don't get me started on jargon, people who post using abbreviations and slang that mean nothing to those not in the know.
I can only suppose none of them did the Education Promotion Certificate (EPC) course at either basic or advanced level.
I was originally warned off jargon in the first classroom session of week one in juniors.

It was actually something very specific, as FF has alluded to. Percentages in a poll are unlikely to be exact, so will have to be rounded. Sometimes the sum of the rounded figures equals 100, sometimes it doesn't. Provided the rounding is done consistently, then there should be no problem.
Whatever. I just think if you round one set perfectly then both should be done that way. Or just go to one decimal point for it all. I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a little suspicious of some of these things especially given the misdirection being done with that particular chart. Some of the statistics being thrown around in this little issue even Gordon Brown wouldn’t have used in a Budget Statement and he had no shame at all.

Whatever. I just think if you round one set perfectly then both should be done that way. Or just go to one decimal point for it all. I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a little suspicious of some of these things especially given the misdirection being done with that particular chart. Some of the statistics being thrown around in this little issue even Gordon Brown wouldn’t have used in a Budget Statement and he had no shame at all.
Ebbe Skovdahl said:
Statistics are like mini-skirts - they give you good ideas but hide the important things.

I love thread drift. You couldn't make this up as a n anti-slavery ship name.

The third HMS Black Joke was probably built in Baltimore in 1824, becoming the Brazilian slave ship Henriquetta. The Royal Navy captured her in September 1827 and purchased her into the service. The Navy re-named her Black Joke, after an English song of the same name, and assigned her to the West African Squadron (or Preventive Squadron). Her role was to chase down slave ships, and over her five-year career she freed many hundreds of slaves. The Navy deliberately burnt her in May 1832 because her timbers had rotted to the point that she was no longer fit for active service.

I love thread drift. You couldn't make this up as a n anti-slavery ship name.

The third HMS Black Joke was probably built in Baltimore in 1824, becoming the Brazilian slave ship Henriquetta. The Royal Navy captured her in September 1827 and purchased her into the service. The Navy re-named her Black Joke, after an English song of the same name, and assigned her to the West African Squadron (or Preventive Squadron). Her role was to chase down slave ships, and over her five-year career she freed many hundreds of slaves. The Navy deliberately burnt her in May 1832 because her timbers had rotted to the point that she was no longer fit for active service.

Congratulations on being at least the 3rd poster to bring this ship to the attention of the thread