What must fall to make us forget slavery?

Yeah right.
I'll stick with my original definition thanks.
My reasoning is simple, you wouldn't utter 'Dislike', Disagree' or 'Dumb' during the course of a normal conversation because you would look like a pillock and come over as quite clearly thick or having something wrong with you.
Of course I tend not to use them myself because I prefer the effort of conversation, you can learn stuff using that method.
Sometimes you just know that you are going to gain nothing from an exchange with someone who displays a certain level of ignorance. In real life, I have walked away from people, shaking my head, and telling them to not be so stupid.

Sometimes you just know that you are going to gain nothing from an exchange with someone who displays a certain level of ignorance. In real life, I have walked away from people, shaking my head, and telling them to not be so stupid.
I am inclined to agree Joe but in my case I just walk away and do nothing.
I tend to think that silence is more damning than mong buttons.

Don't get me started on jargon, people who post using abbreviations and slang that mean nothing to those not in the know.
I can only suppose none of them did the Education Promotion Certificate (EPC) course at either basic or advanced level.
I was originally warned off jargon in the first classroom session of week one in juniors.

It was actually something very specific, as FF has alluded to. Percentages in a poll are unlikely to be exact, so will have to be rounded. Sometimes the sum of the rounded figures equals 100, sometimes it doesn't. Provided the rounding is done consistently, then there should be no problem.
Whatever. I just think if you round one set perfectly then both should be done that way. Or just go to one decimal point for it all. I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a little suspicious of some of these things especially given the misdirection being done with that particular chart. Some of the statistics being thrown around in this little issue even Gordon Brown wouldn’t have used in a Budget Statement and he had no shame at all.

Whatever. I just think if you round one set perfectly then both should be done that way. Or just go to one decimal point for it all. I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a little suspicious of some of these things especially given the misdirection being done with that particular chart. Some of the statistics being thrown around in this little issue even Gordon Brown wouldn’t have used in a Budget Statement and he had no shame at all.
Ebbe Skovdahl said:
Statistics are like mini-skirts - they give you good ideas but hide the important things.

I love thread drift. You couldn't make this up as a n anti-slavery ship name.

The third HMS Black Joke was probably built in Baltimore in 1824, becoming the Brazilian slave ship Henriquetta. The Royal Navy captured her in September 1827 and purchased her into the service. The Navy re-named her Black Joke, after an English song of the same name, and assigned her to the West African Squadron (or Preventive Squadron). Her role was to chase down slave ships, and over her five-year career she freed many hundreds of slaves. The Navy deliberately burnt her in May 1832 because her timbers had rotted to the point that she was no longer fit for active service.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The third HMS Black Joke was probably built in Baltimore in 1824, becoming the Brazilian slave ship Henriquetta. The Royal Navy captured her in September 1827 and purchased her into the service. The Navy re-named her Black Joke, after an English song of the same name, and assigned her to the West African Squadron (or Preventive Squadron). Her role was to chase down slave ships, and over her five-year career she freed many hundreds of slaves. The Navy deliberately burnt her in May 1832 because her timbers had rotted to the point that she was no longer fit for active service.
Congratulations on being at least the 3rd poster to bring this ship to the attention of the thread

Congratulations on being at least the 3rd poster to bring this ship to the attention of the thread
You can never have too much of a good thing!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I did a bit of digging into the background of this, and it seems that the song that the ship is named for is, er... a bit rude.

“The Black Joke” is (apparently) an 18th Century phrase for “The Hairy Cnut Front-bottom”. What an awesome name for a ship sent to twat naughty foreign johnnies doing bad things.

Ahoy there you dago bastards! This is His Majesty’s Ship, Hairy Cnut! Lower your sails and prepare to be boarded!”

Link to Black Joke lyrics

No mortal sure can blame ye man,
Who prompted by Nature will act as he can
With a black joke, and belly so white:
For he ye Platonist must gain say,
that will not Human Nature obey,
in working a joke, as will lather like soap,
and ye hair of her joke, will draw more yn a rope,

with a black joke, and belly so white.

I suppose the modern-day equivalent would be the RN commissioning a ship called HMS Shaven Clunge…

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
I was surprised to find that the last country to ban slavery was Saudi Arabia in 1964. But it's a difficult habit to break because they still recruit servants from the sub-continent and Asia and then confiscate their passports. No exit visa mean they are trapped in abusive, low paid (if at all) jobs and can't get out unless they can contact their own embassy. Not just Saudi either, I heard of white couples in London pulling the same stunt. I sometimes wonder how many of my ancestors were tied to the land in agricultural serfitude (think I invented a new word there) being of the labouring rural class. I want compo off of them Norman bastards.
They bankroll BAE and AIRBUS and so many more so we have to take our hands off thier throat a wee bit.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
All the companies who have benefited from it, who haven’t paid.
Looking at Merc, BMW, Hugo Boss, Puma, Audi, Adidas. Plus those giants Toyota, Nissan, Honda.
Wait a minute, did the british government block the massive money due to Northern Irelands victms of the Libyan semtex shipping to our southern (friends) who used it like Hitlers SS on people of thier Northern neighbours country

They bankroll BAE and AIRBUS and so many more so we have to take our hands off thier throat a wee bit.
I think you'll find that whilst BAE Systems does a lot of business in Saudi, most of the revenue stream comes from doing business elsewhere in the world.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apologies for the continuing thread drift, but here’s a version of ‘The Black Joak/Joke’ with lyrics.

Warning: As product of its time, it does contain racial stereotypes, so those of a nervous disposition should look away now.

Bollocks! It’s my cultural heritage! More ale, wench!

Blaise

Swinger
Lots of chat in this household about the sacking of Colston's statue, and the Bishope of Bath and Wells offering to get rid of a stained glass window, so that people descended from slaves can be appeased.

I thought arrse could help make a list of other items with strong slavery connections that will need to be destroyed if we are to rewrite history in this way. We could even select work parties from the BLM campaign to do the job (without pay of course).

Could I start the list with
a certain railway and famous bridge built 1942-5
The Colosseum
The Parthenon
The Pyramids
The Sphinx
Everything in the Valley of the Kings
Angkor Wat
Inca and Mayan buildings.

Please add your own suggestions. Full list to be sent to Saddiq Khan and his Commissars for re-writing London's history.
This is so ******* dumb that it deserves a pile of shit. Nobody ugested rewriting history. Just maybe not showing old *********' likenesses as if they were saints, instead admitting that they were absolute cnuts.

Latest Threads