What must fall to make us forget slavery?

If the law didn't change in response to changing attitudes in society, we would still be hanging homosexuals.

True. But thanks to the internet, we've now got better things to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon. We can just tune in to one of our Middle Eastern colleagues' channels and get a bit of variety: stonings, beheadings, defenestration (or should that detectumation?), you name it.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ... :twisted:

Your post misses the point entirely. I was simply reacting to what you wrote and at no point have I ever suggested that the law shouldn't change, in fact I'm arguing for greater definition around what appears to be accepted practice.
Loving this very lawful discussion. However they were guilty as sin.....

On another note if i didnt like er, got very enraged at a statue of some geezer that may or may not have killed some people who i felt sorry for does that mean i can go throw it in the canal and its not a crime? For example I get very mad at people who remind me of the death of our saviour at easter time. Can go round throwing all the eggs in the canal?

Chinggis

War Hero
Loving this very lawful discussion. However they were guilty as sin.....

On another note if i didnt like er, got very enraged at a statue of some geezer that may or may not have killed some people who i felt sorry for does that mean i can go throw it in the canal and its not a crime? For example I get very mad at people who remind me of the death of our saviour at easter time. Can go round throwing all the eggs in the canal?
That depends on whether or not you believed that the owner of the statue would have agreed to you throwing it the canal. If you really believed that - even if nobody else would have - you would have a defence. If you didn't really believe it you would have no defence.

The same goes for Easter eggs. :)

Last edited:
True. But thanks to the internet, we've now got better things to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon. We can just tune in to one of our Middle Eastern colleagues' channels and get a bit of variety: stonings, beheadings, defenestration (or should that detectumation?), you name it.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ... :twisted:

Well I'm not sure about that, but what I will say is that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

:)

Our system is predicated on the assumption that society generally shares a fundamental set of values which will, through the wisdom of crowds, broadly define the outcomes of jury decisions to society's satisfaction.
The problemn I see with that at the moment is that the "crowd" who all believe in a value are a loud minority, however the majority in the UK at least are still too polite to speak out or not bothered. Looking to the media, if you were to look at just the headlines you would get the impression that western society is a completely different place to what the common understanding is.

However, to go back to the original thread title, I don't believe anything must fall to make us forget slavery. I believe we must remember slavery in all its forms and actively fight against it "Now". The past is the past, learn from it but do not expect it to change or to be compensated for it.

The problemn I see with that at the moment is that the "crowd" who all believe in a value are a loud minority, however the majority in the UK at least are still too polite to speak out or not bothered. Looking to the media, if you were to look at just the headlines you would get the impression that western society is a completely different place to what the common understanding is.

However, to go back to the original thread title, I don't believe anything must fall to make us forget slavery. I believe we must remember slavery in all its forms and actively fight against it "Now". The past is the past, learn from it but do not expect it to change or to be compensated for it.
Anti woke walt.

Slime

LE
Not about slavery.More about the sculptor and what he did to his daughters, and the family dog.

What a man got up to in different times behind closed doors is of little concern; he slipped off this mortal coil in 1940. :twisted:

Besides, I wasn't protesting about taking a hammer to a statue. That's something of a minor hobby these days. No, it was to express my outrage at the perpetrator's flagrant abuse of, and contempt for, working at height and other safety regulations. He's still bound them even as a self-employed statue defacer. :evil:

Bordon/hants

War Hero
Good question. I’ve no idea why we give these people a platform.
There’s a lecturer from somewhere like Birmingham University ( black guy) who was openly anti Churchill and Britain’s history. He’s been on tv a few times.
What worries me is that if he’s happy to slate the Union Jack and Churchill on tv, what the hell is he saying to his students in the lecture halls?
If he is not happy why not relocate to the Caribbean?

No Chance,

David Olusoga, (born in Lagos, Nigeria, to a Nigerian father and British mother)........is well installed with the BBC now, does the "House through time" series and is a professional broken record hard done by and " It's all whitey's fault" go to "expert" for any comment regarding things slave related.

