What must fall to make us forget slavery?

1623169142349.png

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I say again when the toffs were buying slaves my family were living in a hedge ! we cant forget that either.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
There is (or should be) a firm rule never to take on Oxbridge type tutors/fellows etc. due to them having brains like planets and far too much time to think and the contacts to make one weep.

I recently happened to see on a military website an advert for a facilities manager at the appropriate college. It would be a shame to find that the picture was actually a structural necessity, required for the feast of (insert relevant sounding name) or a huge grant would be forfeited that would have to be made up by the little darlings, or that its removal immediately invalidated all Royal (government) loans/grants etc.

Some years ago (20 plus) a military genius tried to get cute regarding a peppercorn rent for OUOTC and declined to listen to the voices in his head that should have been screaming "You are a twat and these people overdose on genius. Believe them." Anyway, the OTC is no longer right in the centre of the City and is quite a distance away. Let's not go down the attempted equivalence of armoured knights on horseback and CR2 (probably 1). Let's just move swiftly on.

Students are by definition immature and twats (and I was one). Idiots will do idiotic things, just like the recipient of a Rhodes scholarship badmouthing Rhodes without understanding the delicious irony and utter twatishness of what passed for his/her/its thought process. A person who could only attend an Oxford College due to the finance of Rhodes. Far more stylish (and believable) to protest against the evilness (and money) before one has accepted the evil money and enjoyed its benefits.

I think it is good that developing minds are taxed and tested by the whole regime of political and other thought. I think that "no-platforming" is the coward's way out, i.e. How do I argue against this? Much easier to ban alternative thought.

Personally, if I am in the position to give such educational largesse to anywhere near as many people, I will insist that I am freeze dried and all recipients of the GH educational fund are required to kneel and kiss the distressingly small and fragile remains of the GH member, and to sign a solemn declaration that if they ever utter even a syllable against me, my beliefs or my MONEY that they benefited from, that they have to pay it all back immediately with interest and penalties for being hypocrites. A small sub-fund would provide for enforcers to ensure that the money is paid back faster than the pull on a 9mm pistol. I want to keep them intellectually honest!

In the end it is just silly students saying silly things without any understanding of what they are doing. After all the lot about 90 years ago had no understanding that Germany took a lot of notice of their "stupid" vote that "This house will not fight for King or Country". So, it is all just a laugh until suddenly it isn't, and the idiots have no idea that they have caused the problem.

Silly, immature idiots.

Ah well,

GH

...like the recipient of a Rhodes scholarship badmouthing Rhodes without understanding the delicious irony and utter twatishness of what passed for his/her/its thought process. A person who could only attend an Oxford College due to the finance of Rhodes. Far more stylish (and believable) to protest against the evilness (and money) before one has accepted the evil money and enjoyed its benefits...

You miss the point entirely. It is their entitlement to benefit from the kindness of others without showing an iota of gratitude or respect. In some cultures, kindness is seen as weakness and is to be ruthlessly exploited.

It's in the nature of the snake to bite the one helping them from the barrel into which they've fallen.

tgo

LE
According to LBC today a large proportion of Tutors at whatever college the Rhodes statue is in are refusing to teach until the statue goes.

Great value for your expensive degree.

Universities worked best when it was the elite who went, now every Tom, Dick & Harry feels the need to go and get some **** degree in something pointless (at great expense) aided by most employers now seemingly requiring a degree to get a job, thereby rendering most of them worthless by volume.

Who benefits?

Well the Unis make vast sums of money, and they get to turn a bigger % of the population into good little lefty Marxists.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
According to LBC today a large proportion of Tutors at whatever college the Rhodes statue is in are refusing to teach until the statue goes.

Great value for your expensive degree.

Universities worked best when it was the elite who went, now every Tom, Dick & Harry feels the need to go and get some **** degree in something pointless (at great expense) aided by most employers now seemingly requiring a degree to get a job, thereby rendering most of them worthless by volume.

Who benefits?

Well the Unis make vast sums of money, and they get to turn a bigger % of the population into good little lefty Marxists.
Heard one of the lecturers on R4 earlier and apparently they're not going to do the discretionary stuff. So who cares? All I could think of when the lecturer (who is a historian!) was chattering away about what the college should do to the statue was "Such a first world problem to be debating!".

A forthcoming BBC documentary produced by the darling of BBC victim politics David Olusoga.

I trust it will be a fair and balanced programme.
Let's get this straight, he wants to tell us that our reaction to the desecration of our history is incorrect.

Fair one.

In that case may I be the first to tell them that their reaction to the reason people are booing a political stance before a football match is incorrect.

Seeing as everybody seems to somehow define other people's innermost thoughts.
If you want to play that game then we all use the same rule book, for equalities sake.

Who benefits?

People keep banging on about this. Universities really dont give a f$@* what their politics are or what they believe, it's ALL about the "vast sums of money".

Latest Threads