What must fall to make us forget slavery?

That was a cut and paste of what I posted!

I was hoping you could provide an example or 2 of the ‘wrongs’ and what type of reparations you envisaged.

It was a genuine ask to enhance this topic.

ETA - Unless we are at crossed wires.
Sorry!
Wrongs and reparations
None and none works for me

All living slaves taken from Africa by British slavers should be fully compensated.
You know, sometimes the simplest answers to some of the most complicated issues are staring you right in the face.

I salute you Sir.

Who do I send my bank details to?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A huge new 338-home housing estate will be built on an iconic Tameside factory site after planning chiefs gave it the green light.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I read the following quote the other day:

I existed in Triple [...] I was responsible not only for my body but also for my race and my ancestors. I cast an objective gaze over myself, discovered my [...] ethnic features; deafened by [...] racial stigmas, slave traders, [...]

The missing portions are done just to emphasise certain points.

The writer is this chap. He is bassically complaining that when people see his skin colour they racially define him. I wonder if our BLM chums are self-aware enough to see the irony? No, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Why shoud we have to forget it? Most people are ignorant to the fact it most high street brands due to outsourcing from 3rd world countries

Slagging off the British Empire? Stop buying from Topshop

Why shoud we have to forget it? Most people are ignorant to the fact it most high street brands due to outsourcing from 3rd world countries

Slagging off the British Empire? Stop buying from Topshop
Its gone bankrupt

Define slavery! This discussion could go on for eternity. I am no different from any "slave" if I wake up in the morning knowing I have to go to carry out my daily quota of work for people better off than me fiscally to provide my daily bread. Slave!

Define slavery! This discussion could go on for eternity. I am no different from any "slave" if I wake up in the morning knowing I have to go to carry out my daily quota of work for people better off than me fiscally to provide my daily bread. Slave!
Can you go on strike or tell the manager to do one and quit if you don't like it, without having to worry about being flogged to death.

Matt Kilcoyne​

Why Edinburgh’s Adam Smith statue should stay​

7 March 2021, 11:05am

In the wake of the Black Lives Matters protests last year, Edinburgh Council announced the creation of the 'Slavery and Colonialism Legacy Review Group'. Headed by Sir Geoff Palmer — an academic and human rights activist — the group is looking at all public memorials on council land that ‘perpetuated racism and oppression’ with the option of ‘removal or re-interpretation’ for problematic monuments.

Why Edinburgh's Adam Smith statue should stay | The Spectator

As Matt explains, Adam Smith made the case for free as opposed to slave labour. Could it be then that the real reason his name cropped up was as a key proponent of modern Capitalism? I'm in no doubt at all.

Poor old Edinburgh, under the Slavery cosh again with a quite significant one in St Andrews square!
Council Leader Adam McVey said: 'It's important that a more appropriate and factual description is in place so that people who visit the area can read about the monument and get an appreciation of Edinburgh's history, and particularly the City's role in the slave trade and the delay to its abolition.
'I'm grateful to the Councillors on the committee for approving permission for the final plaque.
'It is an important first step, to finalise a long-running process to tell a part of our City's history honestly.
'I look forward to the findings of the Edinburgh Slavery and Colonialism Legacy Review Group who will provide recommendations on next steps in addressing other features in the public realm across the City later this year.'

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Poor old Edinburgh, under the Slavery cosh again with a quite significant one in St Andrews square!
Council Leader Adam McVey said: 'It's important that a more appropriate and factual description is in place so that people who visit the area can read about the monument and get an appreciation of Edinburgh's history, and particularly the City's role in the slave trade and the delay to its abolition.
'I'm grateful to the Councillors on the committee for approving permission for the final plaque.
'It is an important first step, to finalise a long-running process to tell a part of our City's history honestly.
'I look forward to the findings of the Edinburgh Slavery and Colonialism Legacy Review Group who will provide recommendations on next steps in addressing other features in the public realm across the City later this year.'

Seems a more sensible approach than just ripping them down

Latest Threads