What must fall to make us forget slavery?

syrup

LE
Strangely enough I've never once heard or read anything about him criticising the involvement of the Black tribes in Sub-Saharan Africa in the slave trade, or about how they created a flourishing trade with the Arabs long before the White Man became involved.

Remember this is BLM history

Slaves can only be rounded up by blokes with Dick Van Dyke comedy accents.

"Cor Blimey Gov'ner why don't we round up these 'ere darkies and take them to America we wouldn't 'alf make a right profit me old two and eight"

Strangely enough I've never once heard or read anything about him criticising the involvement of the Black tribes in Sub-Saharan Africa in the slave trade, or about how they created a flourishing trade with the Arabs long before the White Man became involved.
He doesn't...he has a very selective narrative. He smugly rattles on about the British being beaten to West Africa by the Portugese, mentions Hawkins (as the villain of the piece) waylaying a Portugese ship and, taking their 300 slaves to sell in the West Indies. He conveniently fails to mention,it's the Portugese Slave trade that is running at the time and, over emphasises that,30 years later we are trading slaves,he also forgets to mention who the slaves are bought from. My answer to his peurile diatribe is...if we pull down all the statues,there is nothing to remind us about the horrendous trade and, more important for Prof. David Olusoga...he'd have sweet FA to talk about ! A self serving knob, who really wishes he was black !

The problem with all of this is memory.

Memory, contrary to popular thought, isn't there so you can reminisce about the good times, it's so your brain can understand what the bad things are and remember them and their context - it's about learning, experience and how to ensure the bad things can be avoided in the future when all the signs are pointing in a certain direction - this can be an instinctive flinch from an immediate threat or just a feeling of unease when things start to go a bit wrong.

Without this, we can't function in a dangerous 'now' let alone progress without making all the same mistakes again.

History is mankind's memory and the current movement to wipe out elements of history and rewrite other bits is no more than humanity's Alzheimer's Disease - literally - the description for AD is "ongoing decline of brain functioning. It can affect memory, thinking skills and other mental abilities" - that's what we're collectively suffering from and the disease is affecting us more and more as every day passes.

The problem with all of this is memory.
Not quite. The problem, in my opinion, is the advocates who are trying to 'change' our/the past, don't have a clue about it. Therefore they don't have a memory as it wasn't there in the first place, in their mindset. Where does it stop?
Here I'm not talking just about slavery. I mean changing/apologising for the way our/someones ancestors behaved. The different conflicts within our Fair Isle as far as Scots/English/irish/Welsh were concerned. What about the Romans/Alexander/ Gengis? Who exactly decides on what/where history should be 'sorted'? Absolute cringeworthy. Where are the people with the balls to tell them to do wan? Those people, both the prats who have no knowledge of history, and the ones who don't have the balls to tell them about their ignorance need a good shoeing. And breathe.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
Not quite. The problem, in my opinion, is the advocates who are trying to 'change' our/the past, don't have a clue about it. Therefore they don't have a memory as it wasn't there in the first place, in their mindset. Where does it stop?
Here I'm not talking just about slavery. I mean changing/apologising for the way our/someones ancestors behaved. The different conflicts within our Fair Isle as far as Scots/English/irish/Welsh were concerned. What about the Romans/Alexander/ Gengis? Who exactly decides on what/where history should be 'sorted'? Absolute cringeworthy. Where are the people with the balls to tell them to do wan? Those people, both the prats who have no knowledge of history, and the ones who don't have the balls to tell them about their ignorance need a good shoeing. And breathe.
The majority of the population I suspect, would have to google a statue to know who the person was and what they did. And if they're the type to google it, they're not wandering around looking at statues all day.

Do kids get taught history these days? Or is it all being picked up by watching the Crown etc?

Fair Isle has far too small a population to get into any wars or conflicts. Just subsistence farming and white settlers is their limit.

Just trying to help....

Remembering of course,the more history you destroy...the less schoolkids have to remember,the easier the exams ! ;-)

Edited because it isn’t 1960 anymore...
Shame - we could have nipped it in the bud then.

If you don't think there's an agenda (regardless of the curriculum) running through the education system from top to bottom you're naive at best, dangerous at worst.

Shame - we could have nipped it in the bud then.

If you don't think there's an agenda (regardless of the curriculum) running through the education system from top to bottom you're naive at best, dangerous at worst.
In Universities perhaps, but have you personally experienced this in junior and high school?

In Universities perhaps, but have you personally experienced this in junior and high school?
Personally? Is this like perceived lived experience being more important than facts?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

It would seem you are not in the UK because in this country we do not refer to junior and high school.

Niamac

GCM
Almost all military figures will upset someone
True but the one I look up to is Sir John Moore who in the UK when running training did a lot to ameliorate the life of the common soldier including abolishing flogging. He was involved in the open order revolution and the effective use of riflemen. In Spain his political masters gave him an impossible task which he did his best to complete. One of the hardest operations of war is a long retreat under fire. This he did well but paid for his success with his life since he was a fighting soldier and always at the middle of the action.

He was the only British commander that Napoleon was said to fear.

His statue is in George Square in Glasgow and I, personally, would be very sad to see misguided people taking it down.

1612356986915.png

Latest Threads