Bit of obscure soul funk

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Christonnabike....I was in Hong Kong when that damn song came out :-D

Thanks for the startled memory.

Hint: It was still British then.......

BB342DB0-20DF-4E39-BBA5-1AF27CD7346D.jpeg

The top bit of the week’s ‘trunk of funk’.
It‘s an old shoe box of CDs, refreshed for the week. And the CDs are old, so listening to anything but normal radio as I commute in Mrs R’s old (but sound) Golf is good.
The bottom left CD are ace. The Machete are a local band (here in the S Hampshire badlands). One of the chaps on the label, when he is not being a guitar player, runs the Southwick Brewhouse beer shop.
The Golden Lion is next door, as Southwick House is feet away.
Cracking pub. Ike liked a pint, Monty was fruit juice only.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Lawks....I used to work on Portsdown Hill just up from there :)

Now playing:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The rather lovely Taimane Gardner and Jake Shimabakura doin they thang:

- two ukulele adepts just having a quiet little jam, making this stuff look easy.

(Clue: it isn't)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@beefer Nope, fair Q - cos most people expect to see four tuners on a uke.

According to an answer from the lady herself, it's actually a hand-built Tenor ukulele, fitted with a low G string - much like Taimane :)

So two top strings.

She's a bit quick - watch this little laptop jam session - and see if you can spot the moment she takes a thumb-pick from the headstock, fits it, and cracks on without dropping a beat......

- she's rehearsing in her frontroom pre-Covid with her pal Jazzy in the background.

ETA: some of the comments on the Youtube version crack me up:

' After this - the Uke smoked a cigarette '

' this has really inspired me to sell my ukulele '

' Satan: you want to trade your soul in exchange for unearthly skills playing WHAT?
Taimane: you heard me. '

PS @pc flaps - yeah Bass ukes are quite common....most uke groups have at least one bass uke player ...we have two regular bass players and a lass who is learning it.

This gal is playing an acoustic-electric U-Bass.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've always loved Santana's percussion backing - here's Carlos revving it up with some old gammon in flip-flops.....

A friend got me onto Cam Cole a few weeks ago and his music is feckin' awesome, I've been trawling YouTube for all his performances and songs since, just raw blues rock

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Ciggie

GCM
Makes it look soooooooooo easy. Bastard !!!! ;)

Latest Threads