It's been hard for the poor dear of course being a person of hue;

And I could add another 100 or so links, if you Google his name and add "rascism" you get 50K hits!

His is a non stop bitter whinefest yet he seems to be coining it in and doing very nicely thank you so is going no-where as is set up for life with an adoring bunch of fans of his "work"

I wonder if a woke lawyer will be deploying the Bristol defence here?.

Not sure how that's going to work. He had plenty of time to plan it properly and ensure that he had the correct safety equipment. Where's his safety person for the ladder? What measures does he have in place to protect the public from falling debris, or a dropped hammer? I bet the bastard hasn't even conducted an environmental impact statement, let alone considered his own impact upon a passing member of the public should he fall. As for insurance, ...

Maybe we should go the "FBI's Al Capone" way. Hit them with charges arising from H&S and Environmental legislation.

Chinggis

War Hero
Well the verdict in the Bristol case doesn’t set any kind of precedent but there’s nothing to stop his lawyer using the same argument and the case being tried on its own merits (or lack of them). Trying to use that defence isn’t being “woke” it’s the lawyer doing his job.

I don’t think it would get anywhere for this one though. In the Bristol case counsel for two of the defendants said that they honestly believed that the owners of the statue (the people of Bristol, as they mistakenly thought) would have consented to the statue being pulled down. I can’t see how anyone convince a jury that they honestly thought the BBC would have consented to their statue being hammered.

If the prosecution could show that this bloke had ever used the Gill Sans font, that’s the defence buggered anyway. :-D

Well the verdict in the Bristol case doesn’t set any kind of precedent but there’s nothing to stop his lawyer using the same argument and the case being tried on its own merits (or lack of them). Trying to use that defence isn’t being “woke” it’s the lawyer doing his job.

I don’t think it would get anywhere for this one though. In the Bristol case counsel for two of the defendants said that they honestly believed that the owners of the statue (the people of Bristol, as they mistakenly thought) would have consented to the statue being pulled down. I can’t see how anyone convince a jury that they honestly thought the BBC would have consented to their statue being hammered.

If the prosecution could show that this bloke had ever used the Gill Sans font, that’s the defence buggered anyway. :-D
And BBC changed their logo font from Gill Sans last year...

Slime

LE

The idea of the ‘Bristol defence’ is a bit of a non starter imho.

The national MSM followed the Colston case closely, and to those unaware of events in the City it seems this latest lot are the only ones people know about, but they are just the latest in a long line of activists in court, with activists from certain protests being acquitted, while others from other protests have been found guilty.

On the acquitted front, it has become no surprise that the Elsabeths and Tarquins have been found not guilty, or been awarded compensation while the John and Sarah types have been found guilty.

While the MSM are all excited at the verdict in the Colston statue trial I’d suggest an awful lot of local people weren’t in the least bit surprised at the verdict, or choice of ‘expert’ witness for that matter……It’s not the first, second or third trial with a not guilty verdict :)

The ‘look at me’ event outside the Beeb last night might well be a copycat type affair, but for me there might be one or two court case in Bristol that are similar to the Colston case, but as yet no arrests have been made. If arrests are made then I would be shocked if the defendants get a not guilty verdict, they would be the wrong kind of defendant :)

Slime

LE
If he is not happy why not relocate to the Caribbean?

No Chance,

David Olusoga, (born in Lagos, Nigeria, to a Nigerian father and British mother)........is well installed with the BBC now, does the "House through time" series and is a professional broken record hard done by and " It's all whitey's fault" go to "expert" for any comment regarding things slave related.

It's been hard for the poor dear of course being a person of hue;

And I could add another 100 or so links, if you Google his name and add "rascism" you get 50K hits!

His is a non stop bitter whinefest yet he seems to be coining it in and doing very nicely thank you so is going no-where as is set up for life with an adoring bunch of fans of his "work"

You are being a tad harsh on him.
I seem to recall he does quite like a bit of IKEA furniture, so is doing his bit to support modern slavery ;)

Labour Party MP Barry Gardiner suggests new replacement for the Colston statue -

Screenshot_20220113-212919_Twitter.jpg

Latest Threads