What must fall to make us forget slavery?

Chef

LE
What did the other two say?
"Blame your predecessor"

and

"Prepare three envelopes..."
Thank you.

Like all good jokes very close to reality as anyone who's worked in local govt. or ministries will know. There could be a fourth envelope for those:

'Organise team building weekends'.

4(T)

LE

What was acceptable at certain times is not today

IMHO yet more manufactured outrage, based on (wilful?) ignorance.

The examples given in the report and the "academic research" have chosen a "racism" narrative over what was probably an entirely pragmatic approach at the time.

Viz, in one of the quoted examples, someone with detailed and intimate knowledge of local culture - a colonial governor - points out that that culture has no traditional of Christian headstones, monumental masonry, rolls of honour or even individual commemoration.

He suggests that collective memorial is appropriate (i.e. to satisfy the British urge for commemoration, not the local one), and - with absolute prescience - states that local attitudes might change over time ("exposure to civilisation"). Indeed, those cultures became more inculcated with the British Christian martial tradition by the time WW2 rolled around, and a century later "exposure to civilisation" had manifested as large diasporas living in the British urban welfare state.

IMHO the fact that CWGC held meetings and sought cultural guidance over Empire war dead demonstrates cultural empathy - and not racism.

What strikes me - apart from the dreary moral cowardice of modern British institutions - is the complete disconnect between B(AME) race activists and the actual historical and cultural context of the antecedents that they claim heritage from and for whom they now seek revenge.

I was about to post that in a new thread titled everything is raaaaacist, but checked here first.

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is now necessary to reconfigure something that happened nigh-on a century ago, at some level of public expense because a group of professional race industry warriors need appeasing.

This is exactly why the CRED report was needed and exactly why the race industry is trying to discredit it. The prominence given to it, is also indicative of why Auntie Beeb has not yet got the memo about bias.

I was about to post that in a new thread titled everything is raaaaacist, but checked here first.

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is now necessary to reconfigure something that happened nigh-on a century ago, at some level of public expense because a group of professional race industry warriors need appeasing.

This is exactly why the CRED report was needed and exactly why the race industry is trying to discredit it. The prominence given to it, is also indicative of why Auntie Beeb has not yet got the memo about bias.

Is it in fact possible to apologise on behalf of a government which ceased to be 100 years ago and whose members are all dead?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is it in fact possible to apologise on behalf of a government which ceased to be 100 years ago and whose members are all dead?

Comparatively recent when compared to some of the history that apologies are demanded for

Hmmm.

It was not until Nov 1918 that an Act was enabled which allowed women to be elected to Parliament.

It was not until 1928 that an Act was enabled which allowed the voting age for women (21) to be on the same terms as men.

It is quite possible that these Acts benefited some black women.

Somebody care to give David Lammy a call as I'm sure that he'll have a view on the matter? :rolleyes:

I demand an Immediate apology and reparations from the Scottish Government:

9606727694_e4f8e93a56_c.jpg

Hmmm.

It was not until Nov 1918 that an Act was enabled which allowed women to be elected to Parliament.

It was not until 1928 that an Act was enabled which allowed the voting age for women (21) to be on the same terms as men.

This discrepency was a direct result of the war and they wanted the voting numbers to be balanced by gender - whether losses justified the measure i dont know but it was the position as they drew up the bill ( which in fairness was before the war ended)

Insert my usual rant about suffragegettes white feathers and Men not old enough to vote

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
its alright - the minority box was apparently ticked with all the transgender soldiers on the Jacobite side, easily identifiable by their tartan dresses and pretty bonnets

And what about the English and the French Jacobites?

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
On the basis that Britain abolished slavery throughout the British Empire (with specific exemptions e.g. East India Company areas) in the 1830's (and the slave trade itself 26 years prior to that) and enforced the laws they had passed, and the current various self-appointed accusers still hold us (Caucasians) personally responsible for actions that were (or were not) taken by our ancestors approximately ten generations ago, I look forward to the as yet unborn Germans in 6 to 7 generations time ceasing to be held personally responsible for the actions of their ancestors in the 1940's.

At this point, I want to apologize to The French for my personal involvement in the murdering of their ancestors at Waterloo. Whilst I am not aware of any ancestors being present let alone having any effect, I apologize unreservedly for my failure to restrain my ancestors. I would like to lodge a small complaint against The Black Hand for the treatment of some ancestors about 1,500 years ago, and against Italy for their failure to hold cultural understanding meetings before, during or after their legions killed many of my ancestors. Guillaume Le Batarde, J'accuse aussi. (I made a French Master cry, apologies for spelling/grammar/everything).

I wonder with what scorn the people in 10 generations will view the appalling and unacceptable actions and beliefs of the current crop of "little messiahs" as their values and standards will inevitably be different. That far in the future, hopefully they will apply a more rigorous form of research to the "bigotry" of their ancestors and much greater understanding of their non-conforming and ill thought out views.

Of course it is self-evident that the current self-absorbed little darlings are completely correct and are asserting everlasting truths, values and standards. It is a shame that Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao and others held the same unshakeable certainties about the purity of their beliefs.

GH

Latest Threads