What must fall to make us forget slavery?

Poor old Havelock has bitten the bullet and had his street name taken down. Guru Nanak doesn't quite have the same ring!

A London council has been hit by a backlash after renaming a road that honoured the hero of Lucknow Sir Major General Henry Havelock after the founder of Sikhism.
A section of Havelock Road - named after the military leader who has a statue in Trafalgar Square - was officially renamed Guru Nanak Road in Southall, Ealing, on Monday.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Poor old Havelock has bitten the bullet and had his street name taken down. Guru Nanak doesn't quite have the same ring!

A London council has been hit by a backlash after renaming a road that honoured the hero of Lucknow Sir Major General Henry Havelock after the founder of Sikhism.
A section of Havelock Road - named after the military leader who has a statue in Trafalgar Square - was officially renamed Guru Nanak Road in Southall, Ealing, on Monday.

I suppose it's all part of Khan's great plan.

Proof that the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Proof that the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Love the jargon, who on earth can translate this tosh!
An equality impact assessment carried out as part of the review also concluded the statue would impact anybody who 'does not define themselves in binary gender terms'.
It read: 'The General Buller statue represents the patriarchal structures of empire and colonialism which impact negatively on women and anyone who does not define themselves in binary gender terms.

Love the jargon, who on earth can translate this tosh!
An equality impact assessment carried out as part of the review also concluded the statue would impact anybody who 'does not define themselves in binary gender terms'.
It read: 'The General Buller statue represents the patriarchal structures of empire and colonialism which impact negatively on women and anyone who does not define themselves in binary gender terms.

One assumes then they couldnt find anything to complain about in terms of slavery racism or homophobia and so now were down to - its a statue of a male general from a time when we didnt have statues of women generals** ergo it must be oppressing women

** Dont point out the obvious

UORMan

War Hero
Most people now complaining had/have no idea who most of these statues are of any way. Just "some old bloke on a horse" etc
Ironically some in Bristol, including the Mayor, are looking at a "reparation" fund for all those who have suffered. Perhaps if Bristol City Council hadn't started its own power company and lost about £40Million, they could have used some of that money.
Also we should exclude anyone from the West Coast of Africa, as their ancestors were as complicit in the crimes of slavery as mine. In fact possible more so, as 4 or 5 generations back my ancestors were all hanging around in Stirlingshire !!!!

I wonder what happens if someone who lives on the road keeps on using the old road name?

Also, google doesn't agree.

I also note that right next door to Havelock road is Kohat road... lets see what wiki has to say about its name sake:

So we're going to piss of either the Pakistani's (???) or assorted flavours of Sikh's with that road name. Better name it after a unifying force, that built infrastructure and kept the peace for a century... Empire Road?

Contact wait out!
The Royal Horticultural Society are at it now.
The president’s note (Mr Weed!), sent on New Year’s Eve, said it would affirm the ‘council’s commitment to supporting equality, diversity and inclusion throughout the organisation’.
Mr Weed said: ‘We live in a fast-changing world and the RHS needs to be able to respond more quickly and be more agile to create a charity fit for the future.’
Well James Wong did say gardening was racist.

I wonder what happens if someone who lives on the road keeps on using the old road name?

Also, google doesn't agree.

I also note that right next door to Havelock road is Kohat road... lets see what wiki has to say about its name sake:

So we're going to piss of either the Pakistani's (???) or assorted flavours of Sikh's with that road name. Better name it after a unifying force, that built infrastructure and kept the peace for a century... Empire Road?

Someone has beaten you to it. Late 70s there used to be a soap opera called Empire Road, set in a fictional multi-cultural area of inner city Birmingham.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps someone complained.